What's new

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series - march release (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony, it was a horrible week for me here with the passing of my aunt recently and everything that went along with that was just excruciating and just happy the week is finally coming to an end, but again, have a great time in jolly ole England with the family. All my best! RW
I'm really sorry about your loss, Richard. It's never fun to lose loved ones. Time can be a great healer, but I've found that it tends to be a slow, ongoing process. Anyway, take care!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Tony, it was a horrible week for me here with the passing of my aunt recently and everything that went along with that was just excruciating and just happy the week is finally coming to an end, but again, have a great time in jolly ole England with the family. All my best! RW

Please let me offer my sympathies, as well, Richard. You take care and try not to let this difficult time prevent you from getting enough rest, as can so often happen.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I wish you Peace and Healing Richard...I know all too well the depths of darkness that the death of Loved ones can take you down to...God Bless you and your Family...

I think a few Sweet episodes of Gomer Pyle or Andy Griffith are in order...

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, while my wife and I were wondering the other day if Jim Nabors is still with us, (he certainly is) going on Wikipedia to look up Mr Nabors caused us to see a parallel between his real life, and the fictional life of Forrest Gump. As everyone who has seen Forrest Gump knows, there's a scene where Forrest inadvertently runs on to the practice field at the University of Alabama, and his great speed his witnessed by famed coach Bear Bryant, who recruits Forrest for the schools football team on an athletic scholarship. Well, until seeing the Wikipedia coverage of Jim Nabors , I never had any idea that the University of Alabama was his Alma Mater. I really get such a kick out of the many parallels that all of us continually run into. (that really was an unintentional pun, guys, but you'll just have to believe me on that one)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
GOMER PYLE, USMC - Episode List And Running Times

For the time being, I'm focusing on the episode running times, as I've not been able to locate these ANYWHERE online; only that each full episode is supposedly 25:30 in length!

However, even on the first disc from Season 1, it is clear that not every episode adheres to the 25:30 full length episode time frame. Yet, the first season is considered to be the one in which all content is present and accounted for!

Below is my episode list for Season 2, which is Gomer's first Color Season - SURPRISE! SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!!!

Season 2

Disc 1 -

031 (25:31*) - P.F.C. Gomer Pyle (Jack Larsen makes a guest appearance!)

032 (25:37) - Third Finger, Left Loaf

033 (25:32) - The Blind Date

034 (25:09) - Home On The Range

035 (23:16**) - Gomer Untrains A Dog

036 (25:33) - Supply Sergeants Never Die

* Not including the closing DVD Paramount Bumper, which first appears in the Season 2 episodes, taking approximately an extra 3 seconds

** This would appear to be the first of the obviously edited episodes! Based on the running length of even the shortest Season 1 DVD presentations being 24:38, I think it's safe to say that anything below that length is definitely missing some original content. Feedback in regards to what is specifically missing in these shortened episodes would be most welcome!

The tag ending is what's missing from the "Gomer Untrains A Dog" episode. Going by the previous episode content, I suspect this might have consisted of Gomer playing with "Lemony Gilbert" (Or something like that!) at the German Shepherd's new owners backyard? In any event, my main question is was there some sort of musical content within the tag ending scene, or was it just one of those that fell victim to latter day syndication print editing? Some feedback from those who are more familiar with the complete version of this episode would be most welcome!

I'm beginning to see just what Alan means by it's not how much content is missing, but rather, what is missing! This is one aspect of my GOMER PYLE, USMC viewing that I don't look forward to encountering, especially as I believe that Jim Nabors sings a lot more frequently as the Color seasons progress!

CHEERS! :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm beginning to see just what Alan means by it's not how much content is missing, but rather, what is missing! This is one aspect of my GOMER PYLE, USMC viewing that I don't look forward to encountering, especially as I believe that Jim Nabors sings a lot more frequently as the Color seasons progress!
There are some nice surprises. Some color songs remain like "Blowing in the Wind" and "Impossible Dream." It's not all bad.

Thanks for your posts!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There are some nice surprises. Some color songs remain like "Blowing in the Wind" and "Impossible Dream." It's not all bad.

Thanks for your posts!
To utter a phrase common in these shows, I'm only too happy to oblige! :)

Thank goodness CBS/Paramount didn't cut ALL of the songs, or otherwise make this set a near total travesty along the lines of MY THREE SONS (Or rather, what was released of it!), for which even sound effects were replaced, for pity sake! As it stands, my having not viewed this series in so many decades, I can simply con myself into believing that the shorter episodes are some syndicated variant, which judging by the "Gomer Untrains A Dog" episode with its missing tag ending, a few of them might be, anyway. With ridiculous sound effect replacements, even that would have been a lot harder, if not impossible for this viewer to stomach!

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've pretty much accepted the shortcomings of this set, with one exception. In my opinion, the entire emotional punch of LITTLE GIRL BLUE came from Gomer singing "Put on a Happy Face." With that song gone, it is impossible for me to watch the DVD version of that episode and enjoy it. It's too painful.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
This is interesting...apparently, on those occasions when Hogan's Heroes filmed on the old RKO lot on Gower Street, the POW's could have easily escaped Stalag 13 and gone to Camp Henderson of Gomer Pyle USMC...better yet, they could have escaped to the blissful Mayberry of The Andy Griffith Show...
17498806_10213032822082156_3753857141897857660_n.jpg
Mayberry itself transported to another Solar System...ha, ha...
17553686_10213032839522592_7609695497925426001_n.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm pretty sure that some of the Mayberry sets doubled as the town located near Camp Henderson during GOMER PYLE, USMC's first season!

Also, regarding the STAR TREK Mayberry set shot, wasn't that the episode in which they ended up in 1930's San Francisco, or something along that line?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Tony, I believe that Star Trek still is taken from the season 1 episode "Miri" , Guest Starring Kim Darby and Michael J. Pollard...where the Enterprise crew discover the plague world where only children and young adults survive...the plague only killing those over 30, if I remember the details...I'm sure you remember it...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Yep.

The shots you're thinking of, Tony, came from "City on the Edge of Forever" where you see Floyd's Barber Shop as Kirk and Edith walk by as well as other Mayberry building exteriors.

Star Trek-Floyd.jpg
Star Trek-Mayberry.jpg

They also used the Mayberry sets in "The Return of the Archons" and "A Piece of the Action."

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm currently up to the episodes in which Sgt. Carter's platoon are aboard ship. In these, I've discovered the first character in the series that I've taken a massive disliking to in Tige Andrews' Chief Petty Officer! Petty is an apt descriptor for this character, along with a certain expletive that repeatedly sprung to my mind ("What An A*****e!!") in the "Gomer Captures A Submarine" (Season 2, Disc 2) episode!

Tige Andrews As The Chief Petty Officer In "Gomer Captures A Submarine" (Season 2, Disc 2):
vlcsnap-2017-04-03-22h21m41s169.png

By the way, the above episode clocked in at 24:07. While a bit short, the tag ending scene was included, and I didn't otherwise notice any obvious cuts. Perhaps more discerning eyes and/or ears might pick up some visual/audio edit that I missed?

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know I may have asked this already. But is there any Hope whatsover of the Seasons being re released with the missing content restored? I know Mr. Ed was originally released with Some cuts in Episodes from season One. This was later corrected when the complete series release came out. Who actually owns the rights? Jim Nabors? Paramount? Andy Griffith? Is the matter of some of the Deceased actors' estates okaying things?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know I may have asked this already. But is there any Hope whatsover of the Seasons being re released with the missing content restored? I know Mr. Ed was originally released with Some cuts in Episodes from season One. This was later corrected when the complete series release came out. Who actually owns the rights? Jim Nabors? Paramount? Andy Griffith? Is the matter of some of the Deceased actors' estates okaying things?
Hi John!

Far as I know, Paramount owns the series outright. If their recent past history (The series was reissued awhile back, with edits intact!) is any indicator, I'm not optimistic that any missing content will be restored, though we can always hope!

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I actually looked into this about two years ago. It isn't hope that's needed; it's the will to make the project happen. Only about 20% of the material omitted was cut for possibly legit legal reasons (and they could have been overcome at that time). The other stuff was snipped out of sheer paranoia and expedience. So the question is, can the willpower be created over there for this to happen? In my opinion, the answer is no. There's likely no profit in it and even less prestige attached to making it right.

Things can always change. Let's hope they do for Gomer Pyle.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi John!

Far as I know, Paramount owns the series outright. If their recent past history (The series was reissued awhile back, with edits intact!) is any indicator, I'm not optimistic that any missing content will be restored, though we can always hope!

Thank you Tony. Yes I am an eternal optimist so I am hoping to see this before I am eligible to retire LOL

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
GOMER PYLE, USMC - Episode List And Running Times

For the time being, I'm focusing on the episode running times, as I've not been able to locate these ANYWHERE online; only that each full episode is supposedly 25:30 in length!

However, even on the first disc from Season 1, it is clear that not every episode adheres to the 25:30 full length episode time frame. Yet, the first season is considered to be the one in which all content is present and accounted for!

Below is my episode list for Season 2, which is Gomer's first Color Season - SURPRISE! SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!!!

Season 2

Disc 1 -

031 (25:31*) - P.F.C. Gomer Pyle (Jack Larsen makes a guest appearance!)

032 (25:37) - Third Finger, Left Loaf

033 (25:32) - The Blind Date

034 (25:09) - Home On The Range

035 (23:16**) - Gomer Untrains A Dog

036 (25:33) - Supply Sergeants Never Die

* Not including the closing DVD Paramount Bumper, which first appears in the Season 2 episodes, taking approximately an extra 3 seconds

** This would appear to be the first of the obviously edited episodes! Based on the running length of even the shortest Season 1 DVD presentations being 24:38, I think it's safe to say that anything below that length is definitely missing some original content. Feedback in regards to what is specifically missing in these shortened episodes would be most welcome!

The tag ending is what's missing from the "Gomer Untrains A Dog" episode. Going by the previous episode content, I suspect this might have consisted of Gomer playing with "Lemony Gilbert" (Or something like that!) at the German Shepherd's new owners backyard? In any event, my main question is was there some sort of musical content within the tag ending scene, or was it just one of those that fell victim to latter day syndication print editing? Some feedback from those who are more familiar with the complete version of this episode would be most welcome!

UPDATE: Here is what's reported to be missing from the above episode, courtesy of John Wells!:

"In "Gomer Untrains a Dog" The part missing is at the end. Gomer Comes into the Duty Hut with The Dog and Carter Says to Gomer, "You know better than to bring a Dog into my quarters!!!! Get him outta here!!!! Gomer replies "Umm Sergeant??" Carter says "Well Get Him out!!!! The Dog becomes upset with Carter yelling at Gomer and Barks while jumping at Carter. Gomer explains that Carter must speak Gently to calm the animal at which point They begin singing and the dog becomes affectionate followed by the closing credits".

I haven't noticed any more obvious edits on the following two Season 2 DVDs (Although Disc 4 has one known music deletion/replacement!), although the "Gomer Captures A Submarine" episode clocks in at just barely over 24 minutes. Starting at Disc 3, I'm also including the approximate 3 second mid '00s Paramount closing bumper in the running time.

Disc 2 -

037 (25:36) - Cat Overboard

038 (24:04) - Gomer Captures A Submarine

039 (25:34) - The Grudge Fight

040 (25:40) - Gomer The Star Witness

041 (25:44) - A Visit From Cousin Goober

042 (25:34) - A Groom For Sergeant Carter's Sister

Disc 3 -

043 (25:38) - Gomer Minds His Sergeant's Car

044 (25:29) - Gomer, The Peacemaker

045 (25:36) - Gomer Pyle, P.O.W.

046 (24:48) - Gomer Pyle, Civilian

047 (25:37) - Gomer And The Beast

048 (25:23) - Grandma Pyle, Fortune Teller

Disc 4 -

049 (25:33) - Arrivederci, Gomer

050 (25:11) - Sergeant Carter Dates A Pyle

051 (24:34) - Little Girl Blue*

052 (25:36) - A Star Is Born

053 (25:37) - Gomer And The Phone Company

054 (25:09) - Duke Slater, Night Club Comic

* Previously identified music deletion/replacement: When Gomer puts on a record, "Put On A Happy Face" is replaced by a jazzy instrumental, or at least, I assume that it wasn't played during a different part of the episode and deleted for the DVD outright. I didn't detect any out of place edits, at any rate! Assuming the former, that I most likely would not have picked up on this, if not for Caribimero's postings, is for me, indicative of the possibility that music replacements might be more common and pervasive than many, if not most fans of this series realize! How many of the instrumentals and other background music played during scenes in Restaurants, Clubs and other hangouts are unidentified music replacements, for instance?

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In checking Disc 3 of Season 2, I noticed that the "Little Girl Blue" episode with perhaps the most notorious instance of music replacement in the GOMER PYLE - USMC DVD set releases, is listed. With a running time of just over 24 1/2 minutes, cuts for length may not be obvious, an aspect that I think is worth noting, even as I continue to note the running length of every episode. Music replacement can sometimes be a subtle beast!

For what it's worth, I noticed that Gomer is currently airing on MeTV once a week, on Saturday nights, I believe. Perhaps, they might show a version of the above episode with the original "Put On A Happy Face" number, at some point?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks