What's new

Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special 4-Disc Edition (1 Viewer)

George See

Second Unit
Does anyone know anything about this "ultra restoration" process. Has it been used before or is this something new?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
"Ultra Resolution" restoration was done on Singin' in the Rain for example. Awe-inspiring.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Ultra-Resolution, of course, has nothing to do with resolution.

It's just a way to describe scanning in the b&w matricies separately, doing corrective work, and then compositing them together in the computer, before transferring to disk.

Usually, a film's print is transferred digitally.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
If it looks like "Singin' In The Rain", I'll pass. However, if it compares favorably with "Meet Me In St. Louis" - another Ultra-resolution release, I'll buy. The first is garish and over the top while the latter is subtle and rich in its color palette.

DeeF

Screenwriter
How so, Patrick? It seems to me (from working in Photoshop), that if you scan the 3 matricies, but then composite them together, you're still only getting 2K, or whatever you scanned them at.

I suppose there's a chance that fixing their alignment in the digital domain will give you better edges, etc., and this could be called "resolution," although I still think the term is a little misleading.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Peter,

I sortof agree with you about the colors of those two movies, but you could be reacting to the differences in their original art direction/cinematography, rather than something that happened at the digital stage.

I think both are quite amazingly beautiful.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, you're starting with 3 x 2K. That's combined into one 2K file.

I do think the name is silly... it would be neat to call it something like "D-Tech" or "Digital Technicolor"

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
DeeF

I like the look of Singin'. It fits the film. I just don't think it would fit GWTW, hence my preference for Meet Me In St. Louis as the way I believe it should look.

Peter

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I did not mean with my Singin' in the Rain comment how Gone with the Wind will look. I have no way of knowing. I was just replying to a question regarding Ultra Resolution, and whether it's been used before. It has; on Singin' in the Rain for the first time.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
PaulP,

I think Ultra Resolution was used before on Citizen Kane and Casablanca among other films. I'm sure someone will chime in with a list.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Warner has previously released three films using their Ultra-Resolution process:

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

GONE WITH THE WIND will be the fourth.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The "Ultra-resolution" process is a moniker used by Warner in reference to software which digitally shapes shrunken or other ill-fitting Technicolor negatives, masters or Eastman derived separation masters by slightly molding the image to force the three images to fit together.

It is used without a tradename by several other entities, and was used by Kodak's CineSite to fit alien records of Patriot together.

There would be nothing to fit together in black and white.

TonyDale

Second Unit
DeeF, i do stand corrected regarding the musicalization of GONE WITH THE WIND; I whipped out my handy, dandy NOT SINCE CARRIE, to read up on it. :)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Mr. Harris, do you know if that Ultra-Resolution process restauration was used for the 3 DVD SE released in R2 (France) in november 2003?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Last year's R2 GWTW 3 disc set in France was the same old transfer that had been issued there before. There was a GWTW stage piece in France last year at the same time the DVD came out. I think WB France was trying to milk the connection.

It was most definitely not the new WB Ultra-Resolution transfer that we know is in the works even though (despite this very long thread) it hasn't even formally been announced by the studio yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks