What's new

Going with the Samsung BDP-1000 (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Within the next week I'll be adding this player to my rack, right next to my HD-A1.

Why the Samsung? I look at it this way, buy the Sammy now and save $500 or more, use it for a year or longer and then when the Sony / Panny 2nd or 3rd gen players come out, use the money I saved now to buy one of those. There's just too many variables between all the Blu-ray players currently and I don't see the value in spending $1k or more on a first gen player.

So, any tips from those who own this player to help with set-up?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's a very easy player to setup, just follow the directions. This player has cause me a lot less trouble than my HD DVD player.

Crawdaddy

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good to hear. I am unable to burn the firmware update, any idea if Samsung mails out the disks like Toshiba does?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
You can call 1 800 SAMSUNG and they will mail you out a disc. What issues are you having burning the disc?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No issues, I just don't have the software to burn it. My buddy was supposed to get me the Nero software and has yet to do it.

Thanks for the # Dave. I'll call Monday.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I've been following the Driftwood for some time. I am sure you will keep us up to date on this one.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Oh, yes sir Mr. Neil I will. I'm hoping to get the player mid week. Just can't seem to find a decent HDMI switcher so I'll have to plug in play both machines depending on which format I want to watch until I can get one.

Target's got it for $699 while BB is $799. It's price match time, +10% plus I'll get some rewardzone dollars. I'd rather spend a bit more and buy local with an item like this.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ron, in case you didn't know, the firmware upgrade for the Sammy locks region coding into place for the BD discs. If you have it unupdated, you can watch BD discs from any region still. Don't know if it will make a difference to you!

:)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus

I also do not have the software for image burn. I downloaded the firmware update file from the Samsung site and took the file to local computer store where they did the burn to disc for $5 while I waited. It took less than 10 minutes. I found this method very efficient.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Oh man, I may have been able to save you $5, with the free ISO burning program I linked to in post #6.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nope, it doesn't. I don't own anything other then R1 disks and don't ever plan to buy any. I'd rather have the player run at it's best for my R1's.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the region coding and apparently it only affects you if you have a non U.S. player, since I have no problems playing the Region B UK discs of The Exorcism of Emily Rose & Hostel. The improvements in the FW upgrades (DTS fixes, PQ upgrades, boot times) are a must have now and in the future.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The Sammy should be here in 3-5 days, ordered it today through Amazon, total to my doorstep, $569.99.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
That Amazon deal is fantastic! I ordered one today too, with next-day shipping (I want to play with it over the long weekend, and was willing to pay a little extra for my impatience).

Is there any chance that these Samsungs already have the correct firmware right out of the box? How can you tell if you need to upgrade?

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Depending on the build date, some of the firmware fixes will be on there already (e.g. August builds had the 4:3 fix and moving dots icon, but not the other stuff), but most likely you will not have the most recent firmware (12/17). You can check your FW status by opening the tray and pressing the INFO button.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Cool Steve.

It was an additional $45 for shipping for me if I wanted next day so I went with the free 3-5 day deal. Being that I'm waiting on a pair of HDMI cables and a female-to-female adaptor I'm not in a big hurry. Plus, I need to prep my A/V rack for it. I'm also waiting on an AVS memeber who's sending me the firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks