Gone Through Hell for a Harman Kardon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BurtS, May 2, 2004.

1. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Well heres my story, ive bought a refurbished Harman Kardon receiver off ebay for like 380 and payed 100 to ship it to me. After getting the receiver the very first day it would not work properly, Defective! So I contacted the guy I bought it from and they told me that the guys they get it from are harman kardon retailers. So I got a receipt faxed to me from Stereo Advantage so I could send it out to a authorized dealer.
    Thing is I live in Hawaii and there is no repair centers here, so I got a recommendation from Harman Kardon themselves to send it to a place in California. So I immediatly send it out on feb 17 paying $40.00 to ship it and after a long wait they finally got the parts and fixed it. So I said ok sounds good, 2 weeks go by and I call them back and he says "Oh I didnt send it out yet its here ready to ship but I cant find a shipper to send it out, they want $100.00. Give me time ill ship it out this week". Couple weeks go by I call them and they say "Oh its still here ill get it out tomorrow". They finally got it to me after having Harman Kardon pay the 100.00 to ship it to me and now after a week it dont work.
    Harman Kardon has really turned my head around, I can say im never buying another Harman Kardon item again. When I turn on the receiver it turn right back off. What should I do pay more money or just call it QuiTs [​IMG]

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

You know I'm going to have to be that guy.
    Did you think about buying a new one from a reputable online dealer or possibly from Harman Kardon direct (they sell refurb's)?

3. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I agree somewhat with what Adil says, but I've bought used off the internet before so I can't be hypocritical.

That is the part that is bogus. I can't believe their attitude about shipping it back to you, and then not even fixing it. [​IMG] I would call HK and tell them how you were treated by a repair shop they recommended. I hear their CS sucks, but you never know.

4. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

They fixed it just not good enough, this came from a certified harman kardon dealer

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Burt,

If you call it quits, would the original seller take the receiver back? Clearly, there are some issues with the receiver and who knows what else would pop up down the road. Plus, having to pay $40 - $100 shipping for each issue and waiting 2+ months for the repair is quite frustrating and would be a horrible experience for each issue.

If you do get off the H/K band wagon, it might be wise to research the company of the next potential receiver you are going to purchase. Check to see if they have an authorized repair center in Hawaii which would make things much easier for you. Also, keep in mind, that failures of such products can be quite rare - but, it looks like the failure bug bit you and bit you bad. [​IMG]

6. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

That's too bad. I have some Harman Kardon equipment and I think it's great. Of course, I bought mine new and from an authorized dealer.

7. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

You definitely need to keep in mind that, in consumer electronics, "refurbished" generally means "sent back for a refund because of a problem." This is very different from open-box or even previously used items.

Consequently, when you buy refurbished gear, you are basically assuming that A) There was something wrong with it and B) The repair center found and fixed the problem. Now just imagine how times people bring their cars into a mechanic to have the same problem worked on two or three times, or even to hear, "Well, it worked fine for us..."

8. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

As to the question at hand, unless you can get the guy to give you back at least what you paid for it, then by all means continue to have it fixed and work out all the conditions with Harman Kardon. Try to work a deal with them where you can perhaps pay more for a brand new receiver and they can take the one you have in exchange. I think you're better off getting a new one, especially since you are in Hawaii. Shipping costs can be quite expensive (as you know) and it's better to get a new piece of equipment and not really deal with ebay for any product. I'm not saying ebay is bad, but your distance kind of mandates you get new products unless those used items are from local places.

9. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Burt,

I know you have had problems with the AVR, but you need to make sure that it is truly a problem with the unit before sending it back in.

Unhook all speaker and signal wires from the AVR and see if it still turns itself off. If it doesn't turn off when turned on as a bare unit, hook up items one by one to see which item is causing the short. It sounds as if you may have a short in a speaker or wire.

Just trying to help,

Dennis

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Well I'm going to be "that guy" too, I guess. I just don't understand why you're blaming Harman/Kardon and not the guy you bought it from that sold you a defective unit, or the service shop that acted irresponsibly?

