Going with Axiom speakers...but wich set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_Lunar, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I've been looking to buy Axiom speakers for some time, and I tought I made up my mind about my configuration. But now I am not sure anymore.

My first tought was to got with the top of the line:

front: M22ti
    center: VP150
    surr.: QS8

now this might be overkill for a few reasons :
    1-I got quite a small room(15X12X8)
    2-I got a modest receiver(Kenwood VR-410 5X100W) that is quite good, but I doubt it will be able to drive those beast(that a total of 11 5.5 inch woofer!)
    3-my receiver said on the back that it drive speaker from 8-16 oms, but the VP150 and QS8 are 6 oms... is that a problem?

now I can get a good deal at a local shop but I am limited to this :

front: M40ti
    center: VP100
    surround: QS4 or QS8

maybe this will be better for my receiver and it might be enough for my small room ? I will take the QS4 if 6 oms is not good for my VR410, if not I might go with the bigger QS8 but will it be outbalanced vs the front and center?

well I know I got a lot of questions but any help will be appreciated!

2. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

I was going for a similair set up with the Axioms until I got talked into the Paradigm's . Since I didn't hear the Axioms I can't comment on thier sound, but the Paradigm's rock.

3. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Axiom has a speaker picker applet where yoiu enter in your room dimensions. I would try that.

4. Douglas H.

Douglas H. Auditioning

I have M22ti, VP150, QS4 surrounds, Hsu VTF-2 driven by Denon AVR-1803. Very pleased with sound. Auditioned VP100 center and sent it back in favor of the VP150 - better soundstage noted with the VP150 to my ears. I don't have a huge room, either, but sound is not overwhelming by any stretch. Also note that if you get the M22's, you will definitely need a sub to fill out the bottom end of the sound, and probably would also with the M40s.

5. Phil_Lunar

6. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

Before I purchased my Axioms (I own M22s and VP-150, and will be purchasing QS4 or QS8 to replace my current surrounds), I did a lot of reading on the Axiom message boards (and still do so), and what I found is that if you already have a sub, many people would tell you to go with the M22's rather than the M40's. Keep in mind that even though the M40 is a tower and the M22 is a bookshelf, the M40 has one 6.5" woofer, while the M22 has two 5.25" woofers. So, generally, the M22 provides a more accurate, detailed sound, while the M40 would be a bit more laid back in sound. Since you would have a sub to provide the low end, I would go for the M22. I am continuously amazed at the performance of the M22's. I would also suggest going with the VP-150 over the VP-100. By all accounts, it is a better speaker, and again, I love it.

7. Phil_Lunar

8. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I was left with almost the exact descision as you when it came to choosing my speakers. My room measures 15x12 also, I was planning on going with M40's, QS8's, and a VP150. Well...after a lot of thinking I emailed Axiom to see what there opinion was on this setup in my size of room. They suggested that my room would probably be better suited for M22's in place of the M40's, and QS4's instead of the QS8's.

Well, I was very surprised when they suggested less expensive speakers than I was planning on buying! So, with there advice, I decided to go with the M22's and QS4's. I am very happy with the setup and wouldn't change a thing.

Chad

9. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Very Happy with my M40 VP100 QS4, SVS 2531pci.

10. Phil_Lunar

thanks for all your advice!

I just got one more concern....

what about the 6 ohms speakers with my 8-16 ohms receiver?

11. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Don't be concerned with the Ohms issue. You speaker selection given the dimensions of the room are fine. I went with the M-60 and the Q-8. These are fine speakers but my room is much larger. I will say that the subs are more musically inclined and ok for H/T. You cann't go wrong with the guarantee either. Customer service is top notch and willing to answer any questions as well. Good luck.