Going with seperates...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArthurJ, Mar 12, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I have decided to go with seperates...I am doing the following setup...

Paradigm CC
    Paradigm Studio 60
    Paradigm Studio 20

I want an amp that is VERY musical, yet will do awsome with movies...I would like around 150 watts for the front L/R and 100 for the rest (or 150 all around) I was at the local HT shop and I demoed the 60's on Anthem seperates...is it just me or does it make the 60's sound harsh? midrange and midbass sounded good, maybe it was just me...does anthem make good seperates? any other companies I should look into? Im only hoping to spend $1200 total...thanks!

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Arthur, Paradigm makes GREAT seperates...but in my experience, the amps need careful matching. The AVM-20 is a first class processor and the MCA line are fine amps...but not with metal dome tweeters. I had a Paradigm reference setup with an Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-5 amp. Great, almost unstoppable setup for movies, but for music I felt I could do a little better. The Anthem amps are great value and solid performers, if you are driving a soft dome tweeter, but for Paradigms, I would look into something that rolls off the top end ever so slightly, like B&K, Rotel or Parasound. I think these would mate better with Paradigm speakers.

I have heard Anthem amps drive Linn speakers as well as JM Labs and the sound was wonderful, so it depends on the synergy of the system IMO.

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Whats anthems website?

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

6. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

7. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I have the studio 100's, CC, 20's with MCA-5 & AVM-20. I enjoy the detail in the top end but also found it a bit bright. I tamed this quite nicely with Cat 5 DIY cables as per the Jon Risch 27/9 recipe. Although the MCA-5 may not be the last word in "musicality", with the addition of these speaker cables, it is an excellent compromise until I can spend a whole lot more on an amp.

P.S. Room treatment cannot be overlooked either.

Wayne

8. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

The max I could spend is $2000...but thats extreme max. I dont know, I demoed the 60's on the anthem listening to "simple man" by "lynyrd skynyrd...It was quite bright and unpleasent. The midbass and midrange was NICE but it was just a tad bright. It was most likely the amp...I will look into rotel and the others you listed. Thanks!