What's new

Gone With the Wind physical copies are now sold out everywhere... (Thanks to HBO Max) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think they're sold out, they'd be tons of copies still selling on Marketplace. All the Amazon sites say, Currently unavailable. We're living through some bonkers times.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Not sure why anyone cares or would react to anything done by HBO Max? Warner owns the film. If they were to announce the film was going on indefinite moratorium, then I might be concerned. Warner must be loving the boost in sales due to all the free publicity.

People are bizarre.

In addition to my blu-ray, I still have a copy of the 4-disc DVD Collector's Edition. I wonder how much that's worth today?

View attachment 73951

Selling prices on eBay varied from $2.99 to $306 for the past three months. Some crazy people on eBay!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
In all honesty, I'm with Kubrick on the film itself and think it is a lousy picture and have no need to see it again

Then Kubrick should have been forced to watch it at least 50 times in his own Ludovico chair.

F26CF4C9-1FD4-46EB-A361-BE3AB2CB7893.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When a group of us saw Gone With The Wind last year in the theater an African American member of our group liked the film and understands it was made in 1939 and not today. I think it's a great film and should be left alone.
Nothing is going to happen to Gone With the Wind.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I can rent it right now on iTunes for $3.99 or buy it for $14.99.

The only thing that’s happened here is that the 21st century equivalent of a TV channel has decided not to show it for a brief period.
Yup. This is all seriously overblown. If Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will are still being sold (though fascism does seem to be making a bit of a comeback), there's no need to worry about Gone with the Wind.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Let’s not pretend the North were saints either. Ulysses S Grant was an anti-Semite. Like David O. Selznick, I am Jewish, so it does bother me that he is put on a pedestal because Grant and I share a birthday. Now you understand one of the reasons why All in the Family was and is such a big deal: it made it impossible to blame the South exclusively for racism.

It just occurred to me that the international version of this film has an intro not in the American version that explains the Civil War to people from other countries where they don’t go into the film knowing as much about it as an educated American is expected to. Why did HBO Max not include it or any of the myriad of DVD or Blu-ray extras created over the years along with it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can rent it right now on iTunes for $3.99 or buy it for $14.99.

The only thing that’s happened here is that the 21st century equivalent of a TV channel has decided not to show it for a brief period.
It's purchase price on iTunes has been as low as $4.99 three different times in the past year. Several times it's been $7.99 & 9.99 over that same time period. Furthermore, it's been packaged with Casablanca, TWOO, Citizen Kane and Singin' in the Rain for as low as $19.99 twice over the last six months.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to step in here as it's obvious some posters want to make this a bigger discussion then it needs to be here. It's fruitless to judge and discussed every single movie on whether it's racist or not. Furthermore, let's not conflate the current events of today with issues of yesteryear as it will eventually lead to political discussion. There is little doubt that many people that made movies in those past eras were racists. Hell, many people from past eras were bigots in general. There is not much to debate there as it was a different time and place, especially in regard to bigotry of different kinds. History books have documented those times. Movies are a reflection to some of those times. With that said, we're not going down that rabbit hole! People need to relax and stop trying to make this a larger issue than it really is and stop making political commentary. Any further political posts will be deleted. Gone with the Wind will be back on HBO Max and perhaps some historical context can be discussed when it's added back to their lineup.

Edit: I just read an article that apparently "Gone with the Wind" will return to HBO Max as early as next week with someone providing an introduction to the movie.

DImitri001

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Yes watch it soon before the thought police make you read a disclaimer and sign an affidavit when you pop it in your player.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
In the 20 years I’ve been collecting physical movie media, there hasn’t been a year this film hasn’t been in my collection (original snapper flipper DVD, 4-disc DVD, 3-disc Blu). Not to mention that it’s been kept in print on home video since 1985. I think there’s some overreacting going on.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
In the 20 years I’ve been collecting physical movie media, there hasn’t been a year this film hasn’t been in my collection (original snapper flipper DVD, 4-disc DVD, 3-disc Blu). Not to mention that it’s been kept in print on home video since 1985. I think there’s some overreacting going on.
Still have my 5 disc laserdisc box set.
IMG_0633.jpg

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've had access to a copy virtually all my life. My mother was the one who loved the movie, so I almost always had access to either a recorded from cable copy or one of the old 2 VHS sets. By the time DVD came, I had the snapcase flipper version, then the bigass box from 2004, and that was good until I upgraded to Blu in 2016.

Looks like I missed the laser disc, though. That also makes me wonder, was there a pre-Turner release of the film on home video?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The 1985 MGM/UA laserdisc two disc release with the 1967 cover art was the first release, concurrent with a VHS release, four years before Ted Turner did a major 50th anniversary restoration. The later CAV boxset laserdisc release is notable for having the complete Max Steiner music score on an alternate channel.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
It does seem to be panic buying indeed. WB has always saturated the market with every reissue and the endless repackaging.

As for me I have the big swag and all second BD boxset and both flavors of the LD release: CLV and CAV. One day I’d love to see the rare 1998 final LD which apparently has the theatrical 5.1 reissue mix and is a tad different to its snapper case dvd counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks