What's new

Golfing tomorrow: HELP! (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
All right, I haven't golfed in about 5 years and I wasn't very good to begin with. However, I am hitting the links with my friends tomorrow.

Any quick tips to help me not make a complete fool of myself? I'd appreciate it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Hit the ball FIRST!
Don't tackle on players .... it's not hockey or football!
Fights are NOT allowed, but taunting is.
Fake a back injury early in the round it makes a great excuse for a round in the 130s.
Good luck:)
Brent

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
"Based on real-life experiences"

Since you are golfing with friends, they probably are aware that you have not played for several years. However, be sure to point this out, as well as the fact that you weren't very good to begin with.

That having been done, just go out and have a good time. Set a maximum number of strokes per hole (usually double par for that hole) and pick up once you reach that max. That way you won't be holding up them or the folks behind you.

Enjoy your few good shots, don't worry about the many bad ones, and (once again) have a good time. That's why you are going out. Otherwise, you'd have taken umpteen lessons before doing this.

Paul

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
2. Swing slow and easy
Excellent swing thought - immediately following a very slow, deep breath. Also, the worst thing you could do is try to process every tip you will eventually see listed here. Go with this one and have fun! :)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
1. Go to the driving range tonight and hit some balls.
2. Like Paul said, pick up the ball if you're taking too many strokes on a hole. Nobody cares if you're bad, they only care if you're bad and holding up the game.
3. Next time, don't go 5 years between rounds. :)
/Mike

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really bad at golf as well, but I do play some. Number one rule to golf is DON'T PLAY SLOW. A lot of people haven't heard this.

If you slice a ball 20 ft into the woods, just drop. No one really cares, it isn't a tournament. I can shoot 120 and still finish a round in 3 hrs if there isn't anyone holding us up (that's with 4 people).

Just play quickly and have a good time and you'll be all set.

matt bee

Stunt Coordinator
You should probably run out and rent both Caddyshack movies so you can brush up on course ettiquete.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
If you slice a ball 20 ft into the woods, just drop.
I agree with this one a lot.

Stop at Goodwill, a used sporting goods shop, or some other place that has dirt cheap used balls and tee off with those. If the cost of balls is a factor and you are going to hit a lot into the trees, better to tee off with junk and not chase them.

Make light of your shortcomings and don't get angry or too embarassed. If these people are really your friends, they aren't going to judge you based on your golfing skill.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, guys! I will definitely not slow down the game any more than it already is. That's one of the reasons I haven't played lately...I was getting frustrated always waiting for the group ahead of us. No one seems to let you "play through" anymore.

Not that I'm trying to rush anyone; golf should be relaxing. But I noticed over the years that it takes longer and longer to complete 18 holes. I think the first year John Daly got famous, everyone went out and bought a Big Bertha club and became a golfer...it sure crowded up the courses.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people know nothing about the rules and the etiquette of the game. For example, the provisional ball rule is one of the best ones to use in order to speed up the game, but a lot of people don't use it.

/Mike

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
One word: stretch. I do this every time I play golf now due to a pulled muscle from trying to be the long-ball king. I still drive it longer than any of my friends but I still stretch - my body tells me that this is good for it. ;)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
One thing to try is instead of taking full swings, only take half swings until you are close to the green. Put the driver away and use irons off the tee but still only use half swings. Much easier to control and to get better contact with the ball. Start out this way and as the round progresses, you might want to try a few full swings and see how it goes.

Bruce

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Well guys, here are the results:

I got a 112. Believe it or not, it turned out my friends were just as rusty as me, and I actually beat two of them!

I somehow managed to make par on the first hole, a par 5. I finished the first 7 holes in 39 strokes, but after that, major fatigue set in and I started getting the dreaded double- and triple- bogies. Hey, it was really hot and I'm out of practice!

But on the whole, I was pleased. I had several great shots that were encouraging. What seemed to have hurt me the most was my PUTTING. Abysmal. But hey, I can't complain, and I'm looking forward to golfing again soon! Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks