What's new

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
A favorite but still would like to see an MGM technicolor musical with every release. At least we're getting 3 Musketeers which I've never seen. And maybe Saramouche won't be far behind.
Are these black and white bluray films as stunning as when the films opened? Honestly I've seen so many black and white prints in revival houses but only seen two films in them which looked like they were from opening day. Where the black and white and silvers and grays were really breathtaking and you understood why people were so transfixed by movie images.
I guess so many generations of dupes with no original negatives remaining.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A favorite but still would like to see an MGM technicolor musical with every release. At least we're getting 3 Musketeers which I've never seen. And maybe Saramouche won't be far behind.
Are these black and white bluray films as stunning as when the films opened? Honestly I've seen so many black and white prints in revival houses but only seen two films in them which looked like they were from opening day. Where the black and white and silvers and grays were really breathtaking and you understood why people were so transfixed by movie images.
I guess so many generations of dupes with no original negatives remaining.
In my long ago days of catching up with old movies in re-run houses - AKA repertory cinemas - I saw many of the old films from the thirties and forties. None of the prints I saw did the films justice. The Warner Archive Blu-ray discs of 42nd Street, The Women, Footlight Parade, San Francisco and the Thin Man series present the films far better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Preorder is now live, Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I did not have a happy relationship with my father but watching this film with him was one of our few happy moments. It came out when he was a small boy and they loved these films in Italy and especially By a Waterfall gave him a lot of pleasure. When I watch this film I kind of wish he were still around to watch it with me.
Oops By a Waterfall is Footlight Parade. But he liked them all. Every time 42nd Street was on he'd watch it. I think he saw that movie more than any other.
Oh boy and the Fred and Ginger films. Even Fellini said you don't know what those films meant to us.

Last edited:

Brian Ogilvie

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Ogilvie
Watched 42nd street last evening (which I enjoyed) and Gold Diggers of 1933 this morning. Wow. Gold Diggers was incredible.

Whereas 42nd Street had some fine songs and wonderful acting, I felt the plot was a little slow and didn’t connect with me all that much. But this film, wowza! I don’t say I adore a film very often, but this one held me tight. I honestly adore it.

From that wonderful opening to the incredible final, this is a perfect experience for me. The humour, the acting, those songs!! On the projector and with the sound cranked up nice and loud it was revelatory - I cannot express how thankful I am to be able to see these Warner Archive releases. They look so great. My favourite collection, bar none.

Just put in an order for Footlight Parade - hoping I enjoy it even half as much as Gold Diggers. Gonna give it a second viewing tonight - this time with my wife. I’m interested to hear her thoughts on it, she usually doesn’t go for films of this age, but I think this one she will enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herman_tj
Recent bookmarks