What's new

Gold disc for Zelda! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The following is NOT the commercial I was talking about:

http://zc.zeldaxtreme.com/download/z...ommercial.mpeg

The one I remember involved a guy running around, fighting creatures. Actually, maybe he was just looking over his shoulder and swinging his sword. I think he was pretty tall, unlike Link. The ad was dumb, but the few game play screens were enough to make most of us who saw it want the game.

The one I linked is just plain awful.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Are you guys talking about the commercial where the guy keeps yelling the names of all the monsters in the game and then at the end goes "Zelda Zelda Zelda!"? I vividly remember that commercial. Before I'd played the game I couldn't stop thinking fo the fact that a video game shared the first name of my grandmother(though she went by her middle name).
Speaking of other crappy nintendo related commercials, how about the one for the nintendo breakfast cereal "Nintendo, it's a cereal wow!" What a lame idea that cereal was, two different cereals in seperate bags in the same box.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe, Dave. I know I knew the word "octorok" before playing the game. But, I never saw that rap commercial before today. People are so obsessed with this unfunny ad that finding the other one online may be impossible. Every link has the rap ad. I know I'm not dreaming this, and I don't think I'm thinking of a Link to the Past ad.

I found an old Usenet post complaining about the original Zelda ad showing nothing of the game, but rather showing a lame live-action sequence. That's the closest I've come to a reference to "my" ad.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I remember the commercial you're referring to. I thought he was a nerdy looking guy, running around some house-type-thing, yelling "Zelda!" and "Tektites!" several times. Kind of a trippy commercial. Totally turned me off to the game, which I don't think I got around to playing until maybe a year later or so.

Have never seen it on the web.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ah ha ha, but c'mon, that rap commericial is so mind-bogglingly awful that it deserves to be preserved for all time ;).

It's the Legend of Zelda, and it's really rad!

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I like the line "You're parent’s help you hook it up". My parents never had a clue about hooking the NES up.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Jason! That's the one. Boy, is that bad. I don't know where I got the sword stuff from, but I think it may have been my mind trying to protect me from the reality of that commercial. "Which! Way! To. GO?"

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Speaking of hating Zelda commercials...I'm starting to think bad commercials are another tradition for the franchise, kinda like the gold cartridges / discs.

The Wind Waker ones are BAD. With that girl in a cloak? "In the land of HI-raule"? Ugh. I always think its one of those old skittles commercials - where all the skittles pour down from the sky and the Gray world suddenly becomes colorful.

Not to mention the "dramatic tension" at the end when the girl says "to save.............................................. ..........ME." Didn't see that one coming.

Sorry, but I saw the damn thing like 30 times tonight alone. :D

JQ

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
By the way, the Wind Waker site at zelda.com has been redesigned with a scrolling view of the island. It looks pretty good. You can get a screensaver with a similar view. If anyone downloads it, tell me if you hear sound. I have the sound turned on, but I'm not hearing anything.

http://www.zelda.com/gcn/index.jsp

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Does it have the full, constant sea sounds with the occasional bird like on the site? Also, does the scene scroll? Right now, I get a non-moving scene that has some wave action and some other animation, but no sound. It does go from night to day, and I found that by pushing the space bar, I could start it raining.

I'm going to install the latest version of Shockwave and see if that'll help. Maybe it won't work with Win98.

Edit: It didn't help. And, I need to make a correction about the space bar. Obviously, pushing the space bar will knock you out of the screensaver. What was happening was, I did a right mouse click to access the shockwave options, and it was locking me up. I had to reboot, but before I did, I could make it rain or go to night by pushing the space bar. I guess you can't do that normally.

Edit 2: It's Flash, not Shockwave. I think I'm up to date as far as Flash goes, but I'll give it a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks