Golden Room Ratio Questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by greg*S, May 4, 2006.

1. greg*S

greg*S Auditioning

I am getting ready to build a home theater room and I am modeling it using the "golden room ratio". Initially I will only have Dolby Digital 5.1 but will run enough wires to eventually upgrade to 7.1.

After reading several articles about this golden rule ratios I cannot find anywhere where it discusses exact speaker placement for 7.1. Does it matter? I would think it would make a huge difference, especially for the surround speakers.

Anyone know of some good articles that explain speaker placement in more detail?

2. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

Placement of your speakers is important, but don't make your room an eyesore by placing the in the perfect possition.
    This was found on dolbys website.

[​IMG]

It is important to make sure there is plenty of space between your listening area and your rear channels. otherwise, there really is no point to the 6.1 or 7.1 as you would loose the rear sound stage and shift.

3. Travis

Travis Second Unit

A lot comes into play when you are looking at 7.1. What is your primary listening medium (movie, Hi res), and how much room to your rear wall. A 7.1 setup will not be that drastic of an improvement over a well setup 5.1 system. I am playing devils advocate as I run a 7.1 setup. I experimented with both and found the 7.1 was an improvement in the rear soundstage in my situation.