What's new

Going to separates "upgrade backwards" (1 Viewer)

Shane Yates

Stunt Coordinator
I know that many people add amps to their existing receivers pre/outs as an avenue to upgrading or going to separates. But has anyone done this backwards and added a good preamp to their existing receivers pre/ins and used the multichannel amps in their receivers to power their speaker ensemble. Thoughts???

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Not many newer recievers allow this, aas long as you havve Pre-Ins could be possible with analog inputs or an upgradable reciever, used ammps are cheap

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Receiver amps are usually their weakest point. I suppose if you had an older flagship receiver and wanted to support some new format, then you might do this. I tend to think this is another arguement against flagship receivers.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Receiver amps are usually their weakest point. I suppose if you had an older flagship receiver and wanted to support some new format, then you might do this. I tend to think this is another arguement against flagship receivers.
Just purchase a receiver with good amps(enough that fit your needs)and then it won't be a weak point.

JaleelK

Second Unit
But format obsolescence will still rear its ugly head.
Yes, but that's true for separates as well. I think if one is on budget(that's always true for me) an upgradable receiver is the way to. Should I ever move into an extremely large room with really low impendance speakers, I might add a separate amp to my receiver. Also, all new formats doesn't necessarily makes your equipment obsolete.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Well decent amps don't date very quickly. Unfortunately, not many "upgradable" receivers are affordable or have had upgrades released :frowning:.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks