Going to Sears to buy a Cyberhome!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MannyE, Apr 6, 2004.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    My two-year old twins have learned the words "play" and "eject". So it is time for them to destroy their own player...not my Sony!

My Sony is so old (DVP-300)that a quick glance at the cyberhome unit shows many more features, but I wonder how it will compare in pic and sound.

I really wonder! Considering the Sony cost me 399 way back in the stone ages, I could have bought 10! cyberhome players for that...lol

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Good luck with the CH and the twins, I'm sure they'll enjoy destroying it!

I wouldn't consider any CH as a replacement for your Sony, no matter how old it is. I'm sure there will be people that pop up and disagree with that, but I can only go by my own experience. Not that your twins would notice, but while my CH 500 has a nice detailed picture, it can't output the same color twice in a row. I'd calibrate the set for it, turn the player off, turn it back on and the color was off again. Readjust, turn it off, and the color would be off again... mildly frustrating at best [​IMG] Combine that with its other 'excentricities' and it quickly became the player in the my spare bedroom.

If you want an inexpensive player that actually has good sound and vid quality to replace your main player I'd suggest the Toshiba SD 4900. Sub $100 now, and a very solid, well reviewed player.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Depending on the type of TV and sound system you have, that Sony DVP-300 can still be a fine player. That was the first DVD player I purchased back in 1998, and it still is in use in our bedroom connected to a 27-inch analog Sony Trinitron.

The player does a fine job of downconverting anamorphic widescreen titles for a 4x3 display. It's biggest shortcomings are no progressive scan video output and no support for DTS via the digital outputs.

4. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

certainly not getting mad at anyone here, but there seems to be a lot of Cyberhome bashing on the dear old HTF lately...i think everyone needs to understand that, of course these players arent magnificent quality (tho im pleased w/ mine so far), they are what I like to call a "nerd niche" product, in that (specifically) the Cyberhome 500 was one of the VERY few and by FAR the cheapest player to properly play other region DVD's & correctly do anamorphic on PAL discs...while not a concern to 99.9% of people, these players were highly sought after by those of us who want to be able to watch ANY DVD from just about ANYWHERE in proper aspect ratio (small % of discs admittedly flummox this player-only one I own that works really poorly was a Region 2 PAL disc of Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive)

so there [​IMG] hehe

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

What is a Cyberhome?

6. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

It is a dwelling in which nerds reside. [​IMG]

7. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Um... thanks, Jamie.

I did a google search and found the brand/unit you are talking about.

I guess I need to get out more. I thought I'd heard of most brands: Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, etc.

...but not "CyberHome".

It does look like a good unit for "worry free" access by little fingers. [​IMG] My eight-year-old son regularly stands on a little end table to reach the disturbingly-thin disk drawer on my Sony 9000ES DVD/SACD player. One of these days, that's going to be an $1800 topple...

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

It's in the class of AMW, Amex, Daytek, etc...the uber cheap DVD players and other electronics. I remember seeing
    *STACKS* of Polariod DVD/VCR combos behind the return desk at a local Best Buy. They were selling them for $149...the only problem? It wasn't a DVD/VCR combo...it was a DVD/VCP. And of course, the sales people weren't with the tour any more than the consumers were.