Going to Vancouver next week

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Khoa Tran, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Gonna be spending a few days there, what is there to do? Which hotel should i stay at? My family will be driving so we won't have any transportation issues. For you guys up there, hows the weather? what do you suggest i bring for clothing? Thanks in advance!

2. Khoa Tran

bump

3. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Khoa,

When you say "my family", what do you mean? Do you have kids? If so, what age? How many people are you?

I took my family (wife and 2 kids, age 6 & 9) to Vancouver for Spring Break this year, and we loved it! We decided to try 2 different hotels that had been recommended, just for fun. They were the Sheraton Wall Centre and the Century Plaza Hotel and Suites.

Since we had kids, we were looking for hotels with indoor pools and fairly close walking distance to at least some stuff.

The Century Plaza is in the eastside, just a couple of blocks from Stanley Park, and in the middle of an area with lots of good restaurants. The rooms were much bigger than the Sheraton (one-bedroom suite), and were nice, but maybe just a little older looking. It also had a kitchenette area.

The Sheraton is more downtown, closer to Robson St. (where the famous shopping is, and many places to eat), and is a very nice hotel. The rooms are much smaller (really too small for a family of 4, even with 2 queen beds), but nice, and the wall of your room is all glass, floor-to-ceiling, looking out onto downtown Vancouver.

My wife and I decided that if we go again, we would pick the Century Plaza if we took the kids, because of more space to spread out, and the Sheraton if we go as a couple, because it is a little nicer, with the incredible view.

My friend who recommended the Sheraton also just recently went and stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront. He said it was a really nice hotel, but a little too far from most of the action (at least restaurant wise).

The Pacific Palisades is another one that we almost stayed it, it looks very nice, and has a good location on Robson St.

None of these hotels are really super-budget, however, so if you looking more for Holiday-Inn Express type prices, these are not it.

Here are some of the things we did (note - most are kid-oriented, but I had fun at all of them, too):

1) Capilano Suspension Bridge - really cool.
    2) Vancouver Aqaurium
    3) Harbor Cruise
    4) Science Center
    5) Walking around the perimeter of Stanley Park, people watching, etc. Beaches weren't really in season when we went, but should be now.
    6) Shopping on Robson St.
    7) We wanted to go to the top of some mountain just north of Vancouver where supposedly they have really fun lumberjack shows, but it wasn't in season when we went.

I hope this helps a little.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Weather has been fairly decent, 20-25 degrees CELSIUS, some clouds the past few days, a bit of wind, but today its nothin but clear blue skies.

Clothing just wear something comfortable for warm weather (not HOT), i'd say...

5. Khoa Tran

No kids, all adults but no night life either =) Grandma coming...hehe thanks guys

6. Khoa Tran

I don't know how i'm going to get around to all these things, we'll probably be driving around lost half the time, is there a map of all the popular places to visit?
    We'll probably stay at the sheraton because as Scott said it's closer to everything....i'm also wondering where the chinatown is, i heard it supposedly very large....=P

7. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

There is more than one Sheraton. To say the Fairmont WF is out of the way would depend on what you call out of the way.
    The Tourism center just happens to be right next door.
    As for getting around....I think an all-day transit pass costs $7. It will get you around just fine for the most part. On other days you'll want to rent a car to go to Whistler, Deep Cove, Grouse Mtn., Mt Seymour, Cypress Mtn., Horseshoe Bay, perhaps a trip out to White Rock.
    There's two Imax theatres, Robson St., Granville Island, New Westminster Quay, and Lonsdale Quay Markets, and Gastown.
    Vancouver Museum, Museum of Anthropology at UBC, Science World, Art Gallery, Stanley Park and the Aquarium there.
    You mentioned Chinatown...easy walk from downtown, but through a pretty rough area to get there. Take the bus and have your eyes opened.
    The weather has been as good as it ever gets so far this summer. There are a lot of things to do.