Golf: The Masters 2005

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tiger Woods erased Chris DiMarco's 3-stroke lead from the middle of yesterday's 3rd round (which was called due to daylight waning, as a result of the rains in the early rounds on Thursday and Friday pushing play back) by playing very well this morning, and DiMarco's game went south on him, and Tiger finds himself with a 3-stroke lead going in the final round himself.

Tiger has won all 8 of his majors while leading after 54 holes, so it bodes well for him today. He's never made a charge on Sundays to win a major, so the move he made on Saturday and this morning was key in getting himself in position to win a 4th green jacket.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Not only did he erase the 3 stroke lead, he went 3 up in a 26 minute span

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

OMFG! What an amazing chip shot by Tiger on 16! I actually screamed "OH MY GOD! WOW!!!" (which scared the beejezus out of my 2 cats, of course).

4. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

*Sigh* Well, so much for hearing any non-Tiger PGA tour news for the next 3 years...

Gutsy play by both guys. Hard to believe that chip shot won it.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wow, now that was a dogfight, with Tiger giving away strokes in the final 2 holes in regulation, but came up big with a strong putt to put it away in the first sudden death hole for his 4th green jacket.

Congrats to DiMarco for never giving up and putting together a really good final round after Tiger gained the 3-stroke advantage this morning finishing up the 3rd round.

Mickelson can't be all that happy to have to give Tiger another green jacket... [​IMG]

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Loved the show, hated the coverage.

Weir was top 5 for the last round and they showed him about 4 times!!

Brent

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Congrats on your 9th major Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting to say that a loooooong time! [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It got a little stressful at the end with the end result taking a lot of pressure off of Woods shoulders. I don't think Tiger's 30 yet so to win nine majors and four Masters before your 30th birthday is very special.

Crawdaddy

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

That chip on 16 was unbelievable for how long it hung on the lip. A shot for the ages.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

CBS showed that he is the youngest player to win 9 majors (he's 29). I think the next closest was Nicklaus at 31 or 32. He's still only halfway to Nicklaus's 18 majors.

That was a terrific finish. I got back from my own golf round in time to see Tiger and DiMarco on the 11th hole. DiMarco hung in there better than most players would have when going head to head against Woods. I can't add much to what's already been said about that chip shot at 16, except... WOW!

It was sad to see Jack Nicklaus say goodbye to Augusta for the final time, just as it was sad to see Arnie say goodbye last year.

11. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Tiger's chip on the 16th was amazing. I felt like I was watching Caddyshack!!!!

Congrats to Tiger!!! And very well playing played by DiMarco. He could have very easily fell apart after that 74 third round. But he hung tuff and damn near stole it back away from Tiger.

12. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Add Tiger's chip in on 16 to the short list of clips that will be played over and over again for the rest of time.

Elin Woods was looking damn good. To think she has an indentical twin sister just wants to make my head explode. [​IMG]

I wonder how nervous Ryan Moore had to be, being in the same room as Tiger and Phil.

Cool of Tiger to dedicate his win to his dad, looking directly into the camera to say it.

2005 Tiger is not the Tiger of Old. Old Tiger would have stomped all over DiMarco and not let him back into it.

I hope Jack Nicklaus comes back next year. It would be the 20th anniversary of the greatest Masters ever, his 46th Masters which interestingly enough, was his age when he won it in 1986.

Let the Grand Slam talk begin!

13. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Notice how Tiger never looked at Phil or thanked him when he gave him the Jacket?
    I was pulling for DiMarco...being a Gator....[​IMG]

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I saw a highlight of Phil helping Tiger with the jacket and Tiger smiling at him and shaking his hand.

Crawdaddy

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nike is going to get so much mileage out of that extra revolution of the ball on that shot on the 16th hole. You can easily see the Nike Swoosh as the ball rolls to a stop on the lip of the hole and then falls in.

It was like Caddyshack, only without the explosions from hunt for gofer. All that clip needed was Brian Doyle Murray staring at the hole waiting for the ball to drop and signaling that it's good! Come to think of it, Tiger does have that commercial where he's hunting gofers too.

16. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I've never been a golf fan at all however yesterday I watched this in HD for a few hours and got totally sucked in. I think after this I'll start paying more attention to golf and start watching it more. It also helps that golf in HD looks incredible!

Jeff

17. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

Considering my own father just passed away three weeks ago, this moved me very much.

Tiger is a class act.

18. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Tiger and Chris were so far ahead of the field, that is why the coverage focused on them only. It is always like that on Sunday in golf. If more players were closer to the lead, they would have earned screen time. When Tiger is off the leaderboard, its not like they still give him TV time, they don't.

I'd rather just see the guys with a shot to win.

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Unfortunately, this may be the only golf to be seen in HD. Last season, CBS did cover a few other tournaments after the Masters in HD -- such as Harbour Town -- but I have not heard any plans for this year. Neither NBC nor ABC have ever covered a tournament in HD.

It's too bad, because HDTV really showed off Augusta so much better than regular old analog TV. You can make out the elevation changes of the fairways/greens and breaks of the putting surfaces so much better.

20. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Tiger and Chris were so far ahead of the field, that is why the coverage focused on them only. It is always like that on Sunday in golf. If more players were closer to the lead, they would have earned screen time. When Tiger is off the leaderboard, its not like they still give him TV time, they don't.'

OH how I wish that were true. Wier was in 5th place at -1, and Woods was at +1 and they showed Woods all the time. Don't forget that Weir won this in 03 and deserves more than a passing glance.

Brent