What's new

Going to the Moon in 2025? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I ran across this article here: https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ys-blue-origin-legal-tactics-partly-to-blame/

It starts out being about a Blue Origins law suit that delayed things for 7 months. Then it goes on to say we are apparently developing two systems to go to the moon and will use them both, while SpaceX’s more economical version could do it alone and save a lot of bucks. Am I reading this right? Does the article have it right?
Nominally for Artemis III, NASA astronauts will launch in Orion atop a Space Launch System rocket. Then they will rendezvous with Starship in lunar orbit, which will take astronauts down to the Moon's surface for a few days and then back to lunar orbit. There, the crew will scramble back into Orion and return to Earth. Without Starship, there are no humans on the Moon.

Intriguingly, SpaceX is actually building Starship to launch from the surface of the Earth, be refueled in low Earth orbit, and then fly to the Moon or Mars before returning to Earth. Nelson was asked about potentially substituting SpaceX's Starship for Orion and the Space Launch System—theoretically Starship is reusable compared to the expendable SLS rocket, capable of a far higher flight rate, and orders of magnitude less expensive.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought this was going to be about a trip you were taking to the moon in 2025 and I was going to ask you to post some photos and video here when you got back.
While I’d love that, there’s this little thing of lacking the education and training and I wouldn’t pass the physical. If I were to go I’d bring you back a moon rock or would you prefer dirt? ;) I’m a little surprised there’s no interest in this. The ol’ USofA is mounting a mission to the moon that is grossly duplicating functions.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
While I’d love that, there’s this little thing of lacking the education and training and I wouldn’t pass the physical. If I were to go I’d bring you back a moon rock or would you prefer dirt? ;) I’m a little surprised there’s no interest in this. The ol’ USofA is mounting a mission to the moon that is grossly duplicating functions.

Man, if they can go and shoot William Shatner into space, why not you Johnny? I'd love a moon rock.

I think we should go back to the moon and I am interested but I think the big issue is Stanley Kubrick is no longer with us so how will they get back to the moon without him? Maybe the moon set is still in one of his garages?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Man, if they can go and shoot William Shatner into space, why not you Johnny? I'd love a moon rock.

I think we should go back to the moon and I am interested but I think the big issue is Stanley Kubrick is no longer with us so how will they get back to the moon without him? Maybe the moon set is still in one of his garages?
Ok, we just need to find enough people who want us to leave the planet and make a donation. Maybe Kickstarter. For $50 we leave, for $100 donation (enough of them) we promise not to come back. :lol:

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ok, we just need to find enough people who want us to leave the planet and make a donation. Maybe Kickstarter. For $50 we leave, for $100 donation (enough of them) we promise not to come back. :lol:

Damn, this could work for me as well. I think there are literally thousands of people that would like to see me shot into space!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

There is not much interest because people have bigger things to think about than a fantasy mission to the moon that won't be by 2025 even if it does eventually happen.

The only way this happens is if it is learned that the Chinese are going there, resulting in a reprise of the space race between the USA and the USSR with China as a substitute.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There is not much interest because people have bigger things to think about than a fantasy mission to the moon that won't be by 2025 even if it does eventually happen.

The only way this happens is if it is learned that the Chinese are going there, resulting in a reprise of the space race between the USA and the USSR with China as a substitute.

I don't know, I think a lot more people are interested in going to the moon now that Amazon delivers there.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Face mars.jpg

This guy has supposedly been ordering up a storm. I guess they have never had free two day delivery in space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonyrenner54
Recent bookmarks