Goldsmith's The Ghost and the Darkness Score

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_W, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I absolutely love this score and was wondering if anyone had it? I don't, but would love to pick it up. There is some music in the trailer that was not in the movie and was wondering if it was on the soundtrack. Anyone know?

Anyone but me actually like the score?

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't own it, but just had to post here because I finally broke down and bought this movie last week, when its price dropped to $19.99 (even though it's non-anamorphic).

I too love the score.

3. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

From jmreview.web.com

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) is among Goldsmith’s best action scores. It is scored for large orchestra with an especially large brass and percussion section. The score reminds one of The Wind and the Lion. Some electronics, ethnic instruments, a small children’s chorus, and a single male voice are present for added effect. Sonics are the best I’ve heard from a Goldsmith soundtrack, and the performance by the National Philharmonic Orchestra is superb.

The Ghost and the Darkness begins with a clever Irish theme, representing Royal Engineer Colonel Patterson, which leads into the main theme, representing Africa. This main theme, usually played by the brass, is bold and heroic. There are a few minor themes as well. The “Love Theme” only makes a few brief appearances, most notably in “Catch a Train.” It soars in the final track. This theme resembles the “Love Theme” in Air Force One and Mulan. There is also the “Lion’s Theme,” a menacing sounding one played by the lower brass. This theme is most notable in “Lions Attack,” “Lions Reign,” and “Remington’s Death” (a great spoiler title). The score is made up mostly of action music, some of which is Goldsmith’s best. Numerous interesting moments in the score along with terrific themes make this an excellent score for any soundtrack fan. My only regret is that there are some portions missing from the soundtrack that were in the movie. Because it was recorded in London (the musician release fees are not as high there) the producers could have released more of Goldsmith’s score instead of the hideous African chants that occupy the latter part of the disc. The Ghost and the Darkness is a roar of a good score!

Score: *****