Going WiFi with eMac Questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gui A, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm getting ready to set up a network for a friend who's got a PC, X-Box and an eMac 700...I'm not too sure on the eMac's specs, but it's got a DVD reader, so I'm guessing it's got 10.1 or later.

Do I need to buy an Airport adapter card for the eMac, or can I just get the Airport card by itself?

Also, I'm assuming I can get pretty much any wireless B router?
    Any recommendations for PC/XBOX/MAC compatibility? The XBox will likely be connected with a wireless bridge.

Is this the best way to go about this? or should I try something different (ie. bridge for the emac too)

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Apr 11, 1999
    From what I can tell, the eMac does not require the Airport Card Adapter. Apple currently sells the Airport Extreme Card, which is 802.11g. Looks like the original eMac 700 uses the non-Extreme, plain old Airport Card, and they're different. They don't make 'em anymore, but it looks like there are a few still around. They should be compatible with "most" wireless access points.

Frankly, it might be simpler just to use another bridge. If you can get one working for the X-Box, then another should work too, as long as there's no goofiness with having more than one. The downside is that it probably requires its own power supply.

Look here too. Going through their Card Chooser, they also suggest a bridge, or a USB adapter. The USB might be even better, because it does not require its own power. Might be cheaper, too. May not work with 10.1, though.