What's new

Going to start building my tempest table, want to check numbers with you guys (1 Viewer)

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
For my biggest DIY project to date, I am wanting to make a Tempest coffee table. I plotted it in winISD and was going for as flat a responce curve down to 20Hz as I could manage. The way I have it now, I get my 3dB drop right at 20Hz. The box dimensions(internal) are 24"x16"x41" taking into account driver displacement, bracing displacemetn and port displacement I get an 8.712 cuft box (246.71L for you metric dudes).

Does this design look to be a good plan? I work with a carpenter and since we have a free day tomorrow, I was thinking of just knocking it out. I hope that I can get some input quickly, but if not that is fine. I will report my results blindly, since as far as I can tell I have done the design part correct.

Also, I know that room interactions will be the biggest concern when it is done, that is why I went with as flat a curve as I could. I figure at some point I will get a BFD and try and kill any annoying peaks if possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you're going with a Tempest driver, you owe it to yourself to download the LspCAD from the Adire Audio website and use that for modelling the response (given the enclosure size, driver, porting you'll be using).

WinISD is okay for quick-n-dirty ballpark tuning (port lengths), but if you really want something more sophisticated (and free!), the LspCAD is the way to go for simulating different alignments with the Tempest driver.

http://www.adireaudio.com/miscellaneous/software.htm

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advise on LspCAD. Got it now and am going to plug my numbers into it and see what it shows.

Tuning freq is 20hz

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
You should download the lspcad version from the adire website. You can check out the recommended designs or test the Tempest in other enclosures.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a bunch Pat. I wish I had a digital camera to document the process, but I will at least take picutes of the final result.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Dammit, I used the wrong dimensions. :b I wrote down what I wanted to use for overall length, width and height. The height was the most critical and I wanted to stay around 18". Well, silly me when I started crunching numbers thought that I meant 18" interior height. Nope... now the stupid thing is too friggin tall. haha, oh well... live and learn. I guess I will either deal with it for now and redo it later, or just demote it to a big ugly box in the corner. :frowning:

Ah well, when I get the tempest finally put in it and hear it playing, that is when I will decide how much I like it. Not too worried about the asthetics at the moment.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine gave me a great idea. I could possibly use it as a TV stand. I like the TV stand I have now, but it isn't made for my TV and there are some notches where the legs would fit that are pretty apparent.

If I use this enclosure as a TV stand, how would I go about magneticly shielding the TV from the magnet? Would I need a decent sized bucking magnet and a roll of sheet metal?

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
No, I actually did not get around to doing this yet. School started up and low and behold I am broke yet again. I am just now recovering from the purchase of all my books and what not, so I am saving up for the driver itself along with the shielding materials if needed.

Aaron_Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Hahahaha, I have actually done that before. I don't actually like doing it, as I feel like I am whoring myself out. I have a decent job right now (for a college student) so I have income, it is just that I had a big expenditure come up with tuition and books and all. I will eventually get the tempest. Most likely the begining of November.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks