Golden Age of Home Theater...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

...despite the clamoring of the masses and studios/manufacturers willingness to shoot themselves in the foot. In the face of adversity - DIVX, the survival of widely distributed OAR titles, and development of HD standards - it sometimes is hard to keep your eyes on the prize.
    And the prize? Aural/Visual experience at home that is exponentially better than what was had 20 years ago. I always felt a reluctance when considering investing in home theater back then. There was a nagging sense of transience when I plunked down (usually) big bucks for movies and gear. Remember when VCR's at ~$500 + were a luxury (not even talking about Beta)? Remember when there were no VCR's?
    Ultimately, home theater primarily consisted of gearing up for the (butchered) movie of the week on my family's faux-mahogany console TV. And ignorance was bliss.
    Fast forward (30x)...I've purchased 50 + titles in this past year. All dvd, all OAR. In my VHS epoch of 20 years, I purchased all of 10 - 20 tapes. I've decided I am in this for the long haul, since I sense we've reached tech terminal velocity. Unless the HD mess settles and/or we see the emergence of holographic home theater (not in my lifetime), my ephemeral tensions have eased and I can concentrate on my investment.
    I confess my problem revolves around my anal obsession to acquire and own. Out of the 100 + titles I've purchased in the last 4 years, I've watched about 40. Why so few? No time, or so I say. Aren't there more important things, such as tweaking the HT setup, like matching wine with food? Or arguing the OAR cause with the less informed?
    Well, screw the fokkers who don't like the black bars. And as far as my HT setup is concerned...I'm damn near blind and waking up to an AirTractor crop dusting plane for several years finally has muted my radar so that I can only hear between 1000 - 12000 Hz.
    I think I'm ready to watch movies.
    Why the epiphany, what inspired me to write this tome? I just watched The Last of the Mohicans early this morning. For me, this is a movie. I've owned this for over a year yet failed to make the effort. Even at 1 in the morning, I was only going to give a snow job effort on watching the film. If I got to quarter way, at least I'd get a taste.
    At about 3 a.m., my heart was pounding and I was transfixed. I am neither a history savant or a sucker for cloying dramas/romances. I do have a renewed sense of awe for film. I found myself swept up in the grandeur of this epic, to the point where I momentarily forgot where I was. It's a profound experience, a movie that is both complex and cerebral, yet hypnotic since it grips so viscerally.
    The library of movies has never been so available and complete, and its presentation never so perfect. Watch a movie. You'd be surprised what's out there. You may even be surprised with what's in your own library.
    ------------------
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

2. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Peter, for the reminder that we need to keep our collective eye on the ball. Like somebody said... it's the movies, stupid!
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Screening Room
    Our DVD collection

3. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Peter -
    Last of the Mohicans is quite a movie in OAR. I had seen it a few times on TV in Pan and Scan and never really appreciated it, but on DVD it was a whole new movie!
    ------------------