What's new

"Goldmember" GONE as title for Austin Powers 3! (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Rob and Ben...

My 2 sided Goldmember poster came in today from our guys. I couldn't believe it as I assumed their distriubtor would have to send their stock back on the recall.

Did you guys get yours?

It's a killer poster by any account, gold flake in the name and 2-sided as I mentioned. I'm keeping mine rather than try to sell it.

edit - I notice they are a dime a dozen over at Ebay now, selling for around normal value. Still, I'm glad to have one because I think it's the best looking AP poster yet.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
That's good to hear Seth. No, I haven't got mine yet, but my card has been charged, so I'll get it by the weekend hopefully. And yeah, I saw that at eBay, but I kinda lucked out I think. I had originally ordered 3 copies, but they only charged me for one, so I get mine, and don't get stuck with speculative dead-weight. But who knows? If the movie actually does come out under a different title, those prices may go up again. Then I'll be whinin' lol. ;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't believe it! I got home today to find mine in the mail today also! The EBAY prices have somewhat died down so... I think I am going to keep mine (maybe sell it later... but for now, it looks real nice next to my 'Episode II' teaser poster :D )

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
YAY! My mailman just now knocked on my door to hand deliver my poster :D . Pix did in fact only send me the one, enforcing a one to a customer rule due to the demand. Kudos to them for being fair and not pandering to speculators (um, like myself ;) ). The gold flake lettering is cool as hell Seth! Now I gotta go find a poster frame for this... no way am I stickin' pins in it.
One question; mine may be two sided, but the back side is all in yellow-ish... like, black and yellow. Just checkin' to see if y'alls are this way, and wonderin' if this is a reprint at all. Go here and you'll see exactly what I'm talkin about... http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...em=1512706347.
My guess is that it is indeed a first print (why go to a reprint on a recalled poster, after all?) but I just hadn't heard anything about it to this point.
This is the first time for me to order from Pix by the way. I've been browsing their site for a year about, but just hadn't really had the funds to spend on anything. My first experience has been extremely pleasant. I actually ordered over the phone, and later called for an update on the order, and both times the girl I spoke with (Chris, I believe) was very helpful. The poster arrived in a rock solid tube, and by USPS as I requested (I absolutley loathe UPS). So, kudos to Pix. I'll certainly be ordering from them in the future.
Also, did y'all catch the news? Pix was hacked on the 13th. They say the site was always secure, but the homepage was changed to damaging misinformation. Check out the notice on their site... http://www.pixposters.com/pix/index.cgi#.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about this today, I think perhaps the best protest to MGM might be to call this film "Goldmember" whenever referring to it.

"I'd like a ticket to see Goldmember please"

"Have you seen Goldmember"

"Goldmember is the best of the Austin Powers Movies".

Just because the MPAA says that New Line can't call it Goldmember doesn't mean we can't.

Wouldn't it be nice if without a credits sequence declaring it as such, this movie became "Goldmember" for all time?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mine is backed the same way. Bummer about the hack, guess I should watch my card for the next few days just in case.
I agree, call it Goldmember despite MGM's actions.
We will have to have Robert start up the **** Official Goldmember discussion thread when it comes out.
:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Various movie sites (JoBlo's, Coming Attractions) are talking about the most recent unconfirmed rumor:
The new title MAY be License to Shag.
If that's the case: :rolleyes

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Why don't we start coming up with other names for the movie? Maybe we could give MGM an idea (unless they already chose one).

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Now there's a good idea, MJ! (Hmmm, Budd Lake... I think I' spent a week there one afternoon! :) )
Here are my suggestions for the new Austin Powers title:
Dr. Yeah (Baby!)
The Spy Who Loved Mini-Me
Austin Powers in BrownEye
For Your Teeth Only

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
License to Shag...I think that sounds okay. Similar to the last one obviously which fits with a series like this.

I will be calling it Goldmember unless New Line officially retitles it with some other Bond parody.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A friend and I were coming up with some...
Live and Let Shag
Moonshagger
On Her Majesty's Swinging Service
A View to a Shag
You Only Shag Twice
We had some others, but I forgot them...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wasn't MGM's whole argument that the parody title infringed on their Bond trademark? If so, I'd think any parody title that takes off from a Bond movie title would be off limits. Not that it's not fun trying them out....:)
Personally, I find the whole "James Earl Jones dubs over 'Goldmember'" suggestion hysterical.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Maybe they should try "Never Say Goldmember Again". Sorry if someone already wrote this title down...I didn't read the entire thread. But if no one did, consider it MY idea.

Aaron Garman

LONG LIVE LASERDISC

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
That's great! :laugh:
It's my understanding that if NL were to file papers correctly with the MPAA they could get any of these parody names through the process, and could have done the same with Goldmember but blew it by not filing in time.
So does MGM strictly have rights to Never Say Never Again since it's the one "rogue" Bond film? Wouldn't that be a hilarious way around it. :D

Paul W

Second Unit
So, what's the final result? Have they come up with a new name or have they reached an agreement with MGM?
I'm asking this because I just saw the Goldmember trailer in front of LOTR tonight.:confused:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Really? Because it was pulled in Indy and replaced with Spider-Man some time ago. At least the Goldmember teaser, not the AP3 trailer that was on the Super Bowl.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I haven't read through the whole thread, but does anyone think they might reshoot some of the movie to insert some jokes about this whole fiasco? Such as someone shushing Austin when he tries to say the name Goldmember?

DanR

Supporting Actor
I haven't read through the whole thread, but does anyone think they might reshoot some of the movie to insert some jokes about this whole fiasco? Such as someone shushing Austin when he tries to say the name Goldmember?
Ryan, that's fricking brilliant. If they do have to reshoot some scenes, I could totally see them doing that. Since it's allegedly the last AP film, as long as they don't get sued, what do they have to lose by sending MGM a big "F**k You".

Regards,

Dan

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree they shouldn't let this pass without tweaking MGM in some way. Further back in this thread someone suggested that every instance of "Goldmember" be overdubbed by someone like James Earl Jones saying some other name/word. I thought that would be funny, though the comic opportunities here are many.

I hope they don't miss the chance to turn this around on MGM for being so petty.

Travis D

Second Unit
Not only should James Earl Jones overdub "Goldmember," he should also do an introduction to the film ala Masterpiece Theatre. Sitting in his chair, he would give a history of the debacle and explain his voice interjections. He would dub in the word "Dr. Goldfoot". (Yes, from the Vincent Price movies) Lastly he would say, "Now sit back, relax, and enjoy Austin Powers in Goldm..." As he finishes the first half of Goldmember, a giant sign pops on screen. The sign being of The word Goldmember, but hidden behind a big black bar so you can't read every letter. Then Dr. Evil comes on screen and spray paints "Dr. Goldfoot" on the black bar.

Tedious? Yes.

Funny? I sure as hell hope so. I wrote the damn thing.

[EDIT] Dumbass. I'm a complete dumbass. Dr. Goldfoot is owned by MGM. Wouldn't you know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks