1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Gojira/Godzilla, King of the Monsters...questions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Sparks, Sep 1, 2006.

1. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    I know that there's a thread on this new release, but I wanted to bring up some different questions in regard to this new release.

I have a Mit 65" RPTV 16x9 and am using a Panny RP-82 and a Toshiba HD A1 through component cables.

I have the 1998 Simitar Version of "GKOTM" and the new release. I played them today and, guess what, they used the same source!

A couple of notes, the Simitar will upscale to 1080i thru component on the HD A1 and it looks fantastic. The length of the picture measuring left to right is 46". There is more picture info on the left and right side of Simitars than on "G/GKOTM." By the way, I would have to say that the Simitar has a better looking print. Maybe it's because it's being upscaled to 1080i and I can't do the other because I'm using component???

"G/GKOTM" on the RP-82 measures 42" across, odd, huh?

Now, here's the deal, (where the waters starts to rise up and form a wave and just before the title) if you pause at the 14 second mark (on the HD A1 and for some reason, there is a difference in the time sequence between the two players) and the 15 sec mark on the RP-82, you'll see spots, stains, blemishes and bright pin spots on the film...both in the identical places. Also, at the 5:38 mark, where the ship is burning on the ocean, 2 horzional scratches are in the exact same place on both and it's like that all throughout the film!

I would have to say that they used the same source or are all prints of "GKOTM" taken from one source?

So, how can 2 different companies have films that are identical? Also, they have the exact running time of 1:18:50. The "G/GKOTM" adds 1:31 for the closing credits not seen since 1956.

2. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I do know that the closing credits are from a print supplied to Classic Media by Ed Godziszewski (he's one of the commentators on Gojira, along with Steve Ryfle).

Re: the print(s) used for KotM - I'm a tad confused. you say at first "the Simitar has a better looking print", but then, "I would have to say they used the same source". Which is it?

The one guy who might be able to answer your questions is Mr. Godziszewski. He's posts on The Classic Horror Forum in the "Japanese Giants" section:

http://p075.ezboard.com/fmonsterkidc...rrorforumfrm49

3. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    Re: the print(s) used for KotM - I'm a tad confused. you say at first "the Simitar has a better looking print", but then, "I would have to say they used the same source". Which is it?

"By the way, I would have to say that the Simitar has a better looking print. Maybe it's because it's being upscaled to 1080i and I can't do the other because I'm using component???"

Thanks for the info on where to contact Mr. Godziszewski! Can't wait to hear what he says.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Don't feel confused because I also have both versions and can say the Simitar is better. It does look in places to have the same source but possibly the processing was different? I also noted water stains and damages at scene changes on the new version not noticed on Simitar. I think the new version may be another generation older from a print used by Simitar or something similar?

Eric