What's new

Gold/platinum records etc (1 Viewer)

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Who invented the standard of giving platinum record awards etc to artists? Is this some sort of universal standard they all choose to comply with? Wouldn't it be possible for some independent record company to come up with their own award, or is this what all the major record companies are doing already, or are there some kind of universal agreement which a third party is controlling. I am betting on the third party alternative, but still, is this a worldwide function, or are foreign companies just copying. Also, is the number of sold records required the same in all countries? I would think that it needs to be different depending on the populace.
I was actually watching Kiss Konfidential the other day when there was a clip of the band getting platinum for some record, and started wondering. If anybody would like to share some knowledge, I'd like to hear :) Thanks!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Also, is the number of sold records required the same in all countries? I would think that it needs to be different depending on the populace.

It is different standards for different countries. Us, 10 mil is diamond, 1 mil is Plat, 500,000 is gold.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) administers a silver, gold, platinum and diamond award for other countries (70 countries) - and each has difefrent standards based on capita.

-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
If you're interested in more info, like a complete database of award winners, check RIAA.com. They have a whole section about the Gold/Plat/Dia records.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks