What's new

Golfers, Are Iron 4, 6 & 8 and Wood 5 really necessary clubs? (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
A 8-Piece kit (W1, W3, I3, I5, I7, I9, Sand Trap & Putter) would be 160$ cheaper (And lighter to carry) than a 12-Piece (W1, W3, W5, I3, I4, I5, I6, I7, I8, I9, Sand Trap & Putter) I'd like to know if the missing clubs are really necessary.

I'm far from being a good golfer, I scored 85 last time I played (That's on a 9-Hole! - The All-Par-3's kind) For now, I rent clubs each time, and the rental kits are the 8-Piece ones, so it's not like I tried the even-numbered-irons. I just enjoy the games and need something else to do when the weather outside is nice than watching DVDs inside!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Do you ever want to get good? If yes then you'll need those irons. If no and you are happy being a happy hacker forever than yeah forget about those irons if it'll save money. The irons beginners don't need to worry about are: 2 and maybe 3 and then a anything loftier than a pitching wedge (altho sand wedges are good for the sand if you know how to use them).

Cam S

Screenwriter
With less clubs it will mean you will have more situations where the distance to the hole is in between clubs, as in you won't have a specific club that can hit that distance. It's alot easier hitting a normal swing 9 Iron 160 yards than it is to hit a Hulk swing PW 160 yards. If you ever wanna get good at this game I would suggest spending the extra bucks to get the 12 piece set. Usually clubs are WAY more expensive to buy individually than it is to buy them in a set, so really you'll be saving money.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Actually, for the weekend golfer it is generally recommended that you carry more woods instead of the longer irons. The long irons are probably the most difficult clubs to hit for the average golfer. You need to generate a lot of clubhead speed to get the ball airborne with these clubs. That is why you see women professionals, who generally have slower swing speeds that are more similar to weekend golfers, carrying more fairway woods.

After struggling with the long irons, I have replaced my 3 and 4 irons with a 7 and 9 wood. FYI, I am a 13 handicapper, due mostly to my accuracy and short game, since I am not a long hitter.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
When I first started my favorite club was my 5 wood. I gradually learned to hit a 4 wood and I needed a perfect lie to go with my 3 wood. I wasn't was very good with my 3 and 4 irons and never had a 2 iron.

So, I'm thinking your 3 wood and 3 iron in the first set would be difficult for you. That leaves a big gap to your 5 iron.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I agree that all the clubs are necessary, but once in a while I find it useful and fun to play a "practice" round with just a driver, 5I, 9I, and putter. It forces me to manufacture shots and be more creative.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I can only hit a 3 iron and putter so as far as I'm concerned none of the others are needed :)

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend going to get lessons from a pro - he/she will also be able to help you in your club selection.

To answer your question though, I would go for the full set - also you probably want to add a pitching and/or gap wedge between your 9I and Sand Wedge.

Butch C

Second Unit
Should not hit any club with a number lower than 5 until you fell that you are really playing well. Walk before you can run...Ive played for 3 years and my 3iron is useless

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
For a beginner, hitting a driver and the long irons consistently are quite difficult. I would suggest getting a 3, 5 and 7 wood and 5-9 irons plus a couple wedges and a putter if it's at all possible to buy your clubs per piece. If you must get a set, then go with the complete one.

There's no sense getting a good set now since you'll only really know what you need after you've grooved your swing and have a few rounds under your belt. Buying used could be a good idea...

When shopping for clubs, I've found that it's most important to match the shaft to your swing. The choice of clubhead doesn't seem to have as much an effect....

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Interesting....
I am an awful golfer, and I always had great deal of difficulty with the 2 and 3 irons and never used anything under a 5.
Until I took lessons.
Now I find the 2 and 3 irons to be my friends, I find hitting with irons to be much easier than woods. I'd be willing to play a whole round without pulling out a single wood. Or a single bogey. :frowning:

MichaelG

Second Unit
I use my 3iron/4iron all th time when I play. I almost never use any fairway woods and often tee-off with a 3 or 4 iron. I feel much more accurate with the irons than with the fairway woods. I do hit them about 225 and 215 respectively so I generally don't ~need~ to use a fairway wood. I have a 2 iron but almost never play that as well.

For a beginner I would suggest playing mostly with the 5-7-9-PW from the fairway and rough. Until you can hit those well you will not need to use a 3 or 4 iron, and the 6-8 will come into play as you get more consistent.

R

RossTerry

i like carrying a 2 iron for low shots out from the trees...not that im there a lot...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I tend to use my low irons(3-4) off the tee VERY early in the round, if it's windy, or if the track is tight.

The first couple holes are always hit with my 3 iron.

I only just started to hit my 3-4 iron when I bought this set last spring, and currently hit my 3 about 200yards.

A little short, but when you are trying to straighten out a weak grip AND a short swing you're just happy when you hit it clean.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am the opposite of Michael and Brent -- on a tight driving hole, I will use a 3 or 5 wood in place of my driver. I am much more accurate with a fairway wood than a long iron, both off the tee and from the fairway. Some of the longer hitters (and lower handicap) guys I play with prefer the long irons instead, though.

The best advice I can give is to learn what works best for you, and then manage your game around your strengths. Of course, it does take time to learn how to hit different clubs and shots, so do not give up on something you are struggling with quickly when you are learning the game. In my case, I've been playing golf for about 26 years, so I know my strengths and weaknesses very well by now.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
I took my 3 and 4 iron out of the bag years ago. If I need to hit anything over 210, I use a fairway wood instead.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Update: I found a better deal on a full-kit somewhere else. It comes up to about only 30$ more expensive than the half-hit at that other place. So I should have all the clubs and not feel like I'm missing out.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Update again: I took my dad to that other place that sells the full-set cheaper to get his opinion (Since he is a more experienced golfer) and according to him, it's rather poor quality and the half-set at the other place was a better quality so I guess all my Irons will be even-numbered... Although the Bag and cart I might get at that cheaper place...

Like he suggested, if I need the 4-Iron, I just use the 3-Iron and hit less hard... And if I really start missing them, I will upgrade (Maybe next year or the year after)

I should purchase the thing tomorrow and play 1 or 2 rounds this weekend to try it out...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks