Gold/platinum records etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bjorn Olav Nyberg, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Who invented the standard of giving platinum record awards etc to artists? Is this some sort of universal standard they all choose to comply with? Wouldn't it be possible for some independent record company to come up with their own award, or is this what all the major record companies are doing already, or are there some kind of universal agreement which a third party is controlling. I am betting on the third party alternative, but still, is this a worldwide function, or are foreign companies just copying. Also, is the number of sold records required the same in all countries? I would think that it needs to be different depending on the populace.
    I was actually watching Kiss Konfidential the other day when there was a clip of the band getting platinum for some record, and started wondering. If anybody would like to share some knowledge, I'd like to hear [​IMG] Thanks!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Thanks, Vince, for a much better answer than I was expecting [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

If you're interested in more info, like a complete database of award winners, check RIAA.com. They have a whole section about the Gold/Plat/Dia records.

-Vince