What's new

Gone With the Wind physical copies are now sold out everywhere... (Thanks to HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Do we know if anyone in the real world called these episodes offensive or are these cases of the streaming services being a little overzealous in self censorship? If so I can certainly agree with the idea that self censorship (out of fear) can be based in ignorance and I would go so far as to say it might actually fall under the "soft bigotry of lowered expectations" category, in that those doing the censoring don't trust that their audience is savvy enough to "get it." I mean, it's in some ways understandable as every major corporation is panicking right now (it's a sign of the times) but I imagine cooler heads will eventually prevail (I hope.)

In the case of 30 Rock, it was reportedly Tina Fey who asked for the episodes to be pulled, in an attempt to get ahead of the issue before someone else remembered those jokes and called for her head. Nevertheless, that didn't stop The Daily Beast from publishing an article the next day decrying Fey as the most racist woman in America. The writer of the article (a white woman, of course) feigned offense at the show's use of ethnic caricatures for some of its black, Hispanic, and Asian characters - but was apparently not bothered that the white characters such as Kenneth (an inbred hillbilly), Jenna (a privileged white b***h), and Jack (an alpha male Republican dripping in toxic masculinity) were also exaggerated caricatures.

I don't know who made the decision to pull the Community episode.

(Post Edited by Moderator) I get that systemic racism is a real thing and decisions that may seem harmless to the cultural majority can be hurtful to people in minority groups. On the other hand, there is a genuine outrage industry in our culture right now that thrives on making people angry and inflaming the divisiveness that's tearing our country apart. That Daily Beast article, for example, was not written because the author was actually offended on behalf of people of color. It was written because "hot takes" generate clicks that drive revenue for the publication's corporate owners, advertisers, and stockholders, many of whom probably also invest in other publications saying exactly the opposite to a different audience.

I'm of the feeling that context is always important. I have no problem with putting a disclaimer in front of Gone with the Wind. I agree that the film's stereotypes and attitudes are problematic from a modern viewpoint. However, I don't think the makers of the film understood that at the time, or had malicious intentions in making the movie. In fact, they probably saw themselves as progressive for casting black actors in prominent speaking roles. But times have changed, and the movie hasn't changed with them. That's something we can learn from.

I also feel that teaching people how to behave better in the future is more important (and more effective) than punishing them for things they did in the past. Apparently, that puts me in the smallest minority group in the world right now.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I also feel that teaching people how to behave better in the future is more important (and more effective) than punishing them for things they did in the past. Apparently, that puts me in the smallest minority group in the world right now.
Well said.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don’t know if this is verboten, but will the Frasier episode There’s Something About Dr. Mary get pulled from syndication or streaming? Which streaming service has Frasier- Peacock, or NBC/Universal?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t know if this is verboten, but will the Frasier episode There’s Something About Dr. Mary get pulled from syndication or streaming? Which streaming service has Frasier- Peacock, or NBC/Universal?
Do you know what season it is?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've ignored this thread for quite some time. Golly gosh, what fun we're having. All of it proving we're all stereotypes of ourselves, which is fine as long as we keep some sense of humor. Maybe caricatures more than stereotypes .. i spend most days pretending to be myself to everyone around me, while knowing deep down I'm someone else. A living caricature.
All of this to say to everyone thanks for being so diverting while flirting with such a potentially dangerous subject. I just read of an Oxford academic who posted a message that 'white lives don't matter'. She didn't get fired; she got promoted to Professor. You really do have to laugh.
Anyway, it seems the main point of this thread is to prove once again that Will Krupp has the most consistently balanced, positive and reasonable response to the insanity surrounding us. And Robert C seems to be keeping things pretty well in check too. Now I may go lie down and see if things look better from that position.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Anyway, it seems the main point of this thread is to prove once again that Will Krupp has the most consistently balanced, positive and reasonable response to the insanity surrounding us. And Robert C seems to be keeping things pretty well in check too. Now I may go lie down and see if things look better from that position.

Well THAT was unexpected, Anthony, and very sweet of you to say. Thank you!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
It’s being compared to GWTW and Birth of a Nation. Cancel culture has found a new target.

Kindergarten Cop

No, really.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sorry, I just got back--
Can I bump the delicious irony of Streaming censorship sending disgruntled-viewer protest-sales of Blu-ray disks through the roof, in case anyone else missed it at the beginning of the thread? :lol:
(It's okay to bump topics in the same drifted thread, isn't it?)

It’s being compared to GWTW and Birth of a Nation. Cancel culture has found a new target.
Kindergarten Cop
No, really.

Because of police depictions. No, really.

(Okay, I'm saying this right now: If the Lloydists are coming for 80's-cop comedies, nobody...NOBODY...lays a finger on Running Scared.)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My link got removed because... hey why include a news source. So now it looks like I just randomly posted something without explanation. So just search the film title in google and there will be news articles about Kindergarten Cop now being cancelled from a planned drive-in showing and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks