Golden Globes

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sven Lorenz, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Since nobody else has opened a TV Golden Globes thread...

I'm really happy for Anthony LaPaglia - Without a Trace is my favourite TV show right now. Too bad it wasn't nominated for Best Drama Show.

24 was a well deserved win too - the main plot line is the best yet and although the Palmer stuff is boring it's better than Kim's adventures last season.

My personal highlight: Will and Grace didn't win anything.
    It wasn't funny, it isn't funny and it will never be funny.
    IMHO, of course.

The Office - the funniest show since Fawlty Towers - won two well deserved awards and Ricky Gervais had the best acceptance speech.

I didn't watch Angels in America - was it actually good or was it just AIDS + big stars = awards?

2. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Well I think technically 24 was winning for last season, so that's OK. At least West Wing didn't win.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The award is for the calendar year, so for TV, that would include the end of last season, when 24 was better, especially the final episode.

I also like Without A Trace, and LaPaglia (and Poppy Montgomery). More than half of the main cast is actually not American, so it's interesting when their accents or counter-accents slip through, like when LaPaglia says "car".

//Ken

4. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

The same thing happens on Arrested Development - Portia de Rossi isn't in full Aussie mode but she sounds a bit British from time to time.

5. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I was sad to see Jennifer Garner go away empty-handed, considering how many great episodes she had for the calendar year of 2003.

Other than not seeing Alias at least nominated for best drama series, I didn't disagree with much of the HFPA's choices.

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I was just pissed NBC didn't broadcast it in HD. [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A great show, filled with some great performances. Mike Nichols direction was spot-on.

Some critics thought that perhaps the plays were not so relevant today as when the appeared in the 90s (nor would they have the same impact), but the impact of what each characters search for power, happiness, redemption and acceptance is just as true now as it was then.

8. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Angels in America was a show that deserved all the awards they won. We can assume this show will be well represented when the Emmys are given out this September. I'm not surprised The Office won a couple of GGs. They like to give awards to show that are a bit off the main stream of TV.

Just a small observation. Isn't it ironic that the Foreign Press Assn gives out an award for Best Foreign Language Film. [​IMG]

9. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Here's what I posted over in the movies forum:

Well I know this is in the movies section, but I've just got to say that I'm so glad and shocked that The Office won for best comedy series and best actor. I highly recommend this show to any of you who haven't seen it yet.

Ricky Gervais' acceptent speeches really cracked me up too. He was hilarious and obviously shocked to have won. And he seemed like such an excited fish out of water (Hey there's Danny Devito!) Good Stuff.

And yeah. Go ROTK.

Chris

10. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

The Golden Globes is a great show, but this year's was kind of boring. Though I'm glad Jim Carey and Meryl Streep made the show funny.

11. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

On the TV side, I'm always irked that they lump all of the supporting performances together into one mass category (well, one male and one female). The skills required to make a performance riveting in series acting, miniseries acting and movie acting are quite different, as are the skills required to create convincing comedic and dramatic characters.

I know it's largely done because the attention on the Globes leans toward the film side (note that while drama and comedy are separated in major categories, film is lumped together for supporting acting, too), and there has to be a limit on the number of awards if they want the show to last less than five hours, but it's always jarring to see three actors from Angels in America competing with Sean Hayes and others. They all do something great, but they're apples and oranges.

On another topic: I was disappointed with the home stretch of 24's "Day 2" and part of the setup of "Day 3," but the 2003 calendar year included "Day 2: 10:00-11:00 pm" (Xander Berkeley's final episode, and one of the best hours of television I've seen in the last couple of years) and "Day 3: 7:00-8:00 pm," which redefined the mission we'd all been watching for two months, so giving an award to 24 is okay by me.