What's new

Good 1st quarter 2009 for vintage TV-on-DVD fans (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Joe,

Great post. Your entry in TV/DVD closely matched my timeline as well and Lost in Space S1 was among my earliest TV/DVD buys. I also try to look at the TV/DVD market as a "glass half-full" vs half-empty. I've seen several of my favorite shows released as well, most of mine are on your list. One that's my top- 5 favorite shows has been released completely, "Combat!" '62-'66. Like you, I'd never have imagined that this one would get a complete-series release, as well as Time Tunnel.

I try to take a positive approach with TV/DVD but I will say this, and I know it agrees with some others here. Since the recent CBS/P releases of The Fugitive and My Three Sons, with their complete music underscore replaced, my view on TV/DVD has changed since the earlier days of the market. That decision by CBS/P, imo, has set the vintage TV/DVD perception back considerably. Fortunately, CBS/P is still releasing some vintage sets with intact original scores, ie Mannix, Rawhide, Perry Mason, The Invaders, etc.

However, bottom line for me, looking back at '03 or so, I agree with your post. If someone had told me back then that Combat! and Time Tunnel, Rat Patrol, and some others would see complete series releases on DVD, I'd have said, Sure....and I'll sell you some beachfront real estate in Dallas :D

Bob mentioned a major point, though, with those WB catalog titles as yet unreleased.... among my wants also are his mention of Hawaiian Eye," "77 Sunset Strip", The F.B.I." and "12 O'Clock High" (Fox). 1st-rate list, Bob :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

For the most part I agree with you. 99% of it will be about the bottom line - sales. But I know for a fact that if a series is "on the edge" (numbers wise) two things can make a difference. The first is if there's a exec in high places that likes a show, or is an advocate for the show, it can make a difference. I have no idea if FATHER KNOWS BEST has any such advocate roaming the halls of Shout Factory, but it would be nice. Second, if a studio has a bunch of titles they are juggling, they might opt to put one on the backburner because the numbers aren't great but they have other shows they are making better money off of. If that same company didn't have as many irons in the fire they might be more inclined to keep the show in question moving, as long as the numbers are close. So I do think Shout's larger inventory as of late could undermine FKB, although I admit it wouldn't be a large percentage of the equation. The bottom line is always sales first and foremost. Let's hope FKB made the grade on that front.

I also agree with Bob that there's still a lot of un-mined gold in them there hills. Have we made inroads into some of the more well known classics? Sure. But there's still a good bit of material out there, and I'm not just talking about obscure titles. The ones Bob mentioned from the WB and Ziv catalog are the best examples. And he did a great job reminding us of some of the abandoned series (I'd add FLIPPER to the list). Then there are still shows that even CBS/Paramount has sitting in their vaults. THE LUCY SHOW comes to mind right off the bat. That's definitely not an obscure title. There are dozens more, but I'll leave that for others.

Gary "good points all the way around" O.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Shout! has already begun working on Father Knows Best season 3 according to Brian Ward per his post at sitcomsonline.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I just confirmed it myself! Brian Ward has indeed hinted that Season 3 is being worked on! That's not quite the same as an official announcement, but the fact that they are working on it is a pretty good indicator we'll see it sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info Chris.

Gary "my happy-meter just went up a few notches after reading that great news" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I am really looking forward to all seasons of this series. I just finished season two last week. Bring 'em on! (I'd also love to see season one reissued. :emoji_thumbsup:)

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Somebody mentioned THE PAPER CHASE above, and I don't think that it even got its own thread (unlike ROOM 222). But it's a great show that deserves support.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Out of the the first quarter TV-on-DVD releases in 2009, I plan on getting:
Get Smart - The Complete Second Season
Bewitched - The Complete Seventh Season

The rest, obviously, I really don't care for.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

It really surprises me that it is taking so long to get an official season DVD set of The Lucy Show on DVD. I mean ... the show stars the Queen of Comedy for peep's sake! Not to mention that it was one of the most popular programs back in the 60s (even surpassing the well-known ones that are in constant syndication in ratings/rankings such as Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched, Andy Griffith Show, I Dream of Jeannie, Hogan's Heroes, ect). I just don't quite understand why CBS/Paramount has been slow in releasing this series especially since it has been a couple of years now of the final release of I Love Lucy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks