Gonna get a new Tosh 53HX71 soon, but I need info!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Nov 22, 2001.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have a 11 year old Mitsubishi 37" Direct-View TV. Its been real good over the years, but its been showing its age. The colors are kinda screwed up and unnatural, the black level has turned to gray (not dark gray, GRAY!), and some other weird stuff is happening to it. So we're thinking of buying a new TV. We've been thinking about it for awhile, but still not sure.

The 53HX71 is a 4:3 HD-Ready TV. Im getting a 4:3 since about 80% of my family's viewing is in 4:3.

anyways, does anybody have any info/reviews of this TV? Do you think its smart to buy it right now? will the prices go down anytime soon?

I mean, i really want a new TV, but kinda apprehensive in getting my family (ie, my dad) to spend all that money. Are toshiba's good TVs? Worth the money? Would you replace the TV if you were in my position?

I've got a deal for $3,162 + $35 Delivery + 14% Tax at futureshop (bestbuy now). They said that if the price goes down from now until like a week after Xmas, they'll give us the difference, but i dunno bout the fine print on that. If i do get this, i can either see if i can get the local ISF tech (more on that later) to calibrate it, or buy AVIA and calibrate it with that. But if i do it myself with Avia, how close to a ISF calibration will it be? 80%? 70%?

When i get it home, what should i do with it? For $3,162 it doesnt come with calibration, but at a local TV store, i saw it a month ago for about $3,500 with free delivery and ISF Calibration. It might've gone down in price, or they might gimme a better price since I kinda know the ISF Tech there.

What do you guys think? Please reply!

2. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I'd say shop around. I got mine (same TV) at a local shop for around the same price you were quoted from Futureshop. Free delivery and in-home service.

The thing that worries me about Futureshop is the service. How do you get the TV fixed by them? Do they send the TV out for service? You may not see your set for some time if repairs are needed.

My local shop (where I bought) has there own Toshiba trained service men. This puts my mind at ease when thinking about future maintenance.

However, A&B Sound offered to beat the price paid by at least $100. It was very tempting, they were also going to work out a deal for a center channel upgrade. But in the end I thought that the service provided by a local dealer was worth the $100.

I guess I've contradicted myself a little. Basically shop around and get a price war going in your favour. Try to get that local shop down in price. Be stubborn.

By the way, the 53HX71 has been awesome. I highly recommend it. Also recommend getting the Avia Disc for calibration.

Good luck.

3. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

I got the H71 a few days ago and I have mixed feelings about the set.

First off- the set has tremendous amount of red push. That is contrary to what I had read previously about Toshiba sets.

Second the menu system is very inconvenient.

You get only one memory per input and if you decide to change a parameter, you will loss the previous on and you need to dig well inside and go to torch mode(hi contrast) first to change things around. Working around the menu is painful as the set puts up a full page of torch mode items on the screen and you never see the effect of your changes til you get rid of the menu!!

The skin tone is one of the worse I have seen. we are talking pure orange here. Otherwise it could have been a good set.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Mahmood, red push is certainly not a trait normally attributed to Toshiba sets. Have you confirmed a red push problem with the Avia DVD?

The set does indeed have seperate picture setting memories for Cable TV, Video 1/2/3 (they share one memory), Colorstream 1 and Colorstream 2. There seems to be a bit of a bug in the software though that if all memories are not set to 'Preference', they all seem to change to whatever TV is set to.

5. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. It is nice to hear from other owners.

The Avia showing 10% red push. The memory system works fine but one per input requires a deep digging if you just want to change the color temp. In this respect I like the sony's with a direct access on the remote. Also is there any way to turn the crts off/on in another mode than convergence mode? The sets puts out a decent image but as I previously mentioned the skin tone is really a deep orange. I settled for reducing the color and hue to 40.

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

10% is a bit on the high side for Toshiba's, but about average for the industry. Unfortunately, there is no known way to adjust the colour decoder in these sets. Color temp isn't something that normally needs adjusting, so burrying it in the menus seems appropriate to me. AFAIK, there is no way of turning off individual CRTs, unfortunately.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Nick,
    I know you're a big Toshiba fan. The only other sets that meet your requirements are the Sony and Hitachi, though the Hitachi will only do a true squeeze for 1080i, still not for 480p.
    I also know you don't like Sony so I'd think you'd be a lot more comfortable with the Tosh.
    As far as calibration goes, you should be able to get a quite acceptable picture on a Toshiba with just an AVIA calibration initially, they and the Sonys seem to be pretty well dialed in at the factory compared to an Hitachi.
    Mahmood,
    10% red push isn't especially high, most sets run around 15%, with the Mits sets around 25%.
    Turning down color to compensate for a 10% red push shouldn't adversely effect saturation of other colors very much at all.
    If that doesn't work, you may have more of a grayscale problem than a color decoder problem, which could be corrected with the cut and drive settings in the service menu.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Nick,
    Not psychic, but I've read a lot of your posts in other threads.
    I think we all have our own pet brands, and frankly I love my new Sony KP57HW40 and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Sony has always been a favorite of mine for direct view sets as I've had excellent luck with them. I have a 15 year old XBR in my bedroom with probably 300,000 "miles" on it that still looks great.
    I had a 98 model V-series Sony rptv that I returned after 2 weeks so haven't been a great fan of Sony for rptvs. Up until recently have been a great fan of Hitachi rptvs, having had excellent performance from an analog Ultravision rptv, but the HD ready 16/9 model I bought to replace it was only in my home for a couple of weeks before I returned it for the Sony, which has been excellent for over a month now.
    I am open-minded enough to accept that Toshiba also makes a great tv, and even though my personal preference is for the new line of Sonys, would not hesitate to recommend a Toshiba to anyone who for whatever reason is turned off to Sony.
    So enjoy your new Toshiba Nick, and best of wishes!!