What's new

Good 2 channel preamp with pass through? (1 Viewer)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I currently own an Outlaw 950 and I'm looking to improve my two channel performance. Is there such thing as a clean sounding two channel preamp that will pass through the Outlaw's signal when I want to decode in 5.1? Actually, couldn't I just hook up the Outlaw's front two channels into one of the preamp's analog inputs?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yes, some 2 ch preamps have what's called a HT bypass input, which provides unity gain for the Outlaw's 2 channels that you send to it. Similar functionality may be provided by other 2 ch amps. Then just connect your 2 ch sources directly to the other 2 ch inputs of the preamp and your 2 main amp channels to the preamp's 2 ch outputs, and you're ready to go.

Others can chime in on specific Brands and Models; Sonic Frontiers, Rogue, and the like. I have no experience with them (yet). However, if you're looking for a discernible difference relative to the 2 ch performance of the Outlaw, you may want to consider a tube-based preamp. However, I have no experience in this, either.

Doug

Marc H

Second Unit
Adcom GFP750
Stereophile 'Class A' recommended. Absolutely neutral sound in either passive or active mode.
I've got one and love it.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Peter,

I have been using the Rogue 66 Magnum 66 tube preamp with HT unity gain bypass (one flick of a switch, and you can even turn the Rogue OFF when not using it). Retail $1649 with the magnum version and HT unity gain. My version has the remote control (with the 66, you either get the remote or phono, but not both).

I sent you a private message.

www.rogueaudio.com

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I'm looking for something hopefully below $500 used. DO these preamps have any form of bass management?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
No analog stereo preamp does bass management because as you are familiar with it as in DVD players, Surround Processors or HT receivers it is all done in the digital domain. The only way to to do some bass management with an analog signal is to insert an equalizer or a subwoofer with crossover options between the preamp and amp.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
The adcom GFP-750 can be had on the used market for about $700. In its stock form it is very good as a 2 channel Pre and the processor bypass loop works very well. I just sent mine out to Musical Concepts to be modified--I am hoping it comes back sounding close to a Pass X-1--we will see.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have to limit your search to preamps with a 'HT bypass' or a 'unity gain input'. Any 2-channel preamp with a tape-loop will perform the same function.

Here is a list of stereo preamps with a homtheater bypass:

Adcom GFP 750
Advantage S2
Arcam Alpha 9C (discontinued)
bel canto PRe1
Classe CP65
Densen Beat 200
Linn Klimax Kontrol
Linn Kolektor
Naim NAC 112
Naim NAC 202
Naim NAC 252
Naim NAC 282
Naim NAC 552
Primare PRE30 PreAmplifier
Sim Audio MOON P-3
Sim Audio MOON P-5

To Joe:
A preamp with tape-loop will NOT perform the sam function.

Regards

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Peter,

The Sony TA-P9000es would work too...it's a passive preamp with two 5.1 inputs and a 2 channel input. see oade.com Retail $700, used less, but hard to find.

The Anthem Pre2L tube preamp has a HT bypass too, they go for under 600 used.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
You don't have to limit your search to preamps with a 'HT bypass' or a 'unity gain input'. Any 2-channel preamp with a tape-loop will perform the same function.
I'm not sure how you use the tape loop for this but I agree that 'unity gain' and 'HT bypass' are not necessary - just a touch more convenient. I've just calibrated my fronts with the preamp volume set to a particular point and remember to set it for that when using the HT input.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Since I have bookshelf speakers, I guess I'll also need to invest in some sort of external crossover if I use one of these preamps?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Crossover not necessarily required.

For movies of course you would still be using the Outlaw, so you have a crossover there. Bookshelves can be somewhat satisfying on their own if they are just playing music when run fullrange. Problems would really only be present when listening to rap, techno, bombastic symphonies, or organ music.

Also other methods to add a subwoofer for supplementing the lowend exist. If the preamp you get has dual outputs you could connect your subwoofer to those lineoutputs and then just set the subwoofer crossover to match your bookshelves low end response. Also some subs like REL and Audio Physic allow you to run cables off of your front channels amp speaker connections and then do the same thing with the crossover setup.

Dan_Shore

Auditioning
Add the Audio Research SP16 to the list of Pre Amps that have a Processor Loop.

I compared the ARC SP16 to the Adcom that others have mentioned and it was no contest. The ARC was much better against passive and active mode of the Adcom. Yes the ARC does have a higher list price, but the difference was so much better for the slight additional cost IMHO.

Later....Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks