What's new

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series - march release (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, the Scene was removed in its entirety I remember it being on TBS when I was a kid. I recorded the eps and remember that scene Clearly

That's CBS/P for you.

I think they did the same thing to either Taxi or Cheers or Odd Couple or another show they hacked virtually every bit of music out of... they cut the whole scene in its entirety because it revolved around music and wouldn't make sense without the song.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's CBS/P for you.

I think they did the same thing to either Taxi or Cheers or Odd Couple or another show they hacked virtually every bit of music out of... they cut the whole scene in its entirety because it revolved around music and wouldn't make sense without the song.
I don't know about TAXI or CHEERS, but I've read in other topics about the cuts for THE ODD COUPLE being especially extreme, especially the later seasons.

From what I've been able to gather, GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C. seems to fall somewhere in the middle regarding musical cuts. Unfortunately, there appears to be no list as such; just threads in various forums and other websites that mention some songs that are missing, some confirmed, and suspected edits and music replacements!

What we need is a comprehensive list all in ONE place! Even after my exhaustive search, I still feel as though I know next to nothing beyond what has already been covered in this topic! Heck, I couldn't even find an Episode List that included the running times for the DVD edits! Other shows, such as WKRP IN CINCINNATI and THE WONDER YEARS have comprehensive lists detailing all of the aforementioned; so should GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C! SHAZAM!!

CHEERS! :)

starchoice

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I don't know about TAXI or CHEERS, but I've read in other topics about the cuts for THE ODD COUPLE being especially extreme, especially the later seasons.

From what I've been able to gather, GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C. seems to fall somewhere in the middle regarding musical cuts. Unfortunately, there appears to be no list as such; just threads in various forums and other websites that mention some songs that are missing, some confirmed, and suspected edits and music replacements!

What we need is a comprehensive list all in ONE place! Even after my exhaustive search, I still feel as though I know next to nothing beyond what has already been covered in this topic! Heck, I couldn't even find an Episode List that included the running times for the DVD edits! Other shows, such as WKRP IN CINCINNATI and THE WONDER YEARS have comprehensive lists detailing all of the aforementioned; so should GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C! SHAZAM!!

Yes, Tony, there should be a list. Why don't you start one here?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My memory is that the cuts to the series were not extensive. I guess it depends on one's point of view about what is extensive. I remember being disappointed as to "what" was cut, not how much.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, Tony, there should be a list. Why don't you start one here?
This will likely be a project that I'll work on gradually.

For starters, I'll be noting the episodes that are shorter than the stated usual 25:30 full length run time. Based on a prior post indicating that nothing from the first season was cut or replaced, I will also look at variations (If any!) of episode length from that season, in order to get some idea as to whether say a 30 second variation is more apt to be the result of edited content, or else to allow for an extra advertised spot, or something of that ilk, as they might apply to the subsequent color seasons 2-5!

Hopefully, the above exercise might serve to trigger recollections of other HTF members who might recall what music might be missing and/or replaced in specific episodes.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
GOMER PYLE, USMC - Episode List And Running Times

For the time being, I'm focusing on the episode running times, as I've not been able to locate these ANYWHERE online; only that each full episode is supposedly 25:30 in length!

However, even on the first disc from Season 1, it is clear that not every episode adheres to the 25:30 full length episode time frame. Yet, the first season is considered to be the one in which all content is present and accounted for!

Season 1:

Disc 1 -

000 (25:29/28:08*) - Pilot Episode: Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. From THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

001 (25:16) - Gomer Overcomes The Obstacle Course

002 (25:30) - Guest In The Barracks

003 (25:17) - Private Ralph Skunk

004 (25:52) - Captain Ironpants

005 (25:29) - Gomer Learns A Bully

006 (25:24) - Payday

* With Sales Presentation By Jim Nabors. Unlike the series episodes on this DVD, for some unknown reason, a newer Paramount logo is attached to the original CBS logo ending of the Pilot episode, which I find really annoying, as this precedes the second part of Jim Nabors presentation, which really should follow the 1964 era CBS logo, instead!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Apart from the Pilot episode, I've just finished viewing the shows on the first disc.

In my opinion, these aren't as good as I remember.

THEY'RE EVEN BETTER! Each episode is a delight, and at one point during the fourth one ("Captain Ironpants."), I was nearly moved to tears! Garry Marshall and Jerry Belson wrote with a great blend of humor and heart even back in '64!

I also really enjoyed the Jim Nabors commentary from the first episode. Above all, his good natured kindness really shines through!

Frank Sutton displays more range as an actor on GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C. than even I had recalled. I thought that Sergeant Carter having to say his orders without yelling in the "Private Ralph Skunk" episode was absolutely hilarious!

I'm looking forward to viewing more of these!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
In my opinion, these aren't as good as I remember.
When I read this, my mouth dropped...I felt the same way in the late 90s when I watched them all after many years. They are better than I remembered.

I'm not a fan of the later Friendly Freddie episodes, or a fan of Lou-Anne Poovie, but even given that, I don't think there's a stinker episode in the whole series. Clearly some are better than others, but it's a rare series for me that doesn't have a single stinker that I can remember.

Gomer Pyle is such a series. Just excellent.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Put me in the "I didn't think I'd like it as much as I remembered" camp only to discover, like Tony, that I felt it was far better than I recalled! But I'm finding that's the case with lots of older series I used to watch fairly regularly. I think part of that is I saw them so often they became somewhat background noise. When I watch them now it's with full attention and they almost seen brand spankin' new since it's been so long since I last saw them. I need to introduce my grandkids to Gomer. I think they'd like it as much as I did waaaaay back then (and still do). :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When I watch them now it's with full attention
This is such an excellent and important point. It's nice to know I am not alone. When I sit down to watch a show, that's all I do--watch the show. I don't own a cell phone so that doesn't distract me. I don't own an iPad that I can carry to the TV room. I don't have a TV in my office. When I work at my desktop, I work. When I play, I play (surf the Internet). I think I am happier that way. But I fear I am a dying breed.

I sometimes question if I am a relic or if multi-tasking is really so beneficial. To me, when I try to do several things at once, whether it's talk on the phone or watch TV (or work and play at the same time), I can't do any of them very well without sacrificing quality somewhere. I don't see how anyone could. I wonder what this means for our youth. Am I out of touch? Is concentration overrated? Is there some kind of new multi-tasking skill that I am simply unable to grasp or respect?

Either way, Private Gomer Pyle deserves my full attention. And he will always get it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

For the time being, I'm focusing on the episode running times, as I've not been able to locate these ANYWHERE online; only that each full episode is supposedly 25:30 in length!

However, even on the first disc from Season 1, it is clear that not every episode adheres to the 25:30 full length episode time frame. Yet, the first season is considered to be the one in which all content is present and accounted for!

Season 1:

Disc 1 -

000 (25:29/28:08*) - Pilot Episode: Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. From THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

* With Sales Presentation By Jim Nabors. Unlike the series episodes on this DVD, for some unknown reason, a newer Paramount logo is attached to the original CBS logo ending of the Pilot episode, which I find really annoying, as this precedes the second part of Jim Nabors presentation, which really should follow the 1964 era CBS logo, instead!

Disc 2 -

007 (25:35) - Nobody Loves A Sergeant

008 (25:40) - Gomer And The Dragon Lady

009 (25:19) - Survival Of The Fattest

010 (25:09) - A Date For The Colonel's Daughter (Gomer sings for the first time in this series)

011 (25:01) - They Shall Not Pass

012 (24:38*) - Sergeant Carter, Marine Babysitter

* The first episode to clock in at under 25 minutes. To me, it didn't appear to be edited, although the shorter running time might suggest otherwise. Could there have perhaps been 1 or 2 extra commercial slots (Or something along that line!) for that week's episode?

If anything, I thought that Episode 10 had a slightly early fadeout for what would have been a commercial break. In addition, this episode's closing credits suffer from double imaging:
vlcsnap-2017-01-04-19h18m48s326.png

When I first saw this, for a brief moment I was afraid that something might be happening with my vision? Call it a diabetic based fear! Aside from this anomaly, the visual quality has been in my opinion, quite good for DVD! There is also a brief audio glitch in Episode 3, in which a few seconds of Gomer's dialogue is somewhat garbled, although still easy for me to understand. Again, I've found the overall audio quality to be otherwise quite fine for that era in Television! I should also state that I've been using Headphones for most of the episodes (Including the 3rd), thus far!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I know the set was a long time coming for you and I am so glad you are enjoying it. I really appreciate your taking the time and energy to go over these episodes with a fine-toothed comb and then create a running document of the episodes. Very nice indeed.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I know the set was a long time coming for you and I am so glad you are enjoying it. I really appreciate your taking the time and energy to go over these episodes with a fine-toothed comb and then create a running document of the episodes. Very nice indeed.
Hi Alan!

In turn, I really appreciate your kind feedback! As I've previously alluded, these early episodes have given me a lot of pleasure, and some much needed laughter, of late!

At this point, my main objective, in terms of documentation, is to include the running time of each episode. I was actually quite shocked that for all the existing common knowledge of some episodes being edited on the DVDs and what the length of a full episode should be (25:30), that I was unable to unearth a single source that actually details the running times for each GOMER PYLE: U.S.M.C. episode!

As for identifying music, I'm admittedly somewhat weak in that area. I don't even recall the name of the song that Jim Nabors sang on the Season 1, Episode 10 (25:09) - A Date For The Colonel's Daughter! At best, I'm hoping that some others who follow this topic might have their memories triggered by these listings as I post them! Other than what has been mentioned so far, I don't know what to look for, really. If I spot any weird edits, I'll try and make notation of such, but I can't promise that this won't at times come off a bit like Zsa Zsa Gabor on GILLIGAN'S ISLAND's "Turn left at the lily pad" direction! ;)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think you're on the right track. If a minute or more is missing, that's a pretty good sign there's been a music cut. I don't recall much of anything being cut for syndication. Just music cuts.

P.S. The song you are searching for may be "Put on a Happy Face."

starchoice

Grip
Real Name
Steve
Use the following information which I tracked down, as a double-check on your findings:

In Season 2 at least 2 of Gomer's songs were cut. In Season 3 there are 2 episodes that require Gomer to sing and all those songs are included. Those are "Love's Old Sweet Song" where he sings to Lou-Ann Poovie and "Sing A Song Of Papa" where he sings for the gangster nightclub owner. However, there is one episode "To Re-Enlist Or Not To Re-Enlist" that is questionable. There is a scene with Sgt. Carter and Cpl. Boyle discussing Gomer's upcoming re-enlistment. Then, cut to Gomer and his fellow Marines in the barracks talking about whether they will all re-enlist. In this scene Gomer is holding a guitar. Did he just finish a song that was cut? This episode is also the shortest with a running time of 24:02. Also, all 3 of the episodes that feature Lou-Ann Poovie have her songs included which strengthens the case for Season 3 being complete with no cut songs.

Gomer does sing in "To Re-Inlist or not...". He plays the guitar and sings "This Train is a Going Home Train, This Train". It lasts over a minute and a half. Why it was cut I don't know. Also a small cut in "Love's Old Sweet Song" at the end of the episode. Sgt. Carter sings to Lou-Ann from a phone booth and they cut his singing and went right to the part where she hung up on him. That ruined the end joke. At least they kept part of it unlike the 2nd season in "Gomer Untrains a Dog" where they cut out the whole end scene where Sgt Carter sings "There are Smiles That Make you Happy" to the dog after Gomer sang it earlier in the episode (which of course was also cut).

There is also at least one cut in the episode "Go Blow Your Horn", possibly two...when Carter tells Boyle to go to the barracks to make Gomer stop playing his ukelele, there is merely generic ukelele music on the DVD. Originally, I'm sure Gomer was playing and singing a song. I don't remember the song, but seems to me it had the words "bye, bye" in it. Earlier, about a minute-and-a-half into the episode, Gomer is telling the Sergeant how in grade school his class would march to class while singing to something called The National Emblem March...There is a "jump" in the scene, and I think that perhaps Gomer sang a bit of it for the Sarge and it was cut out. Singing for Sgt. Carter there on the spot would have been totally in character for Gomer. At 24:49, the episode's length is up to a minute shorter than some of the others.

...the second time Boyle goes to the barracks Gomer is singing "Ain't She Sweet" while playing the ukelele which is also cut out. And the other scene at the beginning...was cut...They cut out Gomer grabbing Sgt. Carters hand and swinging his arm while going DAA da da Daada dada....( The National Emblem March, if you heard the tune you would recognize it). Similar to Stars and Stripes Forever which Gomer does later and that is not cut. Other cuts...are in "Lou-Ann Sings Again" they cut out her song when Gomer and Duke first come in the club (watch it, an obvious cut). Also a small cut in "Lou-Ann Sings No More" at the very end in the record store a customer ask how the song "Red, Red Robin" goes and they cut out where Lou-Ann gets Gomer to sing a few bars of it.

the saxophone music that was performed at the nightclub in the episode where Duke Slater impersonates Sgt. Carter was taken out and replaced by new music.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Season 1:

Disc 1 -

Disc 2 -

010 (25:09) - A Date For The Colonel's Daughter (Gomer sings for the first time in this series)

* The first episode to clock in at under 25 minutes. To me, it didn't appear to be edited, although the shorter running time might suggest otherwise. Could there have perhaps been 1 or 2 extra commercial slots (Or something along that line!) for that week's episode?

If anything, I thought that Episode 10 had a slightly early fadeout for what would have been a commercial break. In addition, this episode's closing credits suffer from double imaging:
vlcsnap-2017-01-04-19h18m48s326.png

When I first saw this, for a brief moment I was afraid that something might be happening with my vision? Call it a diabetic based fear! Aside from this anomaly, the visual quality has been in my opinion, quite good for DVD! There is also a brief audio glitch in Episode 3, in which a few seconds of Gomer's dialogue is somewhat garbled, although still easy for me to understand. Again, I've found the overall audio quality to be otherwise quite fine for that era in Television! I should also state that I've been using Headphones for most of the episodes (Including the 3rd), thus far!

Disc 3 -

013 (25:29) - The Case Of The Marine Bandit

014 (25:42) - Sergeant Of The Week*

015 (25:41) - Grandpa Pyle's Good Luck Charm

016 (25:23) - Dance, Marine, Dance

017 (25:31) - Sergeant Carter's Farewell To His Troops

018 (24:57) - The Feudin' Pyles

* It is after the tag ending of this episode that I noticed the music in the pre end credits bumper (Is that the right term in this case?) seems fuller and maybe just a bit faster than in previous episodes. The music for the end credits themselves sounds the same as in previous episodes, at least to my ears.

Other notes: As on the previous 2nd disc, the 3rd disc closes with an episode that clocks in at under 25 minutes, but just a shade under. Again, I'm not picking up on any obvious tip offs of their being anything missing from either of these episodes. If anything, one of the longest, "Grandpa Pyle's Good Luck Charm" (Episode 015), appears to have a very brief jump cut during the first marching exercise, which I'm presuming has likely always been there, to begin with.

Insofar as the music, I'm assuming the Jazzy sounds playing off the phonograph in "Dance, Marine, Dance" (Episode 016) are original. The same for the light piano/brass segue in "Sergeant Carter's Farewell To His Troops" that plays as Vince and his "Date" go from the Marine's usual hangout to a classy Nightclub. I make mention of these, in case any more adept ears might pick up something different!

Overall, I'm really enjoying the 1st season of this long overdue revisit of a beloved series from my childhood (Although it had been in syndication a couple of years when I first viewed them!). If anything, they seem even funnier to me, this time around!

I also highly recommend viewing the 10 minute disc 3 extra of Jim Nabors' David Frost Show guest appearance! Besides providing great insight to the graciously modest gentleman Jim is, in a rough cut playback, we get to see Mr. Nabors priceless reaction to his head being shaved after the director yells "cut!"

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Season 1:

Disc 1 -

Disc 2 -

vlcsnap-2017-01-04-19h18m48s326-png.36171

Disc 3 -

* It is after the tag ending of this episode that I noticed the music in the pre end credits bumper (Is that the right term in this case?) seems fuller and maybe just a bit faster than in previous episodes. The music for the end credits themselves sounds the same as in previous episodes, at least to my ears.

Other notes: As on the previous 2nd disc, the 3rd disc closes with an episode that clocks in at under 25 minutes, but just a shade under. Again, I'm not picking up on any obvious tip offs of their being anything missing from either of these episodes. If anything, one of the longest, "Grandpa Pyle's Good Luck Charm" (Episode 015), appears to have a very brief jump cut during the first marching exercise, which I'm presuming has likely always been there, to begin with.

Insofar as the music, I'm assuming the Jazzy sounds playing off the phonograph in "Dance, Marine, Dance" (Episode 016) are original. The same for the light piano/brass segue in "Sergeant Carter's Farewell To His Troops" that plays as Vince and his "Date" go from the Marine's usual hangout to a classy Nightclub. I make mention of these, in case any more adept ears might pick up something different!

Overall, I'm really enjoying the 1st season of this long overdue revisit of a beloved series from my childhood (Although it had been in syndication a couple of years when I first viewed them!). If anything, they seem even funnier to me, this time around!

I also highly recommend viewing the 10 minute disc 3 extra of Jim Nabors' David Frost Show guest appearance! Besides providing great insight to the graciously modest gentleman Jim is, in a rough cut playback, we get to see Mr. Nabors priceless reaction to his head being shaved after the director yells "cut!"

Disc 4 -

019 (25:08) - Love Letters To The Sarge

020 (25:32) - Sergeant Carter Gets A "Dear John" Letter

021 (25:35) - Daughter Of The Sarge*

022 (25:35) - Officer Candidate Gomer Pyle

023 (25:34) - Old Man Carter (1st Episode to list '1965' in closing credit.)

024 (25:31) - Gomer Makes The Honor Guard

* Closing Music briefly gets a bit garbly near the end.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Season 1:

Disc 1 -

Disc 2 -

vlcsnap-2017-01-04-19h18m48s326-png.36171

Disc 3 -

Disc 4 -

019 (25:08) - Love Letters To The Sarge

020 (25:32) - Sergeant Carter Gets A "Dear John" Letter

021 (25:35) - Daughter Of The Sarge*

022 (25:35) - Officer Candidate Gomer Pyle

023 (25:34) - Old Man Carter (1st Episode to list '1965' in closing credit.)

024 (25:31) - Gomer Makes The Honor Guard

* Closing Music briefly gets a bit garbly near the end.

Disc 5 -

025 (25:23) - My Buddy -- War Hero

026 (25:36) - Double Date With The Sarge

027 (25:00) - The Jet Set

028 (24:38) - Sergeant Of The Guard

029 (25:18) - Gomer Dates A Movie Star *

030 (25:27) - Gomer The M.P.

* The female celebrity name in this episode, matches that of the show's Script Continuity girl, Gloria Morgan.

A Few Closing Season 1 Observations:

There seemed to be very few instances of Gomer singing in this inaugural season. In fact, I believe Episode 10 (Gomer Dates The Colonel's Daughter) is the only instance. Nearly all other musical instances are of the instrumental variety, which may explain the lack of replacement music being utilized. If I recall correctly, Gomer Pyle (JIm Nabors) does a lot more singing in the later color seasons. Perhaps, it was this realization that initially prompted CBS/Paramount to apply cost cutting measures in regards to editing music from some of the episodes, beginning in season 2?

As season 1 wore on, the chemistry between Jim Nabors and Frank Sutton became evermore evident. There are some touching moments in which Gomer and Vince come across as like Father and Son. For me, the end of the "Officer Candidate Gomer Pyle" is a prime example of this! Of course there are plenty of Gomer getting in Sergeant Carter's hair moments. For me, the first season ends perfectly in this respect!

Despite the reported edits that begin during Season 2, I'm very much looking forward to viewing these! However, as I'll be going on an overseas trip with our Son this coming weekend, I'll likely be taking a break for a bit. On that note, I'll end this post with a few screenshots from "The Jet Set" episode, in which U.S.M.C. Privates Gomer Pyle and Duke Slater accidentally end up flying overseas! I also recommend viewing the 10 minute "Brothers-In-Law" bonus segment from THE JIM NABORS HOUR, featuring Jim, and Frank Sutton!

Heading to Rome, Italy via TWA (Which closed in 2001), in "The Jet Set" episode:
vlcsnap-2017-02-10-21h31m21s510.png

London, England was one of the other "destinations" in "The Jet Set" episode. Our Son and I should be there for real (Via Icelandair), next week!:
vlcsnap-2017-02-10-21h39m48s890.png

Pvt. Gomer Pyle inquiring about making a purchase at the London Airport in "The Jet Set" episode:
vlcsnap-2017-02-10-21h41m33s855.png

P.S. As a means of preventing these lists from becoming overly unwieldy, I will be doing separate lists for each GOMER PYLE, U.S.M.C. season!

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am enjoying your posts very much. The Jet Set is one of my all-time favorites. If I want to remember how my father looked and sounded when he laughed, all I have to do is watch this episode. Every time Gomer panicked and said, "We're in Rome! We're in Rome, Italy!" my dad just laughed and laughed. Thirty-five years later, I can still imagine it as clear as if it was yesterday.

Safe travels. Enjoy your precious time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks