Going Upriver

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ChrisMatson, Oct 3, 2004.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I saw Going Upriver: The Long Journey of John Kerry last night and recommend it highly.
    The film focuses on the experiences of soldiers in Vietnam and their experiences after the war in the peace movement.
    Using mostly archival footage with interviews spliced in to expand and explain the events of the day, one comes to appreciate the veterans' efforts.

This movie is about more than one man.
    The movie offers a view into the turbulent and divisive times that defined a generation.
    The echoes of that time ring loudly today with emotions running high on all sides.
    Suggested viewing.

Rotten Tomatoes Reviews:
    Reviews counted: 57
    Fresh: 49
    Rotten: 8

Let us please keep discussion focused on the movie and the history it portrays rather than politics.

2. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

3. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

I also higly recommend this film - I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Very much captured the tenor of the time. It is especially cogent in describing the path of the Viet Nam Vets Against The War.

L. Anton, sorry you get annoyed by details like "Blowin' In The Wind" - but, dear, that IS what they (Peter Paul & Mary)sang, and the song had emotion resonance and enforced a strong feeling of sokidarity for the folks there at the time...of which I was one. I lived through this time, it brought back sharp pangs of memory - friends & relatives lost or wonded, lives changed, the terrible divisions in our country.

Regardless of your opinion of Kerry, whether you're an old liberal or a neocon, this film is worth seeing. Dare I say it - it has some lessons for our time.

The audience I saw it with (on a week night) consisted of boomers, twenty somethings and teens (dragged along by boomer parents, maybe 25 people total). The documentary elicited spontaneous applause at the end.

When it comes out on DVD, this would make a great doc triple feature with The Crimes of Henry Kissinger and The Fog of War.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Actually Claire, I far preferred Bob Dylan. I always thought that Peter, Paul and Mary had a bit too sweet a sound for this song.

I agree completely as to the impact of the song at the time. This was as much a part of the 60s peace and protest movement as is rap to inner city culture today. How much one likes either form of music is beside the point when it comes to chronicling the times.

5. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

6. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Just for the record, I didn't then, and don't now, care for Peter Paul & Mary. [​IMG]

But they were ubiquitous at the time. And they were at the rally.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It seems to me that these two things are a bit contradictory. If the music is meant to reflect the times , it should not necessarily be transcendent. Neither Martha and the Vandellas nor John Lennon wrote lyrics that were political in nature (at least frm the anti-war perspective) and widely used by the protest movement at the time.

Therefore, I contend that the inclusion of ‘Blowing in the Wind’ is almost necessary in order to make the point.

Then again, as you point out, ‘I was there’.