Goldfinger...what version to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Garman, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I'm going to make it plain and simple: what version of Goldfinger should I buy? I've seen the DVD and it is nice, but are the laserdiscs better in terms of audio/video? I like extras too!

Aaron Garman

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Wait for the title to be taken off moratorium later this year. The DVD may be given a new anamorphic widescreen transfer that has been mastered in high-definition but with the same supplementals as before.

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    If you can't wait for the new DVD and want the version that has the correct British aspect ratio of 1.75x1 as well as the title song in stereo, get the THX W/S CAV Laserdisc version. This can be found fairly easily on Ebay for well under its original retail of $100.
    I'm a big fan of the Bond series. Goldfinger is my favorite. I own every incarnation of Goldfinger on LD and DVD, and I prefer the THX LD in either CAV or the less expensive CLV version.
    Reed [​IMG]

4. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

5. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

"The DVD may be given a new anamorphic widescreen transfer that has been mastered in high-definition"

The current is anamorphic and looks fine on my 56" rear proj. telly.

Do you mean re-mastered or was the original anamorphic transfer not mastered in high-definition ?

6. John J Nelson

John J Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Rejecting an anamorphic 1.78:1 transfer in favour of a non-anamorphic 1.75:1 transfer is seriously nitpicking!
    Anyways, wasn't the British/European matted aspect ratio 1.66:1 ?
    -- J.

7. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I just watched the Goldfinger SE DVD on my Mits 65" RPTV and thought it looked great. Good picture quality for a movie of some age.

Given the amount of time and money I've put into collecting all the Bond SE DVDs, I doubt I'll replace them unless there's something really, really special about the new DVDs that come out sometime in a year.

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

9. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

rutget-- I hope not, I am working on getting all my favorites right now. I wouldn't want to re-buy them all.