What's new

Good 2 channel receiver to push Atoms (1 Viewer)

Mark Robillard

Auditioning
I auditioned a pair of Paradigm Atoms v.3 using my Yamaha RX-V3300 and they were a knock-out! I've ordered a pair of the new v.4's to give to my parents.

I noticed while auditioning the Atoms that they are not very efficient and took a lot out of my amp! ( I now recognize that my Monitor 11's are easy to drive.)

I also purchased a Sony STR-GX49ES (60 watt RMS) for them on ebay for $150. The seller claimed the 1992 original MSRP was $800? The receiver is absolutely mint condition, though maybe I should have done a little homework here first.

Will their Sony be enough to push the Atoms?

The only thing it will be used for is 2 channel CD playback and AM/FM. Which by the way, is it asking too much to have an antenna built in? Their $10 table-top radio picks up better than the Sony with ext wire attached!

Thanks

amp specs at docs.sony.com/release/STRGX49ES.PDF

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It should be fine. I drove some v3s with my Marantz PM7000 (true 95x2) and I found that they didn't really benefit from having a ton of power.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I concur with John. I had a pair of v.3's on a NAD c370 (120watt x 2), and it really was a waste of headroom. Now they are on an ancient Pioneer VSX receiver and still have plenty of headroom.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you already have the receiver, it should be fine. If you become dissatisfied with it, for any reason, I would suggest an nice integrated amp from NAD or Cambridge Audio or Arcam as a future replacement. Better amplification than standard receivers and, by the time you do change, there may not be any stereo receivers left (except maybe the new one from Outlaw).

mackie

Supporting Actor
I recently got a reconditioned Denon DRA - 685 delivered to my house for less than $300. It's got a solid power supply(100w+100w) and doesn't cost a fortune. I highly recommend.

Mark Robillard

Auditioning
Yes, they are using the receiver now with an old pair of TEAC 3-ways with one of the 12" woofers replaced with a radio shack driver.

I now feel better about the purchase, and can't wait for them to hear the Atoms!

Though they still ask about better AM/FM reception, maybe that should be a different thread...

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks