What's new

GOLDFINGER : will 'missing frames' issue be fixed for blu-ray?! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

That may be well and good, but to me it makes it look like a problem and doesn't in any manner make the scene move any faster IMHO. I almost wanted to eject the disc and check for fingerprints or something else that would make the disc malfunction. I know other films have had such things repaired electronically.

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Well it's not a problem, so I guess you'll just have to deal with the way a 46 year old movie was made.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
I think we are in good hands this time around, it seems the Bond BD releases are having the UE issues corrected

fabulous!!!

-Gary

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Well, considering that the excised frames from Goldfinger were not a UE problem (they were also missing from the previous DVD release) I certainly hope they address that as well.

Largo

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
This is a most disturbing issue, MielR. I'm afraid that this particular issue with the Goldfinger UE suggests that Lowry Digital did not actually use the original camera negative for this transfer. :eek:

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

The missing frames (in all of the DVD versions) also fit with the theory that Lowry did use the original negative, but the frames were damaged beyond repair in the negative some time ago.

-R

Largo

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
But I was under the impression that the film elements for the 1995 video release of Goldfinger were also used for the initial DVD releases by MGM before the UE editions. However, the 1995 video doesn't have the missing frames flaw, but it has the very same scratches and dirt exhibited in the initial DVD releases. This is most confusing and frustrating. I sure hope that Lowry solves this particular conundrum with a perfect Blu-ray transfer -- otherwise I'll be :angry:

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Then why didn't they replace the missing frames with those from a print, such as the one used for the Criterion LD?

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

Well that's the question. And it's a good one. And I don't know the answer. There's certainly nothing from stopping them from doing that for the BD release - except $.

-R

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Watched it on Spike the other day, and that car scene sticks out like a sore thumb. :rolleyes

I REALLY hope they fix this before the blu-ray comes out!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't think a couple of missing frames are as big a deal as some others here, but if they were present on a previous release (the Criterion laserdisc) but missing from the DVD, doesn't that suggest that there is indeed something that can be fixed? Or is there some reason to believe that the version with the missing frames is correct, while the version with those frames intact is in error?

I won't lose any sleep over the missing frames should they be omitted from the Blu-ray release as they were from the DVD, but it seems pretty clear from what I've read in this thread that something is wrong with the DVD version, however minor it might be.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

I have both the Criterion LD and the UE DVD of GOLDFINGER.

The frames are not missing on the LD, but are missing on the DVD.

I don't see how that can be interpreted as anything other than a defect on the DVD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Possibly we're referring to different "missing frames."

There are purposeful edits in several of the early Bond films to tighten action within a take. This may be a secondary problem.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
What Mr Harris refers to are jump cuts, which was a technique Peter Hunt liked to use. However, I believe what MielR refers to is actual missing frames rather than a jump cut. I have both LD and DVD. I must remember to check this out.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
There are definitely missing frames in Goldfinger. How this happened from one version to another is anybody's guess, but it really does need to be fixed.

Reminds me of the missing frames issue on the SE of OHMSS (involving the cable car) which was fixed for the UE.

Fingers still crossed for fixed versions of the following on BD:

Goldfinger (missing footage)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (colour issues and music mixing)
A View To A Kill (framing and the "camera shake")
Goldeneye (framing)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Yes, the problem mentioned was well covered in the relevant SD thread(s): the issue is not jump cuts, but print damage. It's from a wide shot of Odd Job's car pulling off the highway onto a dirt road. Older home video releases showed obvious damage during this shot, but by the time it got to DVD they'd just removed the frames altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks