Gonna drive y'all nuts yet...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JeremyR, Jan 9, 2004.

1. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    The discussion on PCM when Vince brought up the cd player leads me to another question. I have the cd player hooked up to the tape input using rca cables on the receiver, since for some bizarre reason the cd player/dvd player shares the same input. Since I have the dvd player hooked up optical cable on that input, I'm using the tape input. For some reason, my receivers "clip" indicator comes on when I'm using the cd player. It isn't like this all the time, and it seems to stay on almost solid if I turn the volume up a little. This is the only one that gives me problems though, I've been able to turn it up as loud as I want to otherwise using every other input, my satellite, my dvd player, vcr, etc. Any thoughts?

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Why do you have both going to same input?
    Don't do that............Give them each their own inputs.The receiver is probably confused by two different sources in the same inputs.

3. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Nothing is sharing an input. The DVD player is using the CD/DVD input. The CD player is connected to the tape input since I don't have a tape player. So everything has it's own separate input. And the "clip" indicator light comes on only when I'm playing CD's. Does it maybe have something to do with the line level coming through the cd player's jacks?

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

What type of receiver do you have? I have a Pio vsx810 with the analog audio outs from the tv going to aux in on the receiver. The overload indicator comes on if I turn the volume source on the tv up to high.

Tod

5. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    It's a Kenwood VR-507. But shouldn't the cd-player out signal just be a line-level signal? Aren't they all the same? I'm pretty stupid with this stuff.

6. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Jeremy,

I have the same receiver as you.

I thought the inputs were wierd on the unit, too. Here's what I did. I use the DVD/6-channel input for my DVD's digital signal. I use the CD/DVD input for my CD player's analog input (I believe that the stock setup for the CD/DVD input is for a digital input, so if you're using RCA cables from your CD player, you'll have to switch the setup to analog to hear the signal).

Look at the remote and it will make more sense. The input select button on the remote for the CD/DVD is labeled "CD" on the remote. The button on the remote for DVD/6-channel is labeled "DVD." Try this and see if that works.

Another thing, I don't know about the tape input, but the CD/DVD input has an attenuator to knock off 3 or 6dB from the signal. Maybe your CD player's signal is just a little hot and causing the input, or maybe the tape input just can't handle the CD player's signal. You may need to experiment with the attenuator to find a setting that works.

JKS

7. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy. I might experiment with that, I saw a section in the manual that talked about adjusting the inputs if the "clip" indicator comes on so maybe I need to do that. I'd imagine the player will say it's output so I'll know what to adjust it to.

What kind of speakers are you running with that receiver? I am retiring the speakers that came with it when I got the HTIB, and am replacing them with Paradigm Titans for fronts, Atoms for surrounds, and CC-170 for the center. I actually love the receiver except for that strange input setup.

8. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

I couldn't stand running the "mains" that came with the HTIB, so I switched back to the old Pioneers that I used through college. I still use the center and small surrounds that came with the HTIB, but I've been thinking about switching the small surrounds for the HTIB "mains" to see what that sounds like.

I hope to upgrade all speakers someday, but that probably won't be until we move to our next house (hopefully, with a room for dedicated HT [​IMG]). The main upgrade I've done was the sub. I built a 290L DIY Tempest subwoofer that blows away the Kenwood sub (which was quite capable for being included in an entry-level HTIB).

Happy experimenting! Let us know if you solve your problems.

JKS

9. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Sorry.........I mis-understood what I read.
    You said something about something sharing an input........
    Musta been in a hurry.........