It's a really lousy situation you're in, but neither of these problems are really H/K's fault.

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I agree, but we can only hope that HK will stand behind the product and assist BurtS with his situation.

12. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Let's see, Burt buys a refurbished H/K from an authorized H/K dealer (if that is true) and some people assume its his fault for trusting H/K to stand behind their refurbished goods? Hmmm. Maybe I've gotten spoiled with the CS of Outlaw, SVS, the king of all CS, AV123 but to me, this should be H/K's problem, not Burt's.

13. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

He says he got from a guy who got it from an authorized dealer. That's hardly concrete evidence. I would definitely contact HK, explain your situation and see what they can do for you. Make sure you let them know that if they dont' make this right they are losing a customer for life.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I read this the same way Allen. The ebay guy got a dummied receipt so that Burt could get it serviced. While I'd contact HK and explain the situation, to me this is more like you didn't do your homework Burt. You didn't verify if the ebay purchase was from an authorized dealer. You didn't ask the question of how you would handle potential service or if you did it likely didn't receive high enough priority. You take what's a dummied receipt knowing full well that you're not morally (perhaps Hawaii has specific rules regarding warranties?) and probably legally entitled to H/K service, send it off to H/K, things don't work out, and you're blaming H/K. If H/K makes good then that's great. If they don't or it's not to your satisfaction, then the blame likely lies in the mirror.

15. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

What I don't like is that BurtS can ship it to the mainland for $40, but both the dealer and H/K are stiffing him for $100 every time! I've bought refurbished stuff with no probs before, but any online purchase carries the risk of getting dinged with shipping fees in event of a problem. You pays your money, you takes your choice.....

16. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Check your PM's

Kyle

17. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Just out of curiosity, what is the problem? Is it serious or can you live with it (like a 5db hiss)?

18. Jason Bosch

Jason Bosch Agent

Sorry to hear about your luck Burt. I too had the exact same problem with a refurbed Harman Kardon. I bought a AVR-325Z from One Call.com. After I got it hooked up it worked fine for exactly 30 minutes and then shut itself off. After that it wouldn't stay on more than a 1 second flash. I took it to a service center where it stayed despite my weekly call for 35 days. After which they told me nothing was ever wrong with the receiver. So I pick it up ( Stupidly i didn't plug it in at the repair drop off place.) I get it home to find out it is not fixed. So back it goes to the repair center for another 16 days. After which they tell me they have no idea and cannot fix it. I call Harman Kardon and after 3 phone calls. First from me to them, 2nd from them to the repair tech, and 3rd them to me, I get satisfaction and get a brand new 325 direct from Harman. I use that for 3 months then it starts having it's own new little bug. If I pause a movie in DTS for more than 5 seconds, the sound will not come back on. I had to shut the unit off and restart it for the sound to kick back on. At this point I've had it with the receiver and sell it for a loss. Needless to say I will never buy another Harman product. They do sound good, but the price of that seems to be poor build quality, quality control, and from the sounds of your story... poor customer service. No Offense intended to any happy Harman owners. This was just my experience with them and my opinion. I understand there are bad batches of every product and sooner or later everyone has to get one. It's just that it seems to happen more with them than most other manufacturers. I hope one day they start to understand how poor they are in these areas and improve. Maybe then they would be a brand worth owing again. Like they were in the Citation days...

19. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

I contacted Harman Kardon through email and told them the situation, but I didnt mention the 2nd party. I mean hell I pretty much had to deal directly with stereo advantage at the time. Stereo advantage wouldnt agree to take it back they insisted on it being repaired at the closest repair shop to me. Now I guess harman wants me to send it back to get repaired yet again, but they will pay to send it back.

20. BurtS

BurtS Stunt Coordinator

Well I had them pay to send it back and just got it back yesterday, today same thing turns on and turns off. This is such absolute BS im just going to take this as a $500.00 loss and buy another receiver locally. Im so disgusted its no even funny.[​IMG]
    Oh and I was so happy yesterday that it was workin I went and bought a 12 inch home theatre sub.[​IMG]