What's new

Golden Globe Nominees (1 Viewer)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
It's interesting to note that the film that will almost certainly win the Best Picture Oscar (for a variety of reasons - not least of which is that it's an excellent film and is exactly the sort of film the Academy will want to win in the current climate), Black Hawk Down, didn't get a nomination, probably because it wasn't released in time. Makes this year's GG's more useless than ever, although it was good to see Mullholland Drive and In the Bedroom nominated (notwithstanding the egregious omission of Tom Wilkinson (Washington has a lock on the Oscar, anyway).

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
With regards to carrying this over to Oscar guesses:
A Beautiful Mind has the edge, simply because it is backed by both Dreamworks and Universal. Generally, pictures backed by two major studios have the advantage -- look at Braveheart, Titanic, and Shakespeare in Love.
It is likely that all Best Picture nominees will be drawn from the ten nominated here; however, don't count out The Shipping News. I haven't seen it, but it's directed by Lasse Hallsrom and released by Miramax, which should guarantee it a nomination, no matter how good (or not) it is. Do the names The Cider House Rules and Chocolat ring a bell? ;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Edwin.
** cough ** Billy Bob *** cough *** Jackman ****
I said nothing. :)
But I agree on those 2 efforts. I know Jack has a load of gold, but if you bring it to the film it should be awarded. The man dominated in that film I thought.
And I figured that Pearce was going to finish the LA Confidential trifecta.
Both should be up for Best Actor without any doubts from me at all. I've seen not all, but a lot of stuff already, and I've found no one close to those 2 efforts except JCM.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
James,

The Shipping News is screwed because Miramax will give it's best effort to In the Bedroom, which is already winning quite a lot.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Very delighted over A. I.'s three nods. No Best Pic or Best Actor for Haley, but considering how early in the year it came out, I'm glad it was remembered at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks