JoshZ

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
In the U.K. the Sky Cinema subscription service has a description saying “This film has outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today”. The same description is given to FLASH GORDON (1980) which has got me puzzled!
I'm assuming they're referring to Ming the Merciless being an Asian caricature.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe people should simply recognize there's always a historical context that includes whatever biases, etc (however simple or complex) to art creations, especially filmmaking (thus far).

No art is created in a vacuum of total neutrality afterall...

_Man_

Reactions: LeoA

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They are all forgetting, or ignoring, one critical thing: context. *Anything* viewed without proper context is just about guaranteed to offend someone. As my 16yo grandson said the other day "Stereotypes exist for a reason so why do people get so upset when they're used?" My one word answer was "Ignorance."

Reactions: LeoA

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
As my 16yo grandson said the other day "Stereotypes exist for a reason so why do people get so upset when they're used?" My one word answer was "Ignorance."
He asked you why people get upset with stereotypes and you responded "ignorance?" Ignorance on the part of people who get upset or ignorance on the part of those who use the stereotype?

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
This will interest maybe one or two people only ... people with long memories of journalism in days gone by.
Bob-o-link mentioned that journalists used -30- to signify end of copy.
I've never seen that. Must be a USA thing. Down here in Australia (and in the UK too in my days there) we simply used the hash-tag # writ large. Love how customs shift from country to country. Soon all that will be totally forgotten.

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
This will interest maybe one or two people only ... people with long memories of journalism in days gone by.
Bob-o-link mentioned that journalists used -30- to signify end of copy.
They even made a movie about it.
-30- is the title of the last episode of The Wire. Owing to that season focusing on the city's newspaper and the show's creator's previous career as a journalist.

KMR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
He asked you why people get upset with stereotypes and you responded "ignorance?" Ignorance on the part of people who get upset or ignorance on the part of those who use the stereotype?
Depending on the particular situation, it could be either or both.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Depending on the particular situation, it could be either or both.
I asked Bob to clarify his statement because I was curious as to exactly what he meant by relating that conversation with his grandson.

Since you answered FOR him, I'll ask you a question as well. In your opinion, in what particular situation would someone offended by a stereotype be considered ignorant?

David Weicker

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I asked Bob to clarify his statement because I was curious as to exactly what he meant by relating that conversation with his grandson.

Since you answered FOR him, I'll ask you a question as well. In your opinion, in what particular situation would someone offended by a stereotype be considered ignorant?
I'm not sure how others would answer this, but I would say when someone thinks something is a stereotype that actually isn't a stereotype.

For example,
adding soot to your face to look like other soot-covered chimney sweeps isn't a stereo-typical blackface

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm not sure how others would answer this, but I would say when someone thinks something is a stereotype that actually isn't a stereotype.
I can agree with that. My question is more as to when something actually IS a stereotype, (since that SEEMS to be the issue at hand) but a very good answer nonetheless!!

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
So the film is still not available for the most part on media. My first thought is that Warner Bros must be adding material such has been added to HBOMAX to the media discs before replenishing the stock. That will probably will eventually happen, but I would think there are discs in storage made prior to this that would have to be destroyed if releasing them without a warning is now not possible. They could put a warning sticker on the cover but they could have done this already. Maybe they are going to destroy unsold discs without the added material. I don't think they would flood Big Lots and Dollar General with the old discs.

Will Krupp

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That will probably will eventually happen, but I would think there are discs in storage made prior to this that would have to be destroyed if releasing them without a warning is now not possible.
I'm not sure about that. There's a difference between something on a streaming platform that comes directly into your home and having to physically go out and "buy" a copy of something. There MAY be a warning added to future pressings but I seriously doubt it's that they "unable" to sell the physical media as is. It's only been a few weeks anyway.

roxy1927

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
vincent parisi
Why is that warning only for racial/ethnic stereotypes?
I consider as well the stereotypes far worse in films like Gone With the Wind and of course Birth of a Nation. Neither film has been 'cancelled.'

Song of the South has now been completely banned by Bob Iger including all its merchandising. The man who George Lucas called a 'white slaver.' Criminal in and of itself. You have lost for good Matt. You may now give it up.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid