GoldenEye DVD ( S. E.)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JaleelK, Apr 29, 2002.

1. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

This movie is officially out on print in the U.S. When I came into that knowledge I was disappointed, because I'm a huge fan of the James Bond flicks, espcially some of the recent ones with Pierce Brosnan. I had previously owned this movie on laserdisc(DTS), but I got rid of my entire LD collection, with exception of one and replacing those titles with anamorphic DVD's and now I'm going to get rid my old laserdisc player. It was painful to give up the GoldenEye LD knowing that I might not get a chance to replace it with the DVD and I just had to wait until United Artist decided to release it again on DVD. The GoldenEye LD was I one I cherished, because it reminded me of my first experience watching a movie in digital sound at the theater. That movie was Goldeneye and it was shown in DTS and I was simply blown away by the movie and the sound. Thinking about that , I got a little frustrated, waiting for GoldenEye DVD to show up on the stand at my nearest BestBuy, so I turned to Ebay and Amazon, Amazon had a copy, but they were charging more than I wanted pay for a DVD($29.00 shipping not included), so I turned to Ebay, I bidded one copy from a guy from Thailand, and won the bid for $10.00 and got a copy of this disc for total of $15.00 with the shipping charges. Two weeks later I recieved this disc from Thailand, open up the package and there it is, behold to my surprise, there is a DTS logo on the disc, apparently this disc is encoded with DTS and DD 5.1 sound, so popped into my DVD player, selected the DTS track under in the menu under languages and WOW!! this is one awesome soundtrack.

Does anyone else have the GoldenEye DVD with DTS sound? Do all the special editions have DTS sound? I'm wondering how did this disc get pass me. If so, would you say this is one of the top DVD soundtracks out?

2. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Just checked my disc from the box set and it has no DTS

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I have all 007 Special Edition DVDs (Region 1). Not one of them has DTS sound. Besides, the Goldeneye has the overwhelmingly bass-heavy (to the point when it gets annoying) soundtrack -- at least on DVD. Sounds almost like the mixing levels where set wrong.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You bought yourself a bootleg. The DTS track is more than likely either A-Fake, or B-Just the DD 5.1 re-encoded

5. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Incidentally, all the Bond DVDs will be taken off moratorium when the new Bond flick comes out at the end of this year, I believe, so you can get the official Goldeneye DVD then.

-Tom

6. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. On this topic, how does that DTS Laserdisc compare to the Dolby Digital Laserdisc and the DVD? Thanks!

AJ Garman

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Its a...

Bootleg

The pirates now take the Dolby Digital 5.1 channel soundtracks and re-encode them to dts.

The pirates can also take a mono, stereo, or Dolby 2.0 Surround soundtrack and re-encode that to either Dolby Digital or dts...sometimes they do both.

8. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds

9. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

10. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

11. rutger_s

Yes, the pirates are well financed and do have the tools to press real DVDs(DVD-5s mostly but now DVD-9s, as well), encode sound, create their own subtitle streams, and in some cases even create their own 5.1 channel remixes.

12. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

14. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

Is this acknoledged by the studio? Because I remember renting the old Dolby Digital laserdisc and thinking it was a tad boomy but didn't know that it was encoded wrong. Is the Event Horizon problem with the LD, DVD, or both? Also is the bass level too high that it might cause damage to my subwoofer?

15. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

16. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

17. JasonH

JasonH Extra

Couldn't it have the DTS track from the Goldeneye DTS laserdisc?

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It could theoretically have the DTS track from the LD. But I'm doubting it. That disc is hard to find, and it's too much work when you're making a bootleg. Trust me it's just a recompressed DD 5.1.

19. rutger_s

The Japanese discs are handled by distributors KNOWN for including the dts audio option.
    In fact, Pioneer distributes the DVDs for Buena Vista International Home Video(Armageddon) and included a dts audio option because of this.
    MGM Home Entertainment & MGM International Home Video, on the other hand, handle their own DVD distributions. They have yet to support dts audio fully, and the only title thus far is Hannibal. The only other time dts audio might be included with an MGM film is when another distributor takes care of the title.
    And the James Bond films are always handled by MGM Home Entertainment & MGM International Home Video.

20. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit