What's new

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
269873811_10160104709971563_199750168862453798_n.jpg

NEW 2022 1080pHD Master from best preservation elements!
GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933
BD50
B&W
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37 with SIDE MATTES
Audio Specs DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 MONO
97 Minutes
SPECIAL FEATURES: Featurette-“F.D.R.’s New Deal: Broadway Bound”, Vintage Warner Bros. Cartoons “I’ve Got to Sing a Torch Song” (HD), “Pettin’ in the Park” (HD), “We’re In the Money” (HD),

Vintage Warner Bros. Shorts “Rambling Round Radio Row”, “The 42nd St. Special” “Seasoned Greetings”
A Broadway producer has the talent, the tunes, the theater and everything else he needs to put on a show – except the dough. Not to worry, say Ginger Rogers and the other leggy chorines decked out in giant coins. Everyone will soon be singing “We’re in the Money.” Soon after 42nd Street, the brothers Warner again kicked the Depression blues out the stage door and into a back alley. Mervyn Le Roy directs the snappy non-musical portions involving three wonderfully silly love matches (including Dick Powell and Ruby Keeler). And Busby Berkeley brings his peerless magic to the production numbers, his camera swooping and gliding to showstoppers that are naughty (“Pettin’ in the Park”), neon-lit (“The Shadow Waltz”) and soul-searing (“Remember My Forgotten Man”). Solid cinema gold!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Great trivia from the recent TCM broadcast of the film. The unbilled woman who sings "Remember My Forgotten Man" is Anne Brown who two years later was the original "Bess" in the Broadway version of "Porgy and Bess"

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
No, TCM's Jacqueline Stewart correctly identified her as Etta Moten (Barnett). While she was identified with the role of Bess for her portrayal in the 1942 revival and subsequent tour, and supposedly inspired Gershwin to write the role with her in mind, Moten did not originate the role. That was Anne Brown, which might have been what confused Garysb.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Remember My Forgotten Man. What a way to end a musical (or any film), Joan Blondell is just so loveable in this film. I'm going to celebrate by looking at that great DVD full of Busby Berkeley musical numbers that was included in the Warner BB DVD box set (I've just found it after a bit of a search).

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
So glad to hear this is on its' way. This is my favourite of Berkeley's work at Warners. It really has everything, with so many talented Warner performers giving it their all, and Ruby Keeler.
It's also surprisingly feminist and modern-feeling considering this was made in 1933.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And Blondell cut quite a figure in the finale, what with that tight sweater and tight skirt!
It was always strange to me seeing actrii from TV Shows in their earlier careers Lily Munster (Yvonne DeCarlo) and Joan Blondell were quite fetching in their younger years.

I remember watching Here Come The Brides on the color TV and my Grandmother walked in and said "Joan Blondell is in this, she used to be a big movie star. And it looks like she's playing the same type of parts" Me: "Saloon-keeper?" Grandma "Sure Bryan 'Saloon-keeper!'";)
Blondell Then:
1640458499755.png

And "Back Then" ;)
1640458573017.png

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I remember watching Here Come The Brides on the color TV and my Grandmother walked in and said "Joan Blondell is in this, she used to be a big movie star. And it looks like she's playing the same type of parts" Me: "Saloon-keeper?" Grandma "Sure Bryan 'Saloon-keeper!'";)

I love every fucking thing about this story! :emoji_heart: :emoji_heart: :emoji_heart:

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is my favourite Busby Berkeley film, every number is fantastic, & to have the film start with We're In The Money in a film set during the depression is typical of its greatness. I have the other two BB Blu-rays & now only need Gold Diggers Of 1935, The Lullaby of Broadway sequences is a must have & a carved in stone classic.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
No, TCM's Jacqueline Stewart correctly identified her as Etta Moten (Barnett). While she was identified with the role of Bess for her portrayal in the 1942 revival and subsequent tour, and supposedly inspired Gershwin to write the role with her in mind, Moten did not originate the role. That was Anne Brown, which might have been what confused Garysb.
Thank you for explaining my error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boreli
Recent bookmarks