Golf club question - used Callaways on Amazon...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kirk Gunn, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Anyone order any of these ? A friend of mine that's VERY good at golf said these are decent deals.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the progression of the Callaway models and their sweet spots (Big Bertha, Steelheads, etc). Obviously I am looking for a club that will hit straight and long with my poor--ss swing.... [​IMG]

Anyone have any insight ?

Thanks

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

If you find it, PLEASE let me know. I was at the range yester afternoon; I went with the pupose of making a range card; here's how it went:
    SW=80yds
    PW=90yds
    9iron=100yds
    8iron=110yds
    7iron=120yds
    6iron=130yds
    5iron=WTF!!!chili pepper!!! 20 of them!!! This is embarassing!!!

By the time I got the 5 iron straightened out, I was almost out of range balls. Oh well, try again tomorrow.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Kirk, I'm pretty familiar with the Callaway drivers and woods, but not their irons. I've played their Warbirds (passed them on to my dad) and a couple different Steelhead models for the fairway woods. I used to play their Big Bertha, Great Big Bertha and Hawkeye drivers (I'm now playing a Nicklaus model).

I love the Warbird and Steelhead fairway woods. I wasn't a big fan of the Hawkeye driver (although I used a Great Big Bertha driver for several years).

Which particular model were you interested in and what is the price at Amazon?

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Scott - I'm looking for 3 and 5 woods, plus a driver.

The Steelheads are priced lower than the "regular" Big Bertha, but then again the "Pre-Warbids" are around the same....

So, what's the difference between the Big Bertha I, II, Steelhead and Pre-Warbird ?

Thanks !

Here's the link....

Used Callaway at Amazon

5. Scott Merryfield

It looks like the Big Bertha and Great Big Bertha are the newer, reintroduced line from the past couple of years. The War-Bird and pre-Warbird are the original clubs from over 10 years ago. The Steelheads were released in between.

In order from oldest to newest:

Pre-Warbird Big Bertha
    Warbird Big Bertha
    Warbird Great Big Bertha
    Hawkeye
    Steelhead, Steelhead Plus, Steelhead III (oldest to newest)
    Big Bertha 2004
    Great Big Bertha 2004

Callaway dominated the driver market with their original Big Bertha and Warbirds, then lost big market share when they cancelled that line and started the Hawkeye.

The ERC driver was their recent attempt at a composite material head design (instead of titanium). The original didn't go over too well (I never tried one), but this year's model is making some headway, along with Cleveland Golf's composite driver.

I never tried the new Big Bertha or Great Big Bertha fairway woods, but I really like my Steelhead Plus (5 and 7 wood) and Steelhead III (3 wood). I thought they were an improvement in forgiveness and playability over my previous Warbird fairway woods (which I also liked). Since it looks like the Steelhead Plus prices are only slightly higher than the Warbirds, I would personally go that route.

As for drivers, you may want to look at other brands. Callaway's recent drivers have not been that great. When I shopped for a new driver last year, I really liked the Nicklaus AirMax 440, Taylor Made R580XD and Cleveland Launcher. I ended up with the Nicklaus and still love the club a year later.

Personally, I would look at titanium for the driver and steel for the fairway woods. The titanium head fairway woods are too large to play off the grass, IMO.

6. Julian Reville

Not to thread hijack [​IMG] but I just got back from the range; the irons I couldn't hit yesterday, I was plastering today. So in my case at least, it ain't the clubs, it's the golfer.

I wonder if I can cancel my bid on eBay?

7. Scott Merryfield

Julian, all true golfers blame the equipment, not their swing. [​IMG] Get with the program. [​IMG]

8. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Buying golf equipment without trying them out is a crapshoot. It would be best if you could get fitted by a local clubfitter.

That being said, start hanging out at www.4gea.com. It's the golfing community's answer to HTF. Lotsa reviews and tips.

Just a few things that I've learned from them: 1. The shaft choice is every bit as important as the head. 2. Component clubs are as good or even better than OEMs at a much cheaper price. 3. There is much controversy on steel vs. graphite and cast vs. forged.

9. Julian Reville

Yeah, I know. My watch list on eBay has 16 golf clubs & sets on it, and I'm bidding on 2.
    Just gotta have some better clubs, you know.....

Then I look in a golf book and see a 1930 picture of Bobby Jones swinging a wooden handled club with a clunky blade: classic, perfect form.......

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Excellent point. Unfortunately I am "resource constrained" to the tune of ~250.00. Am also having a tough time finding local shops selling a variety of used clubs to demo...

I rationalize shelling out a couple hundred bucks on some clubs that are "known" to be decent will improve my game (or at least make it a bit consistent), and I then convince myself to get fitted and do it the correct way in another year or so.

Right now I've got a mish-mash of no name clones for my woods. Thanks for the link, will be checking it out thoroughly. Hopefully they are kind to newbies !

Scott - thanks for the model progression and the comments !

11. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Thanks again for the 4gea.com link..... now my morning is totally wasted. [​IMG]
    Beer Golf

12. Scott Merryfield

Yes, if you are not buying new clubs, it can be tough to demo clubs. However, since you are paying a fraction of the cost of new clubs, you can afford to make a few mistakes. Just make sure you at least know what shaft flex you play.

That being said, I almost always buy new clubs ('cause I'm an equipment whore [​IMG] ). There is a local shop near my home with an outdoor range that will let you demo any club they carry -- and they carry just about everything. My wife still curses the day Carl's Golfland built a store in our town. [​IMG]

13. Julian Reville

Atlanta has 3 Golfsmith stores! Augusta has none! All we have are a couple of small golf stores with indoor nets, and some pro shops. Pitiful.

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

With Forzani giving up on Tommy Armour Golf, it still might be a great time to pick up a set.

Brent

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I live a mile from a Golfsmith store, but I sort of gave up the game because it was costing too much money and time for self-inflicted aggravation and self-immolation during the rounds for me.

16. Scott Merryfield

We have several other golf stores in the area -- Golfsmith, Pro Golf, Caddyshack, etc. However, all those store only have indoor nets for club demos. Carl's Golfland (a local business with only two stores, both in Michigan) has a complete outdoor heated range for practice and club demos. Their prices are just as good as the large chains, too.

When we are in Myrtle Beach, I love Martin's Golf & Tennis (there's one a few miles from our condo). Their club repair service is the best I've ever seen. I can get my clubs regripped in a couple of hours (sometimes less if they're not busy) -- every place here in Michigan takes several days up to a week. I just drop my clubs off after a morning round and pick them up when we're out for dinner.

17. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

What is the cost of getting new shafts on existing woods ? Since I'll be in Myrtle Beach for a week, I'm contemplating buying the woods at home, then getting the shafts adjusted by Martin's when I'm there.

18. Scott Merryfield

It depends on the shaft you select. When I gave my old Warbird fairway woods to my dad, we had them reshafted with a senior flex graphite at Martin's in Myrtle Beach. He went with their lowest cost shaft, and spent less than $30 for each club, including the new grip and labor. I spent about $70 to have a regular flex Graffaloy shaft put on my old Great Big Bertha driver several years ago. In my case, I was looking for an improvement over the inferior shafts that Callaway used at that time. In my dad's case, he needed to change to a lighter flex and he doesn't golf very much, so we were trying to do it for the least cost possible.

19. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Carl's Golfland is a pretty neat place. Right by my house is King Par, our largest place to buy equipment. They carry all the major brands as well as manufacturing Affinity and Knight. I just picked up a set of Wilson Fat Shaft Deep Reds, 3-P for 169.00 and love them. They are much more solid through the swing than even the Talor Mades I was using before, and I am getting decent distance. I have a fairly slow and controlled backswing, so from 150 yards, its a perfect 8 iron.

Of course, playing with my brother in law who is 6'3" and swings like a tornado, he is sure to mention on every whole how he drives it over 300 yards and hits his pitching wedge 150 yards, then I remind him at the end of the round how I just beat him by 10 strokes [​IMG]

20. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Kirk,
    Shaft price ranges can vary. You can get the shop's "house special" for something like $30 as mentioned above. Of if they carry Mitsubishi Diamana, you could that for around $300 for the shaft alone.

Your best bet would be to read up on Myrtle Beach golf at http://forums.prospero.com/mbgolf/start and look for a decent club fitter in the area. He should be able to hook you up with a great shaft that fits you for around $50-60.