What's new

Good 2ch Amp for $2K (1 Viewer)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Count me in the Bryston 3B-ST (or 4B-ST) camp. I noticed that one of your speaker selections is the N804. As it turned out, I had a pair of those hooked up to my 3B-ST for a few days to demo them and I cranked the output to the point of being uncomfortable 20 feet away and the Bryston did not clip (you would see the green lights turn red).
Also, look around on Canadian web sites (www.canuckaudiomart.com) for used Brystons. They are usually hundreds less than purchasing through Audiogon (mainly US based).

Yogi

Screenwriter
Yogi: Can you give me a little more detail on this Proceed Amp? Specs? Price (used)?
The Proceed can be had for around 2K in the used market. Its a dual monoaural 100 lbs beast that doubles its wattage down to 2 ohms. 250@8/500@4/1000@2. MSRP $3250.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Aragon 8008ST. This is a great amp!! I think before you choose your amp. Pick your speakers first! The speakers you stated are all over the price range. Spending a little less on speakers frees up cash for better amps. Also make sure the speakers fit the rest of your system. Of your list I prefer the F50's the most but for $8k, you can get used Revel Studios for 6500.00 or used B&W N802's for 5500.00. Go with the used market and get better speakers!!

Good Luck
Mike

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I'm getting into options overload. I think Mike and others make a great point about picking my speakers first. Since my eyes have been opened to the used market for amps, it seems that once I decide on speakers I may have an easier time makeing the right amp decision.

Based on what I have listened to in the past, IMHO (no flaming please):

Aerial - goes well with Bryston
Revel - qoes well with Classe

B&W - Only thing I have ever heard with B&W Nautilus line is Mcintosh, no idea about these others, other than the comments in this thread.

I have never heard the PS Audio HCA-2, the Proceed HPA2, or the Aragon 8008st.

I have heard the Rotel, but only with Energy speakers.

All of these are great pieces of equipment--I probably can't go wrong anyway I slice it, but it seems that I have some more listening to do.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Proceed and Revel are made by Madrigal and mate very very well the only better mate with a Revel is a Mark Levinson.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Rotels and B&W are a know match. Link Removed 's review of the MRB-1095 was done with B&W (N802's I think).
Marc

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Bryston is basically bright and forward with excellent bass. Classe', like McIntosh, is basically warm and laidback with a seductive midrange and a polite top end. Proceed is fairly neutral throughout the spectrum; it's basically a budget Levinson. Neutrality, however, is not necessarily always a good thing.

I would personally mate Classe' or McIntosh with B&W, as their speakers are a bit on the bright and forward side. Aerial is one of the few speakers I like Bryston with, as the speakers are exceedingly warm, laidback, and not overly analytical or resolving of the Bryston's shortcomings, which consist of brightness and a lack of refinement compared to other amps around or above its price range. Michael Kelly, the designer of Aerials, however, swears by Classe' with Aerials. He also recommends the Theta if you're a bit more budget minded. The former combination is a bit too dull in my opinion, but the latter combinationis rather nice. With Revel, who makes a pretty neutral speaker, I would go with Proceed or possibly Classe' or McIntosh.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
The Rotel 1090 is 380wpc@8Ohm and is in the $2000 range. I got mine for $1800 new from a local Rotel dealer. My Revel F-30 are 6Ohm and the amp puts out 500wpc@6Ohm. Good speakers like lots of power IMO.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Darrel,
One of the guys who works as an installer at a local high-end A/V store told me that he has the exact same combo of the Revel F-30's and the Rotel 1090 and loves it.

He said this to me while the saleman, who always tries to push the most expensive stuff, was out of the room....

BTW how do you like your F-30's? They are definitely high on my list. I'd love to go up to Studios or F-50's but doubt that the budget will really allow.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Thought I would post a follow-up on this thread for anyone who is interested or was nice enough to provide input.

I still have not completely made up my mind on speakers yet though I am heavily leaning toward Revel's.

After getting all of the input in this thread I went back to the showrooms and did some more listening. I found that I really like the Revel/Classe and Aerial/Classe combinations. With that in mind I set out to find a used Classe CA-201 or 200.

I picked up a CA-201 on Audiogon for $1850 (hopefully that is a good price). It should be here around the end of the week. Thanks to all for your advice.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Just noticed your response to my post today. Sorry for not replying earlier.

It took me two years to find a pair of speakers to replace my 14 year old Klipsch. I was leaning to wards the Vandersteen 3A Signatures. But, heard the Revel and their mid-range just caught my ears. I'm waiting for Klipsch/Mondial to begin their upgrade on my Act-3 pre/pro and that should make the Revel that much more enjoyable.

Hope you find your speakers that make your system sing.

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
another very good amp is the Cinepro 1Ks, this amp will blow a lot of the big boy amps in the trash, try to listen to one you will be impressed and its stable down to a 2 ohm load, a lot of clean power here!
Mark

KeithR

Second Unit
Not quite Darrel....it's called wasting a dealer's time. I have no problem picking things up used (and do all the time), but scouring dealers to audition all sorts of stuff, but then buying off the internet is just plain wrong if that is the original intention. If you want to buy used, go off recommendations etc. and pick it up and flip it if it doesn't work. That is the beauty of audiogon. However, ethically it is just wrong if you go the other route.

Back to the thread--make sure you audition the Revels several times as they have a hot tweeter...and F30s are in a price range where many (imho better) alternatives exist. Vandys are wonderful, agreed. Although, wish they were more aesthetically pleasing.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
scouring dealers to audition all sorts of stuff, but then buying off the internet is just plain wrong if that is the original intention
If that is only business you are doing with the dealer then in general I agree with you. But don't feel too bad for the dealer in this case--I have done a considerable amount of business with them in the past and have plans to do even more in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks