What's new

GoldenEye DVD ( S. E.) (1 Viewer)

JaleelK

Second Unit
This movie is officially out on print in the U.S. When I came into that knowledge I was disappointed, because I'm a huge fan of the James Bond flicks, espcially some of the recent ones with Pierce Brosnan. I had previously owned this movie on laserdisc(DTS), but I got rid of my entire LD collection, with exception of one and replacing those titles with anamorphic DVD's and now I'm going to get rid my old laserdisc player. It was painful to give up the GoldenEye LD knowing that I might not get a chance to replace it with the DVD and I just had to wait until United Artist decided to release it again on DVD. The GoldenEye LD was I one I cherished, because it reminded me of my first experience watching a movie in digital sound at the theater. That movie was Goldeneye and it was shown in DTS and I was simply blown away by the movie and the sound. Thinking about that , I got a little frustrated, waiting for GoldenEye DVD to show up on the stand at my nearest BestBuy, so I turned to Ebay and Amazon, Amazon had a copy, but they were charging more than I wanted pay for a DVD($29.00 shipping not included), so I turned to Ebay, I bidded one copy from a guy from Thailand, and won the bid for $10.00 and got a copy of this disc for total of $15.00 with the shipping charges. Two weeks later I recieved this disc from Thailand, open up the package and there it is, behold to my surprise, there is a DTS logo on the disc, apparently this disc is encoded with DTS and DD 5.1 sound, so popped into my DVD player, selected the DTS track under in the menu under languages and WOW!! this is one awesome soundtrack.

Does anyone else have the GoldenEye DVD with DTS sound? Do all the special editions have DTS sound? I'm wondering how did this disc get pass me. If so, would you say this is one of the top DVD soundtracks out?

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I have all 007 Special Edition DVDs (Region 1). Not one of them has DTS sound. Besides, the Goldeneye has the overwhelmingly bass-heavy (to the point when it gets annoying) soundtrack -- at least on DVD. Sounds almost like the mixing levels where set wrong.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You bought yourself a bootleg. The DTS track is more than likely either A-Fake, or B-Just the DD 5.1 re-encoded

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Incidentally, all the Bond DVDs will be taken off moratorium when the new Bond flick comes out at the end of this year, I believe, so you can get the official Goldeneye DVD then.

-Tom

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. On this topic, how does that DTS Laserdisc compare to the Dolby Digital Laserdisc and the DVD? Thanks!

AJ Garman

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Its a...

Bootleg

The pirates now take the Dolby Digital 5.1 channel soundtracks and re-encode them to dts.

The pirates can also take a mono, stereo, or Dolby 2.0 Surround soundtrack and re-encode that to either Dolby Digital or dts...sometimes they do both.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Besides, the Goldeneye has the overwhelmingly bass-heavy (to the point when it gets annoying) soundtrack -- at least on DVD. Sounds almost like the mixing levels where set wrong.
The LD was like that, too. I read a review that praised its "extreme bass" once...

*sigh*

Still, turn the bass down and its a great track.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Besides, the Goldeneye has the overwhelmingly bass-heavy (to the point when it gets annoying) soundtrack -- at least on DVD.
Glad to see that confirmation of my experience with that disc. Every time I play this movie I have to turn down my subwoofer levels by -2.

I just recently purchased this title as well, but in my case I was able to easily find the disc at a shop near me that specializes in used CDs', video games, and DVDs.

The disc that I purchased contains an anamorphic widescreen transfer on layer 1 of a dual-layered disc, and a P&S transfer on layer 0, with virtually no extras, so it was obvious that this was its first release to DVD.

Knowing that the bit rates had to be very low in order for a 2 hour and 15 minute movie to fit on one layer of a disc, I expected to see digital artifacts out the gazoo. Surprisingly, the transfer looks pretty good, with very little EE noticeable. It was obvious that some shots were a little "soft" by today's standards, but overall the transfer maintained a somewhat filmlike quality.

I guess the compressionists just worked a lot harder back in the early days of DVD.

JaleelK

Second Unit
You bought yourself a bootleg. The DTS track is more than likely either A-Fake, or B-Just the DD 5.1 re-encoded
Are you saying that the bootleggers have a DTS professional encoder to add a DTS soundtrack to the disc? Also, the bass is heavy but you can easily turn it down.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Yes, the pirates are well financed and do have the tools to press real DVDs(DVD-5s mostly but now DVD-9s, as well), encode sound, create their own subtitle streams, and in some cases even create their own 5.1 channel remixes.

JaleelK

Second Unit
es, the pirates are well financed and do have the tools to press real DVDs(DVD-5s mostly but now DVD-9s, as well), encode sound, create their own subtitle streams, and in some cases even create their own 5.1 channel remixes.
I don't know if I want to support pirates, but that should be a memo to the studios, press more copies of GoldenEye and include a DTS soundtrack. I would love to own a copy of the Phantom Menance a DTS soundtrack, I can't say that I wouldn't be tempted to buy a so-called bootleg copy.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that the bootleggers have a DTS professional encoder to add a DTS soundtrack to the disc?
Yes. It's very easy to get. Funny the soundtrack you're listening to has both Dolby Digital (low bitrate) and DTS artifacts. It was decoded from DD to PCM, then encoded to DTS so the pirates could make people happy. That's got to cause some audible problems.

ALL versions of Goldeneye (except perhaps the dts LaserDisc which I've never heard) were incorrectly encoded the LFE channel 10dB higher than it should be. On my LD if I hit the "LFE -10dB" button on my old decoder (or turn the ICBM LFE trim knob down) it sounds great. "Event Horizon" has the same problem.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator

Is this acknoledged by the studio? Because I remember renting the old Dolby Digital laserdisc and thinking it was a tad boomy but didn't know that it was encoded wrong. Is the Event Horizon problem with the LD, DVD, or both? Also is the bass level too high that it might cause damage to my subwoofer?

JaleelK

Second Unit
Yes. It's very easy to get. Funny the soundtrack you're listening to has both Dolby Digital (low bitrate) and DTS artifacts. It was decoded from DD to PCM, then encoded to DTS so the pirates could make people happy. That's got to cause some audible problems.
What artifacts? What audible problems are you speaking of? I know that some of the disc in Japan are DTS encoded like, Stargate and Armageddon, but not in the U.S., are those pirated copies as well?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It could theoretically have the DTS track from the LD. But I'm doubting it. That disc is hard to find, and it's too much work when you're making a bootleg. Trust me it's just a recompressed DD 5.1.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Japanese discs are handled by distributors KNOWN for including the dts audio option.
In fact, Pioneer distributes the DVDs for Buena Vista International Home Video(Armageddon) and included a dts audio option because of this.
MGM Home Entertainment & MGM International Home Video, on the other hand, handle their own DVD distributions. They have yet to support dts audio fully, and the only title thus far is Hannibal. The only other time dts audio might be included with an MGM film is when another distributor takes care of the title.
And the James Bond films are always handled by MGM Home Entertainment & MGM International Home Video.

JaleelK

Second Unit
It could theoretically have the DTS track from the LD. But I'm doubting it. That disc is hard to find, and it's too much work when you're making a bootleg. Trust me it's just a recompressed DD 5.1.
I had the DTS LD and got rid of it, anyway, that could be a possibility, because the DTS track on this DVD is at least five decible louders than the DD 5.1 track, thats how the LD was. Also, can you explain how a DTS encoder can encode a 384kbps DD 5.1 soundtrack and make it play at 754 kbps or 1.4 mbps? Where are the bits coming from? Or is the DTS track also playing at 384 kbps ? I did think consumers DTS decoders can play low bitrate DTS. I'm trying understand how a encoder that's designed to compress and reduce data is able to compress DD 5.1, if is recompressed,what is the data rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakeallen27