Going to XM's Performance Theater

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Bill-DC, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Auditioning

Got this little nugget in my e-mail after I replied on Nils's web site. First thirty who replied got to go I'm a long time fan of Nils but I am not sure which has me more fired up, seeing Nils live with thirty other people or the XM studios. I'll post back tomorrow night or Friday. Nils was on The Loft Channel 50 in early 2004.

CONGRATULATIONS!

YOU have been selected for the audience at XM Satellite Radio's Performance Theater in Washington, DC for a special performance from NILS LOFGREN Thursday, February 24th.

LOGISTICS:
    When: Thursday, February 24
    2:00 pm - 3:30 pm Performance

Timing:
    Please arrive at the XM lobby by 1:15 - 1:30 pm at the latest. We ask everyone to be at XM at least 45 minutes before the performance for processing, which includes a security check and signing a waiver to allow us to use your voice and image in a later broadcast. Please understand that there often are instances when the performance does not start on time.

The session is expected to take approximately one hour to 90 minutes. There is no photography, recording equipment, food or drink allowed in the studio. We ask that you do not bring any other bags or packages with you.

Security:
    When you get to XM, enter the front of the building and there will be someone there to greet you starting at 1:30 pm. Please do not arrive earlier. For security purposes, XM will only admit people who have been confirmed by us and are on the guest list. Do not bring any guests or
    friends who have not been confirmed in advance - they will not be admitted. Also, please bring a valid driver's license for identification.

Everyone will pass through a metal detector to ensure there are no hidden recording devices. We are very serious about protecting artists and their performances from theft.

1500 Eckington Place, Northeast
    Washington, DC 20002

XM is located at the intersection of Florida and New York Avenues in Northeast, Washington, DC. There is plenty of on-street parking available in front of our building, in front of the Fedex building across the street and in the neighborhood adjoining our headquarters.

Metro:
    There is a shuttle from Union Station to XM that picks up and drops off on the west side of the station, in front of the Bureau of Labor Statistics on First Street, NE just across the street from the Metro Station entrance. The
    shuttle has an XM logo on its door. It departs Union Station at approximately :15 and :45 minutes past each hour. You are welcome to use this transportation. If you choose to walk from Union Station, it is a fifteen minute walk up First Street, NE.

A new Metro station has opened across the street from XM, the New York Avenue/Florida Avenue/Gallaudet University Station. It is approximately 10 minutes by foot.

Canceling:
    If for any reason you find that you will be unable to attend the performance at any point prior, please contact me as soon as possible at 202.380.4020. There is a long waiting list for the show and we want to make sure we are fair to all of those who are interested in attending. Also, as you can imagine, it is not considerate to the artist to have them perform to empty seats.

Broadcast:
    The session is being taped for broadcast on XM.

Thanks

XM Satellite Radio Inc.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Bill,

Congrats.

Give us a full report.

3. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Auditioning

Yesterday at XM radio was fantastic. Thought I'd share the experience---Bill

Nils Lofgren
    February 24, 2005
    XM Satellite Radio Performance Theater
    Washington, DC

28 years ago in the spring of 1977 I saw Nils Lofgren perform for the first time. I was in ninth grade, age fifteen and the show was at Georgetown University’s
    McDonough Gym. A bunch of us from the Wood Acres neighborhood in Bethesda MD either hitch hiked or took a bus to the show. Now I don’t remember a whole lot about that show as one, it was 28 years ago and two, well I won’t go into what else I was enjoying that night. I do remember Nils’s energy that night and how awesome it was being at my first concert.

Over the years as I grew up, I would catch Nils whenever I could. I’ve seen him at various clubs in the DC metro area. Places that no longer exist like the Psyche Delly in Bethesda, the Bayou in Georgetown. Current venues like
    The Birchmere. Outside venues like a park in Frederick MD whose name escapes me and on G Street near MCI Center. Of course I’ve seen him numerous times over the years with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

To this day, I still get pumped up whenever Nils is in concert. Perhaps it is because his music has always gotten me through good and bad, happy and sad times in my life. Maybe it is his energy and devotion while he is on
    stage. Or it could be that he is one of the most fan friendly people out there, always graciously signing autographs and chatting with fans after his shows.

I thought I’ve seen it all until yesterday.

Thirty Nils Lofgren fans were invited to XM Satellite Radio’s Performance Theater for a recording session that will be broadcast later on XM. After a long wait, while the technicians got the theater ready, XM Radio’s Mike Marrone greeted us. Mike is Program Director of XM’s acoustic music channel, The Loft.

A little over a year ago, Nils sat down with Mike and discussed his career and played in studio. This was one of the best interview sessions with Nils I’ve had the pleasure of hearing. Mike gave us a little tour of the XM studios, telling us that Bob Dylan's two favorite stations were Hank's Place, a station that plays a lot of country music and Bluesville. Someone asked Mike if The Loft was one of Dylan's favorites and he said not really because Mike played a lot of Dylan.

He also told us this wouldn’t be like a club setting, that sometimes in the middle of the song, Nils could stop and make adjustments and start the song over. The session would be a lot like the "Authorized Bootleg" album we listened to growing up.

We were seated and Nils arrived to a warm applause and settled down. While warming up we were treated to a few riffs of "Rusty Gun", a great song from his days as a member of Grin.

Then the show started. I’ll post the set list after this note. Nils played a lot of the old classic tunes we know and love. He played a couple Bruce Springsteen songs, including “If I Should Fall Behind”, a personal favorite of mine. He also gave us a new song called “In Your Hands” who he wrote for his wife Amy when, according to Nils, he forgot to get Amy a Christmas present, so he wrote a song
    for her. During the show, we also got a treat in his brother Tom Lofgren and Buck Brown joined in.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience and we got to see a lot of behind the scenes technical work that went on to produce this show. To be fifteen feet away and see a musical icon like Nils work his guitar is indescribable.

After the show Nils came out and chatted with us, posed for pictures and yours truly was able to get a set list signed by Nils. While he was signing, I told him that his version of “All I Have To Do Is Dream” off Breakaway Angel was outstanding and that my wife and I used this song for our first dance at our wedding. Nils was appreciative of that and he was very gracious to us all, thanking us for coming out and supporting him.

Part of me wants to see him live at The Birchmere this weekend. Another part of me says I will not top yesterday’s experience.

The set list:
    Gun and Run
    Damaged Goods
    You
    If I Should Fall Behind
    Wonderland
    In Your Hands
    Like Rain
    Keith Don’t Go
    Goin’ Back
    Irish Angel
    The Sun Hasn’t Set On This Boy Yet
    Moon Tears
    First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
    Because The Night
    No Mercy
    I Came To Dance
    Shine Silently

4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Bill,

Thanks for posting this.

Great reading.

Glad he and XM treated you so well.

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Auditioning

I felt bad for the lady who had to keep track of us as a bunch of us kept drifting away of where we were supposed to be after we were told to wait until they finished the sound check. I'm wandering over to the baseball area listening to Phil Wood, others were straying all over the place. There are 85 studios there. It's a really nice building. We were also told to turn off all cell phones. Don Henley got ticked off (and rightly so) when one went off when he was performing.

The walls there are decorated with large pictures of varios music greats. It's really a neat place. I don't think they offer tours. I did see Bob Edwards walking around but didn't get a chance to say hello. Got there at 1:00, walked out around 5:00 and a shuttle took people to Union Station Metro where I went back to work before heading home. I'm still on a high from the experience. Very cool seeing the behind the scenes stuff. Wish everyone could get this chance.

Bill

6. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Bill, that sounds like an unforgettable day. Congratulations!

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Your post inspired me to dig out my '88 Ryko reissue of his '75 self titled album (with "Keith Don't Go").

I had not played this in years, but the truly amazing part is that not only are the songs great, but the sound quality puts most new releases to shame.

I love re-discovering old gems in my collection. Thanks for the post that led to this re-discovery.

If I might offer a suggestion?

Post your concert review (or at least a link to this thread) over at the HTF Music Forum.

That may not be kosher as far as forum rules, but I bet that you could get a pretty good thread going just talking about Nils. Not sure how many Music Forum regulars also frequent the Sat Radio forum, so many will have missed your great review.

Cheers!

BGL