htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, let's hope for the best. Last time around, they gave us an interlaced SD instead of a progressive one. I don't want a Pattonized BD, just a good one!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I guess all those negative imperfections will really pop out clearly now.

I'm a Blu-ray fan and owner; I'm just wondering how good this particular film can look.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
That's a common misconception for older films, and since it's perpetrated so much it may have made studios shy away from these types of releases. and that's a shame.

More resolution is always a good thing!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Though Jim, I'm not referring to its "being an older film"; it's just that I'm pretty sure it's a fact that this particular negative is a mess. It's not the age of the movie per se, it's the condition of the elements. Do I recall this bit of historical information correctly, or am I mistaken?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its not even a negative (Toho let that fall apart years ago) thats a mess. Its an nth-gen master positive.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Can you say "bought"?

I have the DVD in my laptop drive as I type this; sometimes I just boot it up in the background to hear the music play.

I was practically raised on Godzilla movies (and Gamera, too). I'll gladly pick this up to have the best available (possible?) presentation of the film.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It seems that now the Raymond Burr version WILL NOT be a part of this release.:frowning: :angry: :thumbsdown:

It looks like I'll have to re-evaluate this possible purchase. Too bad! Hmmmm!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I prefer it that way. I've never liked the Americanized version, and there's less likelihood of them cramming two versions onto one disc and giving us low-bandwidth encodes.

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Toho recently remastered all the Godzilla films in HD and aired them on Japanese TV. I wonder how both versions will compare with each other.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Knowing all the problems and seeing the screencaps, I still can't resist. This is going on my Amazon wishlist.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is akin to the disaster that was GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (1939) on Blu. The standard DVD looks much, much sharper, probably because for the Blu, Classic Media blurred the image to disguise the grain. What an incredible disappointment! I admit, I bought it cheap at Best Buy, but something I will never watch again is expensive even at $12.99. Buyer, beware! This is a cheezy release.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I learned long ago to stay far away from any non-Japanese kaiju releases, due to the misguided nationalism/possible racism/extreme intellectual property paranoia/etc. that Toho and many other Japanese studios have made company policy in order to massacre foreign releases of their films. Their all-but-explicitly-stated goal is to prevent high-quality A/V, subtitles, and extras from being distributed outside Japan. Personally, I doubt that the quality of this release is really Classic Media's fault, but rather that Toho deliberately provided extremely poor quality source material. It's how they operate.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

I learned long ago to stay far away from any non-Japanese kaiju releases, due to the misguided nationalism/possible racism/extreme intellectual property paranoia/etc. that Toho and many other Japanese studios have made company policy in order to massacre foreign releases of their films. Their all-but-explicitly-stated goal is to prevent high-quality A/V, subtitles, and extras from being distributed outside Japan. Personally, I doubt that the quality of this release is really Classic Media's fault, but rather that Toho deliberately provided extremely poor quality source material. It's how they operate.
Well it seems Toho only gets tetchy in regards to their kaiju flicks (thank god Kurosawa's works seem to be doing well here), but yeah they do have this "you stabbed us so we'll stab you back" mentality that has long grown tiresome.

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

I can't agree with this. As a company that has dealt with MANY Japanese studios, we have nothing but respect and praise for the studios and the titles we have licensed. Toei, one of the largest studios in japan, has been absolutely amazing with their help and support to let us put out the best quality releases. Our releases of HORRORS OF MALFORMED MEN (which isn't even out in a Japanese edition, only in the USA), SNAKE WOMAN'S CURSE, our three POISONOUS SEDUCTRESS titles and even our two WANDERING GINZA titles all had beautiful 35mm film materials. New low-contrast 35mm materials were graciously made for us and sent from Japan. We couldn't have been happier and they never held anything back, or gave us any problems whatsoever.

Perhaps, with what you are saying, Toho is an exception to the rule... but Toei certainly doesn't fall into that catagory.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
^What? The same Toei who constantly distributes low quality prints of their anime properties to foreign distributors? The Toei that sits on certain properties (IE."Battle Royale") because of a percieved "oversensitive climate"? That Toei?

Yeah they're not as bad as Toho. They're WORSE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks