Going with AE700, but need help with screen for my particular room characteristics...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd smith, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Have decided to go with an 80" diagonal screen for my AE700. I will be ceiling mounting this projector at around 14' from the screen. My room is fully enclosed 12x17 with one tiny (1.5ft x2ft)window that is blacked out with curtains. The top part of the screen will most likely be over part of this window a little bit , but that should not be a problem If window is blacked out, correct? It is literaly pitch black in there during the day except around the edges of the window which I can take care of.

The walls and door of my theater are a very dark deep Navy blue, but the ceiling is white. the carpet is a mild blue color.

What should I be looking for in a screen for the AE700 with my particular room charicteristics? I have read that a light silver or grey screen to help with the blacks. Would this be good for my particular room and 80" diagonal screen needs? Silverstar? Need some advice. Also all my seats are at a 12' viewing distance from the screen.

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    My question is why so small of a screen? It just seem to me to be like driving a Farrari and not going past 2nd gear.

I have the Panny 500 and am running a 124" 9ft wide screen in a 12x24ft room and would not even consider going down to below 100".

A 80" 16:9 screen is tiny for front projection!

Wes

3. Todd smith

Well I have some space limitations and I am only in a 17'long room. I have a heat duct that is at 76" high which prevents me from going to big on the screen. 80" will be huge to me going from a 52" rptv dont you think?

4. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Can't go wrong with the 700, I love mine. I made my own screen using blackout cloth stretched over a pine frame.
    Looks fantastic and my wallet is thanking me.

5. Todd smith

You guys dont happen to have an xbox hooked up to your 700 do you? If so how does it look and perform with this projector?

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    With 78" hight to work with you should be able to go with a 7 or 8' wide screen no problem.

You could install your 700 16' back and put up a 8' screen which is only 54" high by 96" wide (110" dia). I guarantee you will be glad you went bigger! LaMarcus on here has the 500 panny any is wanting to go from 7 to 8', I sure love my 9' 124" dia panny 500 picture.

Just a thought!

Wes

7. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Sorry Todd, I'm not a gamer. For this type of info, you should check out the avs forum. There's a ton of info on this particular projector. Get your hip waders on though, cause there's a lot of crap too.[​IMG]

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Todd:

Give David Giles a shout over at Carada Projection screens. He will get you fixed up with the best screen for your money and the right one for your room. They are great to work with and make some fantastic screens.

Parker

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When you get the projector and before you get the screen, throw up an image on the front wall to get some sense as to what you can get. You are going to ceiling mount I assume?

10. Todd smith

Well If I go with an 85" or bigger screen I dont have to ceiling mount. At that point I could either ceiling mount or put the projector on a shelf which is already up in the back of my room. Any advantage to ceiling mounting as oposed to sitting the projector on a shelf? The good thing about putting it on the shelf is that I will have an outlet near by. If I ceiling mount I will either have to run an extension to the projector or try to install an outlet which would most likely be a pain. What is the smallest size screen I could go with having the AE700 projector 17.5 feet from the screen?

11. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

There is no advantage to ceiling mounting the 700.
    Sounds like the shelf would be the easiest way to set up.
    The smallest screen size you could get at 17.5' is around 85".
    But it's best to stay away from the extreme ends of the zoom spectrum. I would aim for at least a 100" screen if you can fit it.
    You should be able to, the top of my 110" screen is 80" off the floor. I find this to be the perfect height.

12. Todd smith

How do Carada screens compare to Da-lite in general?

13. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Todd:

I saw the Carada and Da-lite side by side and the Carada had a better over all picture to my eyes. Both had DVD's being played from the Infocus 7205 projector. Like I mentioned earlier give David a call and he can give you recommendations based on your room size, the type of projector you are planning to use with it and other variables like ambient light, etc. He will not over sell you a projection screen by just going with the high dollar model. He will make recommendations based on need and give you your best options.

One of the nice things about the Carada screen is that they come with a wide border so you can over shoot the picture a bit on to the board and it will help frame your picture better. I know you will be happy with the purchase.

Like Neil suggested though. First I would install the projector where you want it, say on your shelf towards the back of the room. Then look at the image on a bare wall and see what size you end up liking for your room. It will give you a rough idea what size screen to go with.

Parker