1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Gonna buy the 50H81, but I'm nervous!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Tyrone, Oct 12, 2001.

1. John Tyrone

John Tyrone Agent

Hi. O.K, I've decided to get the 50h81 at Sears over the weekend and hope they will do the internet price match. My wife and I watch mostly directv and dvd. She's a news junkie,(I'll have to explain to her about burn in from logos), and all I watch are movies,(and most recently Band of Brothers).
    When I bought this house I got the elliptical dish and the dolby digital reciever. Now I know I'm going to need the hd reciever, any recommendations and good prices? Isn't the rca an rgb input? Do I need a converter?
    Also, I don't have avia or anything yet. Can someone give me some numbers to turn the levels to when I get the tv until I find the calibration software?
    I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get an extended warranty. Some people mentioned not to pay more than 40.00 for delivery, is this correct? I'm excited, and nervous, this is a very expensive purchase for the family and I want it to last.
    John

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

John:
    You will definitely enjoy HD, and you should try not to be nervous about the purchase.
    Of the various STBs, the DTC-100 is the least expensive, but you are correct that you will have to buy a "transcoder" to use it with a Toshiba TV. They are all about the same price, $130. I have RCAs transcoder and it works perfectly. The others I am sure work as well. The DTC will not come with the latest firmware, so the picture will look funny when you first try to hook it up. Don't be worried. Overnight after you first hook it up you will automatically receive the newest version by a download from DirecTV. Then, you need to go into the menu, then assistance, then monitor set up to change to the correct raster timing. There will be three choices. The top is for an RCA TV. The middle is for other TVs if you don't use the RCA transcoder. The bottom is if you use the RCA transcoder. At that point the picture should be great.
    If you get the Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Sony or Panasonic STB, they all have component cable outputs, and you will not need a transcoder. Their base price is more expensive.
    Many people have bought STBs that were returns. If you do, you can get a great value. But, beware. They don't always have the DirecTV access card. If you buy an open box unit, make sure it has the card.
    It is easy to find the AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs these days. You should definitely use them to tweak your picture. For starters, turn the contrast down to about 1/3 to 2/5 and the brightness down to about 1/2. That should prevent problems til you can set it up correctly.
    Good luck.
    SMK