What's new

Golf Fans: Anybody Ever Attended a PGA Tour Event? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I know there are some of you that have attended PGA Tour events. I will be attending my very first next week in my home state and check this out - it's a major! :D
Do you have any thoughts on your experience that might make this rookie's more enjoyable? For instance: Establish a position or move around? What to carry? How to piss-off Tiger and get away with it? Well, you get the picture. Damn, I can't wait! :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I went to the PGA championship last year.

There's basically 2 ways to do it:

1. Follow some of the players around for most of their round.

2. Just sit in one spot and watch everyone play those nearby holes.

Drink lots of water, use plenty of sunscreen, wear very comfortable walking shoes, and have fun marvelling at some of the amazing shots that you'll be sure to witness by the players. They truly make the game look so effortless.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I attended the Buick Inv. in Westchester, NY a few years back and followed Tiger. He is history in the making, and for my first PGA tournament I wanted to witness history and watch the best. He didn't play too well, but it sure was fun to watch.

What I did was go to the next tee as they putted on most holes. This allowed me to get right next to the rope as close to the tee as possible. After the shot I walked alongside the fairway with the crowd. Then after the approach shot, to the next tee I went to grab that ropeside spot. For most tees I was not more than a few yards from the players. Tiger was playing with Mark Brooks and Jeff Maggert. You can do this same strategy probably for any player you choose to follow even more easily. Since I was so close to the players on the tees, I heard a lot of entertaining conversation, and it was quite weird to see Mark Brooks puff a Marlboro Light every few holes.

What I brought with me was a backpack with water and fruit. I did not drink nor desire to drink any alcohol. It was a great day.

As for pissing off Tiger, I don't know why you would want to do that to him or any other player.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've been to a few European tournaments and one PGA tournament here in Tucson, but they haven't had any huge names (certainly not Tiger) in them. I always pick one guy and follow him for most of the 18 holes. It gives a great insight to golf at the professional level, it lets you really connect on a more emotional level than just sitting at one hole watching the players go by, IMO.

And try not to piss anyone off...

/Mike

Denward

Supporting Actor
I was at the PGA at Valhalla here in Louisville when Tiger finished his "Tiger Slam". I was right in line behind Bob May's putt that just missed on the third playoff hole.

I've also been to The Memorial in Columbus, OH.

If you decide to sit in one spot, I would pick a par 5 that's reachable (but not easily) in 2, preferably with a little water in play. I think you get the most fireworks at that kind of hole.

I also highly recommend going to practice rounds or Thursday/Friday rounds. During practice rounds, you get to see players in a little more relaxed attitude. Some even chat with the gallery. Before the weekend, there's just more golf to see. It's illuminating to see pros who are not playing particularly well. It just shows they're human. When you watch on TV, they're always focusing on the leaders so you don't realize that sometimes even these guys struggle.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I've been to the Greater Hartford Open numerous times...in fact, before the tournament moved to the TPC course here in CT, it was played on my home course (Wethersfield CC). I've probably been to 20+ GHO's and I'm only 30. I have also been to 5+ Bank of Boston Classics, One Bay Hill Invitational, one US Open (Baltrustal, late 90's, won by Lee Janzen) and one Masters (1990).

I always follow one player all 18 holes. Better exercise, you get to see the whole course and you would be surprised how hard you end up rooting for that one guy to succeed.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
First off, let me just say that the PGA tour that Jeff is talking about will be held here in my home town of Chaska, MN.

Now, I do think that it's exciting that such a big event will be held in my humble little town and that some of the greatest golfers in the world will be present. However, I do have one minor quibble: The event will draw many thousands of people to my little town each day. It also just so happens that the tournament will be held directly in the path I take to get to work, making my otherwise pleasant commute a living nightmare of traffic jams and crowds. Normally, the trip only takes 15 or 20 minutes and there's relatively little traffic in my way. (I work night shift so I don't have to contend with rush hour to and from work.) All that will change next week, at least on the trip to work. I doubt anyone will be on the courses when I come home at 1:30 in the morning.

So, Jeff, if you do decide to make the trip out to see the pros in action, please know that you're one of the many people turning my life into a living hell. Thank you.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I attended the FedEx/St.Jude classic in Memphis a few years back and had a good time with my father, the real golf nut. What we eventually did was found one of the longer holes and sat at the green of it. Some amazing short-game and putts were made there. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
So, Jeff, if you do decide to make the trip out to see the pros in action, please know that you're one of the many people turning my life into a living hell. Thank you.
Jeffrey,
We will be using the free parking shuttle from Canterbury Downs. So at least I will be doing what I can to minimize your stress. ;)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I've been to the Air Canada Championship a couple of times. Mostly for the NHL-NBA Pro-Ams rather than the real players. I usually just find a nice par 3 and sit at the hole. This way you can see the tee off and watch it land on the green (at least most of the time). And, if your lucky you can turn around and see the next hole tee-off if its situated that way.

Patrick

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With the galleries that Tiger draws, you will find it difficult to follow him for 18 holes and actually see anything. If you want to see him, you may be better off picking a spot on the course where you can watch him come through, jump a few holes ahead and wait for him to come through again, etc.

I volunteered at the Senior Tour's TPC for 5 years (it's a major on the Senior Tour). As a volunteer, I had great access to view and talk with the players during the Wednesday pro/am, plus received free admission for the entire tournament. I would usually pick a few favorite holes on the course and wait for the name players to come through, then move ahead to another favorite hole and do the same thing.

Volunteers also received a free round of golf at the course -- the TPC of Michigan in Dearborn.

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Jeff, I'm also going to watch Tiger kick some bootie next week. I have two sets of tickets for mon-thur for a really low price so if you know anyone who is interetsed please let me know.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I've been to the US Open.

Fortunately a friend of mine is a member at the Olympic Club and we really did have a sweet set up.

In fact one of the practice days I spent must of my time in the Clubhouse watching the World Cup with Nick Faldo. Pretty nice guy but he did mooch off of my appetizer plate.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. There was some great information posted here. I will certainly use what I have learned. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks