What's new

Gone with the Wind: 65th Anniversary Special 4-Disc Edition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
DeeF is quite correct.

The current DVD has nothing to do with the 1998 "restoration."

And, yes,

I abhor the 1998 "restoration."

Word leaking about the grapevine is as follows, and may be inaccurate in some regards:

1. At least one disc will feature the film with its original 1939 heavy, de-saturated look, based upon a complete 1939 print which the studio is apparently telling the press that it possesses.

2. If this print exists (only a certain number of reels were previously known, plus a print in an archive in China) then the cropped shots should be able to be restored digitally.

If the studio is actually going the 1939 route, I would expect that they would, in addition, be forced to also include a second version based upon more publicly accepted color.

This would be superb, and would make a great release, as there have been at least three major variantions of color design as released thus far.

As I've mentioned in the past, although many people have requested the original 1939 color, densities, etc. which are quite beautiful and would be historically accurate and interesting, the general public circa 2004 would not be terribly complimentary toward such a DVD, finding it faded looking, dense and not terribly pleasing to the eye.

None of the above informatiion comes from studio sources, and with the exception of comments in regard to 1939 color design and its perception by modern audiences, may be totally inaccurate.

RAH

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well this would be very nice indeed. The fact that it's rumored to be 4 discs supports this and I hope this does happen. So probably two discs will be taken up by two different color versions of the film, the third will contain the feature-length documentary, and the fourth will house the miscellaneous extras. Can't wait!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I hope it's true, and Warner has both 'versions' in the set. It really wouldn't be shocking, they're doing that with "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" with the two shots of the film. I can't wait for a press release for GWTW and see what we've got in store!

Andy

DeeF

Screenwriter
As great as it would be, I guess I think it would be enough to include comparison shots of two versions. (They weren't shot differently, like Seven Brides, but simply color-timed differently).

In other words, keep the main version, the modern one with modern color, but on a second disk, have some scenes shown with the original color, and maybe a comparison, like Fox does on some of its disks.

But whatever! It will be a pleasure to own this new, definitive DVD.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought this title would fit on a one sided disc.
And, the original DVD release, does have it's merits.
Good!
The SE have something too shoot for!!!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
This was the first DVD I bought. Bring on the SE! I hope the film is split over 2 discs instead of a DVD-18, for people who have DVD changers.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Yeah, but if it is on a DVD-18 that means there could be three discs of extras... :D

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I'll buy the 4disc in a heartbeat. I still have the old MGM flipper. Am I to understand that the MGM 98 version is the restoration that RAH hates?

Ill never forget seeing GWTW in an old 30s style movie theater here in Sacramento. They had the red curtains, intermission music and overture; just like back in the day. It was so KEWL! :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

No, I was wrong about that as DeeF and Mr. Harris have already pointed out. The current DVD is based on the late 80's restoration done for it's 50th anniversary release with the 5.1 soundtrack from the 98 release added on (I assume).

I know that Mr. Harris didn't like the 98 prints, and I know GWTW is on his list of things he'd love to restore, so I can only assume that the 50th Anniversary prints aren't up to snuff either.

Rod

Agent
Could someone please explain the difference between the OAR version and the so-called "widescreen" release of 1967? How was the widescreen version created and how does it look? Thanks.

-Rod

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Question: "Could someone please explain the difference between the OAR version and the so-called "widescreen" release of 1967? How was the widescreen version created and how does it look? Thanks."

The 1967 version was a 70mm blown-up and obviously cropped edition with simulated "6 track stereo". The prints were made by Metrocolor and probably looked horrible.

One interesting point was that new main titles were created for this version, I guess because the new aspect ratio cut off some of the pertinent information. Ah, the '60's.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 50th anniversary elements produced by YCM labs were beautifully made, and all elements properly derived from their work also look fine.

For the record YCM is a class act. Had they produced a new element that wasn't of proper quality, I doubt very much that they would have even screened it for the customer.

The 1967 70mm prints produced at Metrocolor were also quite lovely. It was the cropping, not the color that was problematic.

RAH

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The 50th anniversary elements produced by YCM labs were beautifully made, and all elements properly derived from their work also look fine. For the record YCM is a class act. Had they produced a new element that wasn't of proper quality, I doubt very much that they would have even screened it for the customer."

YCM was responsible for the restoration of the Disney classics in the late 80's / early 90's. Snow White, Fantasia and Pinocchio were all restored by YCM. I still watch the old "Fantasia: the Making of a Masterpiece" documentary in awe, looking on as YCM restoration gurus dig splinters out of the original Fantasia negative with a razor blade.

TonyDale

Second Unit
Pete,
The musical, entitled, SCARLET, played on Broadway with Lesley Ann Warren and Pernell Roberts in the leads. It was not a hit. Even in London, it was not a hit. Nor in Tokyo, but, that Japanese cast recording is the only one which has been released to cd, Interesting Harold Rome score.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There seem to be a few alternate main titles for GWTW, some of which were on a laserdisc box set. There is a main title with alternate prologue for foreign prints.
There was also the Main Title with yet another alternate prologue shown on the first network broadcast.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Harold Rome's '70s musical version of Gone With the Wind, staged in London (it was a hit) and on the West Coast but never on Broadway, was first performed in Japanese under the title Scarlett.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks