What's new

Goldwyn titles...what's the hold up??? (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I asked Criterion about the former and they said they now had the R1 rights to it as part of their Korda holdings; I'm praying for a Korda Eclipse box at the very least.

The latter has been released in the UK by Network (licensed from Granada), along with 'The Return of The Scarlet Pimpernel'.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What kills me is that all of the Danny Kaye's have been released (and sit happily on my shelf) except for Up in Arms. Where the hell is that title?

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully we will see more Ronald Colman in the future Both MGM & Fox have titles they can put out

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jim; finally got my Network 'Pimpernel' set. 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' looks and sounds fine, the print is in excellent condition considering its age - I have to say, it isn't quite as sharp, and doesn't have the same level of contrast as my off-air recording though there's not much in it.

'The Return...' is, frankly, appalling. It's faded, dirty, there are tears in the print and I don't think it's even had a perfunctory clean-up. There's a pronounced hiss on the audio track throughout.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've been checking TCM for many months watching for an airing of The Scarlet Pimpernel (1935), but it never seems to be scheduled. Does anybody know when it last aired?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Definitely and good call!
20th airs Clive of India and Under Two Flags fairly regularly on their channel and Pioneer in the laserdisc days released Bulldog Drummond and Raffles with The Devil to Pay. There are many, many others I would really like to see (Masquerader, Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo, Bulldog Drummond Strikes Again, etc., etc.)

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I'm most interested in the Danny Kaye and Eddie Cantor titles. I've always liked Danny Kaye, but hadn't seen anything from Eddie Cantor until recently... he is hilarious!!! Frankly, I don't understand why the studios don't get off their duff and release their "Grade A" titles because even though there are a lot younger classic film fans (I'm under 40), my guess is that the target market, especially for Early to Mid 30's films is 60 years old and up. And every day their target market, through attrition, is shrinking. If they wait 5, 10 or 15 years to release these titles, they may find them less profitable.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
MGM needs to revisit two Goldwyn classics both directed by William Wyler - Dodsworth and Little Foxes. I watched both recently after a long time and compared to the quality we have come to expect lately (thanks to Warner, Fox, etc) these were in really bad shape. I had a hard time getting through Dodsworth without being distracted by the print damage.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In fact, THE HURRICANE (John Ford, 1937) WAS released on DVD briefly (at about the same time as WUTHERING HEIGHTS). I owned both. HURRICANE was pretty grainy but the final half hour is so damned spectacular (few films even recently with all their CGI effects have done better at simulating catastrophe) I am truly puzzled that whoever now owns it hasn't restored it and put it out. Remarkable early Ford film, not as well remembered as it deserves to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks