What's new

Going to see Kansas tonight (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Anyone see them on their current tour? While I like their 70's music, I'm not too familiar with their latest stuff. I've heard that the Christian themes that were once undertones are now more pronounced.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I saw them in the late 90s. Almost everything they played was from the 70s (which is what I wanted to hear anyway). I wouldn't expect to hear many new songs tonight.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
I saw them in Pittsburgh earlier this year. Great show if you like the old stuff. I'd be happy to provide spoilers if you want, but I can tell you that almost the entire show is made up of 70s material, and they were in very good form. They are still very popular here for some reason. They've said that they are bigger in Western PA than anywere else, so they always have a big crowd and lots of enthusiasm.

Chris

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
They played very well. Mostly 70s stuff, and almost all of the songs of Leftoverture. Steve Walsh's vocals seemed to improve as the night went on.

The only disappointment was the crowd size -- I'd say only 700 or so were there.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Brian,

You might like the Live DVD they have out if you don't already have it.

Funny thing, after the first tune on it I was very afraid of what Steve was going to sound like throughout the concert, but he definitely improved as the DVD went on. Maybe he should warm up before the shows!

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
I saw them last year with Styx. They basically played a shorter version of the Live DVD ("Device, Voice, Drum"). I, too, was very disappointed with Walsh's vocals on the DVD. I'm not sure if they improved much as the show progressed, but there were definitely spots where his singing got better (Dust in the Wind, for instance). It almost sounded like there was some effect on his voice, either that or a chicken bone stuck in his throat. The good news is that in concert, he sounded great. They can all still play very well, though I miss the original guitarist. Is he still alive? What's the deal with him? Does anyone else think that the new guitarist looks like a cross between a truck driver and a pirate? How the hell does he play guitar with those sausage fingers?

Anyway, their three-part harmonies are great. Wow, that bass player can sing! They should just let him do the lead vocals. His "solo" spot in Cheyenne Anthem gives me chills every time, especially considering the words he's singing, and it beats the crap out of the children singing on the studio version.

I highly recommend the DVD. My system and DVD collection are modest, but I think it sounds great. You can tell the drummer produced it--his drums fill the room. The picture is a bit grainy, though. I wish they hadn't shot it on film. Oh, and the Animusic CGI accompaniment is cool during "Miracles Out of Nowhere." I freaked when I realized everything I was seeing was exactly in synch with the music, down to each individual instrument. Be sure and check out the Animusic preview on the special features section. I liked it so much, I ordered the Animusic DVD (which is very cool, btw).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks