good 10" woofer?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Travis-J, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

I bought an old pair of sony speakers. I now realize are more or less useless. $15 what can I expect. But the cabinets are pretty sturdy. I'd like to replace the woofer and tweeter. What are some good not stupidly priced woofers?
    I also need some suggestion for a tweet, I think it's 3 Inches. and C) what would I need in the way of Xovers etc.
    keep in mind Im a newb, nothing too technical plz.
    [​IMG]

2. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I don't have much to say on the subject because I don't FULLY understand crossovers as much as others here... BUT.. there was a time when I asked a question like that and the general answer I got was that it's not worth the trouble. Someone might be able to give your more info, but from what I remember, trying to adapt drivers to a certain cabinet and crossover is just too much of a hassle and you're better off designing it from scratch if you're really wanting to build speakers - which it doesn't seem you are. I've been in the same situation though [​IMG]

3. Travis-J

Travis-J Agent

Im definately willing to start from scratch, if necisary. But I had hoped to be able to use the cabinets since I already had them. Any suggestions for relatively inexpensive surround speakers would be great. DIY or otherwise

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I suggest going to partsexpress and first looking up all the drivers that can be used as a direct replacement.

Then post the driver part numbers here, and then somebody could probably suggest a pre-fabricated crossover to go with them.

5. Christer W.

Christer W. Extra

I second the PartsExprss route. They also have fairly knowledgable technical help over the phone. If you tell them what you are trying to replace, they will be able to recommend an appropriate crossover to go with the drivers they suggest.

You should be able to get very good performance for about 75-100 per speaker for drivers and crossover.

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Sorry, but I have to disagree, especially if you're going to spend $150-200 for a pair of speakers. If you want to DIY then DI right. It doesn't make sense to make the easiest part of the project the criteria for the more complicated part. Building enclosures is not that tough. Matching drivers and crossovers is. There are several people on this forum that have gone to great lengths to provide the rest of us with the information necessary to build great speakers for a bargain price. Put the Sonys in the garage or whereever and start out with some nice simple two-ways and a decent sub based on a design you know will work. It'll be well worth the effort and the extra waiting time. Better than spending the money and being disappointed.